Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Bluescope Roof - Metal Sheet with Insulation


Recommended Posts

Having a Bluescope metal insulated roof installed and interested in experience with the product. They are installing the roof exactly like the roof in this thread.

 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/967803-corrugated-roof-with-25mm-insulation-pics-for-your-info/#comments

 

The styrofoam insulation is exposed exactly like the pics in the above thread and this leaves me uneasy about the install.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want to jhear the conversation when you go into Home Pro and ask for the above.  It should be very interesting.

You can see an install of a kliplock system starting at about 3:46 under     there are screws used but only at the top and bottom of each length and they go through the sid

Depending on what type of roof profile. Regular exposed fastener probably last 10 years or more. They will be potentially leaks  eventually unless using boltless roof panel like standing seam or snapl

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, JJNThailand said:

The styrofoam insulation is exposed exactly like the pics in the above thread and this leaves me uneasy about the install.

Why?

if you don’t like the look just pick up some shaped plastic end pieces from any of the big stores.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Why?

if you don’t like the look just pick up some shaped plastic end pieces from any of the big stores.

I have seen stryofoam in the elements and it crumbles apart. Granted its not Bluescope S-foam.

 

Will look into end pieces at Bluescope and HomePro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JJNThailand said:

I have seen stryofoam in the elements and it crumbles apart. Granted its not Bluescope S-foam.

 

Will look into end pieces at Bluescope and HomePro.

That isn’t polystyrene (stryofoam) it’s PU foam.

 

HomePro may have them but Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu are more likely sources.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JJNThailand said:

I have seen stryofoam in the elements and it crumbles apart. Granted its not Bluescope S-foam.

Thank you for opening this thread and sharing your experience.

May I ask you to post the exact details of the material you've used (sources, materials specs etc).

There is a  lot of erroneous, incomplete or confused info being posted here regarding Bluescope and their product.

btw Bluescope are the producer of the steel.

They don't roll-form and/or apply foam to the final product.

When you buy the Bluescope sourced, ready to be installed roof sheets you're dealing with a third party manufacturer (roll former) who purchase rolled steel from Bluescope - Bluescope themeselves don't roll-form their metal and don't apply insulation. They also don't sell thier product directly to retail customers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, unheard said:

Thank you for opening this thread and sharing your experience.

May I ask you to post the exact details of the material you've used (sources, materials specs etc).

There is a  lot of erroneous, incomplete or confused info being posted here regarding Bluescope and their product.

btw Bluescope are the producer of the steel.

They don't roll-form and/or apply foam to the final product.

When you buy the Bluescope sourced, ready to be installed roof sheets you're dealing with a third party manufacturer (roll former) who purchase rolled steel from Bluescope - Bluescope themeselves don't roll-form their metal and don't apply insulation. They also don't sell thier product directly to retail customers.

 

A wifes relative is installing and was trained by Bluescope according to the shop.  Bluescope did not know he is a relative and recommended that he does the install due to experience, customer feedback and being trained on the product. The shop is in Thay Yang and it says Bluescope on the building and they have Bluescope brochures with many examples on display. Its a professional style shop similar to something in the US.

 

Sorry, thats all I know.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by JJNThailand
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JJNThailand said:

The shop is in Thay Yang and it says Bluescope on the building and they have Bluescope brochures with many examples on display.

Thanks,

they are probably one of the authorized dealers.

http://www.bluescope.co.th/bluescope-authorized-dealer-en/

 

 

Edited by unheard
Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the shop and a salesmen that has been there from the beginning, 10 years ago, said their is a special paint, has some glue/adhesive in it, that should be used to protect the PU-Foam from UV and moisture.  Many people do leave it exposed although that is not ideal or preferred so to speak.

 

They do sell a filler strip but that would not work for our application.

 

Please understand the above information was translated to me.

 

I will ask the installer, relative, what he knows about the special paint.

 

As UnHeard mentioned, and I confirmed it from this shop, the metal is from Bluescope and the PU-Foam is from another company. Their are various thicknesses of metal and foam. The better warranty follows thickness and price.  I did not get the name of the company. My interpreter, aka wife, gets frustrated when I act like a farang and ask a lot of questions and details 😉

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JJNThailand said:

Went to the shop and a salesmen that has been there from the beginning, 10 years ago, said their is a special paint, has some glue/adhesive in it, that should be used to protect the PU-Foam from UV and moisture.  Many people do leave it exposed although that is not ideal or preferred so to speak.

