World Bank lists steps for stalled Thailand to become high-income nation

webfact

18 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I have some experience translating the gobbly-gook of WB reports.

"Thailand; unless you reform your Education System greatly, you will forever remain a backwards, low-growth country that perpetually envies more advanced places. And, all of your neighbours (beginning with Vietnam) will surpass you over time (including Burma). Period."

The key to this report, although they don't say it plainly, is that the growth of productivity requires a well-educated workforce. And, a well-educated workforce requires massive, massive reforms in all levels of the Thai Education system.

Step 1. Enter the Headquarters building of the Thai Education Ministry and fire everyone working there. Immediately. Literally everyone. These people created and perpetuate the current hideous, child's brain-killing monster.

Step 2. Enter the office of every Provincial Education Ministry office in the land and fire the top ten staffers. Immediately.

Yes, this might sound dramatic, but it is a serious proposal. These are the people who created the current, unsustainable, Frankensteinian-working mess and there is no doubt in my mind that they are unable to fix it. Fire them today, literally today.

Step 3. A massive audit of how Education System monies are spent to catch all the theft. Fire at will. Fire thousands. Then fire another thousand or two 'pour encourager les autres'.

Step 4. Make each Head of School responsible for the grades of their students and unless more than 50% of students pass the standard test each year, fire them. Immediately.

Then, begin the real reform of the Education System. With a chain saw.

I am completely serious about every word in this post; it is only the blueprint to getting started...

Serious you may be, realistic you are not.  Keep dreaming.

• Sad 1

What does it say about a country when only the street walkers/bar girls and ladyboys speak a smattering of English ? The average knowledge of Thai students is incredibly low. I was told by Thai friends in Bangkok years ago that you could get your kids higher grades if the money was right. Similar to India.The poor people in Thailand are oppressed and have no future. I see more and more homeless families on the streets, and more drunks/drugged than ever before !  Shame.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, geisha said:

What does it say about a country when only the street walkers/bar girls and ladyboys speak a smattering of English ? The average knowledge of Thai students is incredibly low. I was told by Thai friends in Bangkok years ago that you could get your kids higher grades if the money was right. Similar to India.The poor people in Thailand are oppressed and have no future. I see more and more homeless families on the streets, and more drunks/drugged than ever before !  Shame.

hiso kids speak excellent english in fact many families i know of its first language even at home. as one of my friends told me when i commented on it "of course the we speak english at home, cannot conduct (international) business in thai!"

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Yes. The problem at hand is that the fingerprints of mad Uncle Too and his shower of armed interlopers cannot now successfully be razed from what has become the tragedy of political Thailand.. In other words mad Uncle Too is largely responsible for the fiasco that is Thailand today. Unfortunately the world has moved on from the days of mad Uncle Too’s youth. These days nobody cares who is doing it for; or for what (he thinks is a) worthy purpose. The whole concept of Armed Forces taking over a government is anathema to most thinking people these days, and the disdain in which Mr Prayuth is held by other world leaders, which is evident from the photo shoots which inevitably proceed from world leader meetings is clear and obvious. So while I don't disagree with any of Samuel's comments regarding the education problem in Thailand, the malaise extends far and wide, so that the same techniques he recommends be adopted to transform the education department, really need to be applied on a much wider basis.

Still, the wheel is turning, times have changed and it is not his fault or mine that mad Uncle Too appears to be locked in a time warp for which there is (for him and his band of merry men) no obvious escape which allows him/them to remain living in Thailand in the long-term. The cultural conventions which have bound the hands and minds of the Thai people for generations are being overturned. Anyone who cannot see this in events in society, is, in my view, just not paying attention.

The wheel will continue to turn and the longer the interlopers remain in power, the more bloody the final outcome is likely to be. Of course they won't take any notice of this, Thais always know best.

ed reprobates have been in power for long enough that their

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

How does Thailand improve productivity when in general people do not want to work but go to work and do as little as possible or do nothing at all.

Yes could blame education but they all managed to figure out how to use Facebook just unable to figure out how to use google for simple self education 

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are many foreigners who speak pretty good Thai, but they are not understood...

Agree with you for all the complex reasons you stated.

