Teachers' Day in Thailand: Yet more violence meted out to female students

webfact

6 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I agree 100%.  If you ever see a girl in a bar being exploited or drinking too much, I must step in!!!!  If i see corruption during a traffic stop, I act!!!  If I see someone burning something, I take action!!! If I see bad products being sold, I protest!!!  If I see any type of reckless driving, I spring to action!!!! 

Defenseless children.

If you cannot think about that, you have no business being a teacher.

All so you can earn 20k thb a month

Shameful

Edited by bwpage3

29 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Doubt many of the tough guys here have experienced this, Not really that painful.

The school I attended it was almost a badge of honour, only ever saw one that must have been painful for a few days, six of the best and the guy came into class. Teacher told him to sit down, he said "I can't sir", was called to the front of the class to show why, Blood blisters about 4 inches long on both cheeks. Yep that looked a bit painful.

Produced some fine educated young men and sportsmen that school. I don't know of one that bleated about the disciplinary procedure, you stepped over the line, a little pain on the other side was part of the risk.

I'm sure you all enjoyed a good rogering to go with it.  All good character building stuff eh!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I'm sure you all enjoyed a good rogering to go with it.  All good character building stuff eh!  

Taught us how to show a little respect rather than sympathy for the less fortunate - enjoy your day ????

Edited by 473geo

12 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Teachers here get away with bullying, assault and incompetence and it's time they were made accountable.

Add to that bribery and corruption. 

Payment for placement in schools. 

Pass grades for non performing students. 

Etc etc. 

17 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

After watching this, please don't tell me that Thailand is anything other than a backward 3rd World country.

No place for this type of behaviour in a modern society.

If this had happened in the UK, the teacher would have got jail time.

or been knifed on the high street

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PMZ said:

I have two sons, 17 and 20 years, western, but grew up in Bangkok. Neither parent has ever issued any physical punishment and nor has their school (Intl school in Bangkok).

They have grown to be fine young men (not without the odd problem along the way of course), but it is perfectly possible to instil discipline and respect without physical punishment.

I agree but that isn't always the case, some are just outside the norm and don't respond to reason. I have never ever had to use physical punishment on my 12 year old son but I can well imagine that some of his friends would benefit from it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

And you just continue to look at that and do nothing? Great!

And you think that the solution is violent punishment? What cave did you just walk out from?

obviously one with rules and discipline. I can remember at my school in the 'old days' where oficial punishment was given for unruly behaviour 'the book and cane', the book where the punishment was recorded had to be collected from the head master along with the cane, there was always silence in the classroom. The noise in the classrooms at my son's school here is unbelievable, no discipline. The way this teacher handed out punishment was of course way over the top where not only extreme violence was used but degrading language as well. Punishment shouldn't intimidate and degrade but be used as a correction, 'this far and no more'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely shocking, and the comments. He should be given the same treatment at the local police station then sacked.

You can see his really putting his back into the whipping of that child. If I were the parent I'd put that guy in the hospital.

He has to now face the students in his class and as they matriculate through school. No shame. What an ignorant fool.

I've taught over 2000 Thai students. The girls are especially good in class. What possibly could this girl have done to warrant such a thrashing?!

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

The Lefties throw up arguments, and highlighted the very occasional parent that had gone over the top in bygone days as examples (these were extremes not the norms), and used it as a tool to abolish all forms of punishment leading to the child to believe they could do anything without fear of being punished.

All forms of punishment have not been abolished. Just the one that has been proven beyond doubt to do much more harm than good and has no place in a civilised society......corporal punishment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

After watching this, please don't tell me that Thailand is anything other than a backward 3rd World country.

No place for this type of behaviour in a modern society.

If this had happened in the UK, the teacher would have got jail time.

Good to see this has gone out on thai social network and he is in for some flack.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

All forms of punishment have not been abolished. Just the one that has been proven beyond doubt to do much more harm than good and has no place in a civilised society......corporal punishment.

Hahahaha,

Yeah, make them sit on the ' naughty step ' for 15 minutes or take the computer out of their bedroom for 2 hours. What kind of a stupid, soft, half hearted, ineffective solution is that?

Proven beyond doubt by whom?  Nonsense!

You mean selective statistics?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

Good to see this has gone out on thai social network and he is in for some flack.

I'm not even sure that's true. One report said that it wasn't the same guy. Call me when the guy gets flack from his superiors. I won't hold my breath.

My son came home from school when he was 5 and told us that his teacher had smacked him. Went to the school the next day, with my wife, and asked to speak to the headmaster. Point blank refused. Eventually had a meeting with the head of department. We asked to see the teacher concerned. Point blank refused. HoD said that she would speak to the teacher and monitor the situation for a couple of weeks. My son didn't spend another day in that school.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Parents and teachers are banned from hitting children in the UK. Worst move they ever made. 

Children without discipline often grow up to be an uncontrollable rabble. Look at the problems we have with crime in the UK especially in London, the knife crime capital of Europe.

There is discipline and then there is assault with a weapon - the latter appears to be the case here!  I firmly believe in discipline but I draw the line on assault.

• Like 1

I read an article once how at a major football match in London in 1912 there was only one horse mounted policeman necessary and that was only needed as a crowd comforter, not to combat violence, how things have changed, lack of discipline at home and at schools and mickey mouse punishments handed down by the courts. Reasonable corporal punishment at schools wouldn't be a bad thing, it is more a shaming than paining, I know, I have had the cane doled out to me in front of the class on several occasions.

16 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Hahahaha,

Yeah, make them sit on the ' naughty step ' for 15 minutes or take the computer out of their bedroom for 2 hours. What kind of a stupid, soft, half hearted, ineffective solution is that?

It's been proven by exhaustive research by child psychologists in several countries. People who know far more about child behaviour than either you or I.

The solutions you suggest are very effective. Have brought 2 kids up that way and they are now a credit to society and me. Now bringing a third child up that way (Thai). His behaviour has improved immeasurably since I became responsible for his care.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

With a 9 year old daughter at school here in Thailand I see this and think if that was my kid getting beaten how would the school/police react to the corporal punishment I would be handing out to the teacher in question.

and then get arrested and maybe sent back to your own country, that would help your daughter no end. Never act in anger, was taught to me from an early age.

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

and then get arrested and maybe sent back to your own country, that would help your daughter no end. Never act in anger, was taught to me from an early age.

Watch the video again (if you can, I can't) and tell me that the teacher wasn't acting in anger. His words and actions tell the story.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

all the Thai people i've spoken to this say the girl is in the wrong

they also say the girl admitted wrongdoing and the matters now closed

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

all the Thai people i've spoken to this say the girl is in the wrong

they also say the girl admitted wrongdoing and the matters now closed

All the Thais that I've spoken to have said that the teacher is wrong but mitigate it by saying that it's the Thai way. They also said that it only happens in state schools and doesn't happen in private/international schools. My next door neighbour went to the same school as my son now attends, a mixed Thai/international school. Assures me that it would never happen there. I also questioned the staff before placing my son there and they assured me that they had a very firm policy against corporal punishment by teachers.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

If my daughter is not safe here then going back would be no bad thing.

47 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Hahahaha,

Maybe go and eat some potato and onion broth, ‘calm down, calm down’ !