Satellite counts 126 fire hotspots nationwide – 957 in Cambodia

webfact

Satellite counts 126 fire hotspots nationwide – 957 in Cambodia

By The Nation

800_70ab4059d98baac.jpg?v=1579242822

The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency has reported 126 hotspots across Thailand where fires are burning out of control and likely contributing to haze pollution.

It said on Friday (January 17) its MODIS satellite had picked up 59 hotspots on private farmland, 26 on properties under the Agricultural Land Reform Office, 16 in settled communities, another 16 in national parks and 12 in forest reserves.

In the northern five provinces, fires were burning in 15 places – four each in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, three in Tak, and two each in Lampang and Lamphun. 

Most of these were also in forests and communities and on farmland.

The agency said fire hotspots were declining in number, with 42 fires seen burning in Myanmar, 130 in Laos, 957 in Cambodia and just eight in Malaysia.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380707

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-17
  • Sad 1

Fires out of control? unlikely... Fires deliberatley lit would be nore accurate and im pretty sure its a lot more than that. All the hills around me are on fire now and have been since 1st Jan. Yet it aint on the map....?? More bs. blame aomeone else. I got a few apps to show fires and they are slightly different between the apps strangely but shows more than this.

• Like 1

Why the hell don't (our) asian country governments act to prevent pollution. Give the farmers subsidised tractors instead of allowing them to freaking burn everything. Cambodia is a cesspit, and hasn't Thailand learnt anything, other than vehicle fumes in Bangkok, about health and how carcinogenic pollution from burnt fields sends thousands to their hospital morgues every freaking year?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

Ko Chang, Phagnan and Samui are smoked out thanks to Chinese sugar concessions in Cambodia. Even Phuket has its share of Cambodian smoke.

Screenshot_20200117-083322_AirVisual.jpg

Screenshot_20200117-152738_Samsung Internet.jpg

How dare you suggest that Thailand suffers from imported airborne pollution from neighboring countries,  that just doesn't fit with the forum mantra that all the problems must be Thai made!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Fires? No no, we blame cars and motorbikes. 

Has it ever occurred to you that it could be both?

Burning creates a base level of air pollution, vehicle emissions add to the air pollution, be it on a local scale, mostly in urbanised areas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

Yup...Cambodia has more, that is the reason for us to not do anything!

Starting the blame- game!

While Cambodia obviously has more, Thailand is still completely covered in fire. The blame game is f*^*king absurd here.

97BDF940-6288-4059-9083-D15711384B64.png

• Thanks 2

Well it seems that the arsonists in Cambodia are more active than the Thai or, they make fires at different times!
In my opinion, fires in Thailand should be more!
It would be interesting to know how wide these fires are.

I am a birding enthusiast, and traveled Cambodia for months. The scariest and saddest time in my life was in Cambodia. I saw an extremely rare bird sitting on a burnt tree stump. A Complete wasteland, looked like it had been carpet bombed. Loggers had cut all the trees and burned it bare. Malaysia is another horrible place with palm tree plantations. Thailand was logged and burnt off years ago. 

I think that whole region should be issues a class four travel warning. DO NOT TRAVEL.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Somebody mentioned Chinese are fueling the Cambodian fires by somehow being involved in their sugar cane production? Any details on this?

The smog will only get worse, unless they start shooting the farmers burning their fields. It started a few years ago (farmers switched to sugar cane?) and each year has been worse. Only pause will be the rainy season. No sane tourist will came anywhere in SEA to poison themselves with toxic air. 

its going on since a while now, u can compare it to palm plantages in indonesia and co that destroy everything... Asia is so skrewed...

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/101596/china-asked-buy-sugarcane-cambodia/

<deleted> Cambodia, say what u want about our brainiacs here but the neighbouring countries are even worse

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

The NASA fire map is interesting - Just look at central Africa

image.png.4b743482d00112a078156b565118df68.png

Makes sense, the north can't burn because it's already a desert :X the whole world is so skrewed..... i wouldn't be surprised if we end up in europe as climate refugees sooner or later