Any oil paint will work to protect from UV and closed cell PU foam, is poor at absorbing moisture and any oil paint will protect it from that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You might consider having the thin Furm I think it’s 3 mm glued on the underside of the <deleted> SHEET, and using Rockwall on top of the ceilings

I’ve done this and I think it’s a good working combination that’s a good price

One thing I didn’t think about but Rich is happening for example even this evening… Not a particularly cold night… Is that the there is condensation dripping down the roof and spotting on the ground. This is a relevant Irrelevant where the ground is just plants or earth But bum will get green marks on the concrete of a carport for example our carport for example… A little unsightly.
This kind of gross be fixed with guttering

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 10:35 PM, unheard said:

Thank you for opening this thread and sharing your experience.

May I ask you to post the exact details of the material you've used (sources, materials specs etc).

There is a  lot of erroneous, incomplete or confused info being posted here regarding Bluescope and their product.

btw Bluescope are the producer of the steel.

They don't roll-form and/or apply foam to the final product.

When you buy the Bluescope sourced, ready to be installed roof sheets you're dealing with a third party manufacturer (roll former) who purchase rolled steel from Bluescope - Bluescope themeselves don't roll-form their metal and don't apply insulation. They also don't sell thier product directly to retail customers.

I have Bluescope on my roof now for 6 years and have nothing but praise for the product however I dont have the insulation.  Maybe things have changed over the years but I dealt direct with Bluescope in Khon Kaen at that time and to my knowledge Bluescope did the rollforming, in fact they used to have a truck that could come to your property to roll form and cut on the spot if the order was big enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ireckonso said:

Just out of curiosity what justifies the cost of a bluescope roof ? compared to a conventional steel frame in thailand.

The conversation if I follow correctly refers to the roof sheeting, not the frame although when I dealt with them in Khon Kaen 6 years ago they could also deal with the frame.

 

I picked this product over others having had experience with it back in OZ where it has a very good reputation for quality.  The coating on the sheets is multi layered for both corrosion proofing and heat reflection.  The sheeting I purchased was also designated as "Clean" meaning the coating also is finished in a way that it doesnt collect stains etc.  You have the option to install using a "kliplock"* bracket from Bluescope that is fixed to the battens underneath the sheet which enables the sheets to be basically clipped on rather than using fasteners.  Holes for fasteners is usually the first point on any metal roof where corrosion starts.  The sheeting comes in various thicknesses of which I picked one of the thickest for the reason that you dont need so many rafters and battens.  From memory, by using a thicker sheet I reduced my rafter and batten steel requirements by 50% but am still able to walk anywhere on the roof rather than only on the batten lines.

 

It is quite expensive but in my opinion well worth it and you do get a 30 year guarantee from a company that has been around a long time and is here to stay due to the quality of its products. 

 

*  The kliplock fixing system is only recommended for roofs with a closed ceiling.  When I built the verandah around my house I used fasteners because there is no ceiling but believe now after using the product it would be still safe to use the brackets so long as you are not building in an area of high winds.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Maybe things have changed over the years but I dealt direct with Bluescope in Khon Kaen at that time and to my knowledge Bluescope did the rollforming, in fact they used to have a truck that could come to your property to roll form and cut on the spot if the order was big enough.

I think you've dealt with Lysaght - the roll-former and steel frame producer, partially owned by Bluescope.

And that's being an example of confusion I was talking about earlier since many assume that they're dealing directly with Bluescope, and not their subsidiaries or third party entities.

I would agree that Bluescope are not particularly clear or care to make it obvious since most and foremost they only want to promote their brand name, not name recognition of the distributors.

Edited by unheard
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, unheard said:
12 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Maybe things have changed over the years but I dealt direct with Bluescope in Khon Kaen at that time and to my knowledge Bluescope did the rollforming, in fact they used to have a truck that could come to your property to roll form and cut on the spot if the order was big enough.

I think you've dealt with Lysaght - the roll-former and steel frame producer, partially owned by Bluescope.

