Thailand faces a reality check

webfact

19 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

And there we have it. I "arrived" in Thailand 6 times last year. I would imagine there are many more that do the same. The "tourist" numbers that they constantly spout are nonsense. Why don't they just count those entering on tourist visas as tourists? Surely that would give them a more accurate number?

why should "they" (TAT i.a.) do this? they just build a smoke screen as gigantic as possible for multiple reasons (politics, commercial gains, entertainment industry etc.). This country is all about "hot air", just let them puff away...

• Like 1

I travel to Malaysia and Singapore for work at least once a month - that's 12 arrivals in a year from me alone. Geez... if these guys get any further from reality, they WILL fall off the surface of the earth. Yes, trust them to be capable of doing THAT.

Edited by outsider
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, thurien said:

why should "they" (TAT i.a.) do this? they just build a smoke screen as gigantic as possible for multiple reasons (politics, commercial gains, entertainment industry etc.). This country is all about "hot air", just let them puff away...

If all 145,000 Western expats living in Thailand, exited and reentered Thailand three times a year that would do what for TAT's numbers, reduce them by 0.5 million! Please, get real!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

No it won't. Many countries have a 30 day visa exempt agreement. I live in Australia and have been to Thailand nearly 40 times, never with a visa as we only stay for 3 or 4 weeks.

Simple: include those arriving visa exempt...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

And how many of those people are counted multiple times because they travel for work?

And don't forget the tens of thousands of Malaysians who cross the border every week-end or so, to enjoy the Thai life and beaches...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

And there we have it. I "arrived" in Thailand 6 times last year. I would imagine there are many more that do the same. The "tourist" numbers that they constantly spout are nonsense. Why don't they just count those entering on tourist visas as tourists? Surely that would give them a more accurate number?

Exactly. 

One year I had 14 sets of stamps when working for Ford on the Ranger.

Even after retirement and the last two years, I have had 13 sets of stamps due to family issues etc.

Well picked up..

1 hour ago, saengd said:

People in transit do not get counted for TAT figures, neither do land crossings, I posted the AOT airplane traffic stats. from 2018 which seem to corroborate TAT numbers.

https://www.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Annual-Airport-2018.pdf

Of course they must include land crossings. All the Malaysians for their overnight Hat Yai trips; border runners to Cambodia and Myanmar; they're all counted.

Don't forget the airport figures include Thai nationals.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

And how long do the tourists stay these days? The Chinese/Indians stay a few days while the westerners stay 10-20 days in places like Bali...

The numbers are really not important.   They need to somehow calculate this into $ spent.  They should also track things like if people will likely return or will they promote or trash Thailand  with friends and family and social  media.  

They should ask what are positive and negative  memories.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Of course they must include land crossings. All the Malaysians for their overnight Hat Yai trips; border runners to Cambodia and Myanmar; they're all counted.

Don't forget the airport figures include Thai nationals.

You say "must" as though there's some empirical and compelling reason why, care to explain?

This aspect has been covered many times on TVF, if you look at the AOT report you'll see the numbers correlate to higher than TAT's figures. And since most land border traffic comprises mostly traders and merchants rather than tourists it would be silly to try and include them.

I agree the report does not distinguish between Thais and foreigners.

2 hours ago, saengd said:

People in transit do not get counted for TAT figures, neither do land crossings, I posted the AOT airplane traffic stats. from 2018 which seem to corroborate TAT numbers.

https://www.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Annual-Airport-2018.pdf

Ah, the voice of reason. I'm with you mate, but there's little in the way of reason to be had here.

China is on 'Little New Year' as of today, the time when businesses start to wind down and people start to move before the main event. No doubt the 20m people taking overseas holiday will all be packing into Da Nang.............

• Haha 1