Another reason is our brains aren't tuned for tonal language.

Heard a Chinese woman at the Immigration office trying to renew her visa.  Her Thai pronunciation was much more natural sounding than mine.  Perhaps this is because Mandarin is tonal? I wonder how good Vietnam speakers of Thai sound, since that's also tonal?

Yeah, the moo ping vendor this morning was impressed I could speak a little Thai.

But the other day, I ordered Khao Suay and they thought I said Khao Soi.  Suay and Soi sound nothing alike.

Perhaps it's because foreigners typically order Khao Soi and don't use the Thai expression "Khao Suay" for White rice?

IMHO, reading Thai is the most difficult language in the world.  Google Translate Camera can't read it.  Chinese is easy by comparison: one symbol, one word.

20 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I have some experience translating the gobbly-gook of WB reports.

"Thailand; unless you reform your Education System greatly, you will forever remain a backwards, low-growth country that perpetually envies more advanced places. And, all of your neighbours (beginning with Vietnam) will surpass you over time (including Burma). Period."

The key to this report, although they don't say it plainly, is that the growth of productivity requires a well-educated workforce. And, a well-educated workforce requires massive, massive reforms in all levels of the Thai Education system.

Step 1. Enter the Headquarters building of the Thai Education Ministry and fire everyone working there. Immediately. Literally everyone. These people created and perpetuate the current hideous, child's brain-killing monster.

Step 2. Enter the office of every Provincial Education Ministry office in the land and fire the top ten staffers. Immediately.

Yes, this might sound dramatic, but it is a serious proposal. These are the people who created the current, unsustainable, Frankensteinian-working mess and there is no doubt in my mind that they are unable to fix it. Fire them today, literally today.

Step 3. A massive audit of how Education System monies are spent to catch all the theft. Fire at will. Fire thousands. Then fire another thousand or two 'pour encourager les autres'.

Step 4. Make each Head of School responsible for the grades of their students and unless more than 50% of students pass the standard test each year, fire them. Immediately.

Then, begin the real reform of the Education System. With a chain saw.

I am completely serious about every word in this post; it is only the blueprint to getting started...

I can save  much  more  time..........."we  will listen to none of this and  carry on as ever"

38 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

There are many foreigners who speak pretty good Thai, but they are not understood...

Agree with you for all the complex reasons you stated.

Another reason is our brains aren't tuned for tonal language.

Heard a Chinese woman at the Immigration office trying to renew her visa.  Her Thai pronunciation was much more natural sounding than mine.  Perhaps this is because Mandarin is tonal? I wonder how good Vietnam speakers of Thai sound, since that's also tonal?

Yeah, the moo ping vendor this morning was impressed I could speak a little Thai.

But the other day, I ordered Khao Suay and they thought I said Khao Soi.  Suay and Soi sound nothing alike.

Perhaps it's because foreigners typically order Khao Soi and don't use the Thai expression "Khao Suay" for White rice?

IMHO, reading Thai is the most difficult language in the world.  Google Translate Camera can't read it.  Chinese is easy by comparison: one symbol, one word.

Thai is easy. Ever tried Hungarian or Finish, I have.

Wealthy countries MAKE THINGS.  If you look at the wealthy countries of the world.  The USA, China, Germany, Japan, and the U.K.  All of them make products.  Wealth is created when humans add value to raw materials and produce finished products.  The educated work force is great if you are moving to the next step when you have an economy that requires CPA.s, Engineers, Computer Technicians.  However you don't leap frog to that when your only economy is based on tourism and selling natural resources.  With computers the requirement for skilled blue collar workers is diminished.  You need a favorable government policy to encourage companies to locate their manufacturing plants in Thailand versus someplace else.  That will employ Thai's and raise the standard of living for those people and the service providers who sell them clothes, food, cars, etc. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

fixing it would mean those in power slowly will not the care more about themselves than their own people!  But of course Thai don't know that.

Enough of the Thai bashing, this could be said of many governments in the world.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Quite the reverse. The military set up anti corruption committees, especially the saw paw taw, which has reduced corruption remarkably.

Corruption committees that consist of proven corrupted MP's? Sounds great

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2