And that's being an example of confusion I was talking about earlier since many assume that they're dealing directly with Bluescope, and not their subsidiaries or third party entities.

The rollforming factory in Bann Hart Khon Kaen is, according to BlueScope Steel, one of the few rollforming factories that are BlueScopeSteel entities.

 

The company is BlueScope Lysaght Thailand, not Lysaght, and is a BlueScope steel production company as well as a rollformer.

 

You seem not to understand the structure of modern corporations in that often individual facilities are different companies. So @ThaiFelix was dealing with BlueScopeSteel (as I have). Lysaght is a BlueScopeSteel corporation manufacturing name, not a third party rollformer.

 

 

 

Quote

BlueScope Steel (Thailand) Limited produces metallic coated and prepainted steel products for local and export markets. Our domestic customers range across the construction, appliance, and general manufacturing industries.

Our principal products include Clean COLORBOND® steel and ZINCALUME® steel. Alternative 55% aluminium/zinc coated steel products include ZACS® steel, P-ZACS® steel and SHUTTEREX® steel.

We also manufacture high tensile zinc coated GALVASPAN® steel for structural applications, and TRUZINC® steel for general manufanturing applications. CRP ANTIBACTERIAL™ prepainted steel, on a zinc coated steel base, is also available for use in cool room applications.

Our products are manufactured to stringent Australian, Japanese and other international standards.

BlueScope Steel's Rayong facility operates a pickle line, cold mill, metallic coating lines, paint line and recoil line.

BlueScope Lysaght was founded in 1988 to manufacture quality coated steel building products at Rangsit in Pathumthani Province.

Additional rollforming factories were commissioned in 1996 in Khon Kaen Province, and in Rayong Province during 2002. There are sales offices in Chiang Mai and Had Yai Provinces. In 2006, the first dedicated pre-engineered building fabrication facility in Thailand was commissioned in Rayong Province.

778E2E66-47A3-4274-AB57-8A67AB62B56C.thumb.png.03b8134909d6ab17c5db204b8adbf402.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The rollforming factory in Bann Hart Khon Kaen is, according to BlueScope Steel, one of the few rollforming factories that are BlueScopeSteel entities.

 

The company is BlueScope Lysaght Thailand, not Lysaght, and is a BlueScope steel production company as well as a rollformer.

 

You seem not to understand the structure of modern corporations in that often individual facilities are different companies. So @ThaiFelix was dealing with BlueScopeSteel (as I have). Lysaght is a BlueScopeSteel corporation manufacturing name, not a third party rollformer.

I think you've missed the part where I've mentioned that Lysaght is partially owned by Bluescope.

It might well be that it's majority owned by Bluescope or fully owned by now.  It doesn't really matter.

When you purchase the Bluescope sourced ready-to-be installed roof sheets you deal with a roll-former, period.

Bluescope plants don't roll steel, that's why they've created a separate entity -Bluescope Lysaght with their own roll-forming plants.

Yes you might want to go with the Bluescope's Lysaght end product, it will most likely be the most expensive option for the bare un-insulated Bluescope formed steel.

But from what I've seen Lysaght don't apply insulation to any of its roofing products.

If you want to get the insulated roof you must go with a third-party roll-former, totally unrelated to Bluescope.

That's why I've brought up the confusion part since it's kinda hard to cut through the marketing complexity and know exactly who does what.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@unheard since BlueScope Lysaght Thailand is manufacturing the Bluescope coated products in Rangsit and sending the product to its branch in Khon Kaen for rollforming for Issarn buyers and to Rayong for Central Thailand (they may well be rollforming In Rangsit for all I know) your statements are untrue.

 

BlueScope Lysaght Thailand Is the company name for the Rangsit BlueScope Manufacturing plant and the Khon Kaen and Rayong branch’s.

 

qed BlueScope both manufactures the product and rollforms it. 

 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a large single plane roof installed last year - from Bluescope with 25mm Bonded insulation. It's super cool, quiet and I am very happy with it thus far. I talked about it a lot in the thread listed below. If you have any questions about it I would be happy to give my opinon.

 

My roof: 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, unheard said:

I think you've missed the part where I've mentioned that Lysaght is partially owned by Bluescope.

No it isn’t Lysaght is a BlueScope trading name.

