Thailand faces a reality check

webfact

17 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Why don't they just count those entering on tourist visas as tourists? Surely that would give them a more accurate number?

In that case people like myself would never be counted i.e. those that are lucky enough to come from countries that are visa exempt, visit for more traditional "tourist" time scales and visit numerous times per year. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

And there we have it. I "arrived" in Thailand 6 times last year. I would imagine there are many more that do the same. The "tourist" numbers that they constantly spout are nonsense. Why don't they just count those entering on tourist visas as tourists? Surely that would give them a more accurate number?

Agree the figures are nonsense, but not with your suggestion that people on tourist visas only should be counted. Most tourists would probably visit for a week or two on visa exempt entry (or visa on arrival for Indian and Chinese). 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

And there we have it. I "arrived" in Thailand 6 times last year. I would imagine there are many more that do the same. The "tourist" numbers that they constantly spout are nonsense. Why don't they just count those entering on tourist visas as tourists? Surely that would give them a more accurate number?

No it won't. Many countries have a 30 day visa exempt agreement. I live in Australia and have been to Thailand nearly 40 times, never with a visa as we only stay for 3 or 4 weeks.

• Thanks 1

Tourism may be down but it still took me an hour to drive into Pattaya from Phoenix Golf Course last Saturday evening. The roads were chocker with tour buses, I had to fight my way through mobs of Chinese and Russians strolling around and I couldn't get a table in the Beer Garden at the end of Walking Street. If you want to eat there these days, I'd advise you to get there before 6.30pm. I also did my 90 report at Jomtien a couple of weeks back and you couldn't move in the office. Arrived at about 10am and I was there for about 45 mins, everyone in front of me seemed to have problems, what's up with them? My report took about 30 secs as usual.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

I did seven

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SuwadeeS said:

Why do they count all these transit tourist, who only stop over and change a flight as their own tourists??

I'm pretty sure they only count if they clear Thai Immigration, though of course many do have a one night stopover before departing to their next destination.

Saying that, I've never transitted in Thailand to another country. Do you have to fill in a TM6 form if you are just staying in the airport?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Change accurate to embarrassing and I'll give you a 'like'.

Why let reality get in the way of a good story.  By the way don't forget to include the tourists filling in TM30 forms when travelling inside Thailand. Travelling to Pattaya and Chiang Mai counts as 2 tourists. You have your Pattaya "sexpat" tourist and your "tree hugging" Chiang Mai tourist. Completely different tourists. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I'm pretty sure they only count if they clear Thai Immigration, though of course many do have a one night stopover before departing to their next destination.

Saying that, I've never transitted in Thailand to another country. Do you have to fill in a TM6 form if you are just staying in the airport?

See post 23

With my multiple entry visa, I have no doubt they counted my 3 entries last year as incoming tourist data.

And with Thailand’s overpriced Baht (did anyone see yesterday’s inversion—Chinese Yuan up again with USD and paired currencies down by an equal amount and trading pattern)—Thailand has lost its luster.

1 minute ago, Isaan sailor said:

With my multiple entry visa, I have no doubt they counted my 3 entries last year as incoming tourist data.

And with Thailand’s overpriced Baht (did anyone see yesterday’s inversion—Chinese Yuan up again with USD and paired currencies down by an equal amount and trading pattern)—Thailand has lost its luster.

If you make three trips into Thailand from another country, sure you will get counted as three people in the course of the year. Please do us a favor don't move about so much, you're screwing up the stats. ????

• Haha 2

"But simple arithmetic rules suggest that expecting 10% annual growth rates even when annual volumes reach 40 million could be overly ambitious.  Growth rates are bound to fall as the volumes hit mega levels".

This is not dissimilar to Thai GDP, when it reaches a certain level the growth rate has to slow, it can't keep on growing exponentially every year, it is after all the second largest in SE Asia. So people claiming that Vietnam's GDP growth outstrips Thailand by almost double need to remember that Vietnam's GDP is half of Thailand's.