4C0CC7D3-F855-40B8-B1F4-106C937EC066.jpeg.670d149f5f18fde12ab6ce98550090a3.jpeg


At least that is what BlueScope thinks, the above is from an install and reference guide.

 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No it isn’t Lysaght is a BlueScope trading name.

4C0CC7D3-F855-40B8-B1F4-106C937EC066.jpeg.670d149f5f18fde12ab6ce98550090a3.jpeg


At least that is what BlueScope thinks, the above is from an install and reference guide.

 

Marketing is what creates the confusion for the reasons I've mentioned above.

Please read the history of Lysaght, the company:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysaght_(Australian_company)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JimShortz said:

I have a large single plane roof installed last year - from Bluescope with 25mm Bonded insulation. It's super cool, quiet and I am very happy with it thus far.

Thank you JimShortz for posting your experience.

There was another thread somewhere here posted as a warning describing the low quality of insulation that starts to fall off shortly after the install.

Also the prevalent assumption here is when you buy a Bluescope insulated roof it's a quality product based on the Bluescope's reputation.

Based on my research that statement is only partially true since Bluescope don't apply insulation.

That made me wonder of the long term durability of insulation that is applied by a number of third party vendors.

Since Bluescope want to promote their name recognition and create easiness of one-stop shopping through their authroized distributor network it's exceedingly difficult to find out the sorce of installed insulation.

For example, I remember seeing an angry rant in one the threads here describing a problem with deteriorating insulation.

The poster has contacted NS Bluescope with no response.

Then he contacted Bluescope Australia.

The response he's gotten referred him back to the place where he's made the purchase since Bluescope don't install or guarantee quality of insulation.

But he couldn't possibly know that (at least without spending lots of time trying to figure it all out).

So his conclusion was that Bluescope don't stand by their product which is obviously nonsense.

They stand by their product not the Insulation which is a third party option.

That's the only reason why I'm spending time here trying to get feedback on the sourcing of insulated Bluescope roofs.

btw, have you had a chance to look around at the shop where you've made your purchase?

Do they do any material processing on-site?

Judging by the picture it looks like it's just a store front with a warehouse.

shop.PNG.1f70506105b5f1949388fef4ace9a654.PNG

 

Edited by unheard
Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've gathered so far the "Authorized dealer" scheme follows this model:

 

"Home owners will now be able to visit a BlueScope Authorized Dealer Retail Store and understand more about metal roofing requirements by trained professionals, then have contractors use the best possible materials, product range and colors when it comes to the home roofing system."

In other words Bluescope signs up the willing shops to become dealers then provide training and marketing tools targeting the home owners.

The dealer is a middle man providing services and tools interfacing the home owner in helping to make a decision on the materials and installation.

The home owner doesn't need to know the inner workings of the concept.

The home owner chooses the materials among the offered options then the dealer selects the source of the materials based on the dealer's own contacts/agreements with the third party factories.

Since the dealer is a middle man deserving its cut one can assume that it's possible to acquire cheaper prices if dealing with those third party vendors directly.

At this point it's impossible to tell, without calling those vendors directly.

If someone has a better explanation of the model please let me know.

 

a quick search for PU Foam roofing vendors:

 

https://suntechsteel.com/product-detail.php?cate_id=1&id=1

https://www.bkpathum.com/product-category/pu/

 

I'm sure there are more out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont see how the thicker, 25mm PU, can fall away from the metal roof on our installation and the link posted instillation above. The PU's only enemy is UV.  The thicker PU has its own structural characteristics and if it does separate from the metal roofing material the rafters will definitely hold it in place.

 

That being said, the silver lining could possibly separate from the PU and hang down. This lining material is very very thin and not like the older style foam with silver lining that can commonly be seen in shops and separated from the roof material and hanging down. 

 

The PU warranty comments above are interesting. Im going to stop by the shop and discuss with them. My understanding is that the entire roof, metal and PU, has a 30 year warranty.  We shall see....  The shop did say the quality of PU and glue is a lot better then the older, thinner, PU foam and is no longer a problem.

 

I will also try to find out the PU company and their location that the local shop sources from. Understand though, my wife gets frustrated after asking several questions and if the sales people are evasive with providing that info its beyond my control. 

 

Edited by JJNThailand
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...