Bluescope Roof - Metal Sheet with Insulation

JJNThailand

1 hour ago, JJNThailand said:

The PU warranty comments above are interesting. Im going to stop by the shop and discuss with them. My understanding is that the entire roof, metal and PU, has a 30 year warranty.  We shall see....

I will also try to find out the PU company and their location that the local shop sources from. Understand though, my wife gets frustrated after asking several questions and if the sales people are evasive with providing that info its beyond my control. 

Thank you Sir!

Would greatly appreciate your effort.

Here is the info for the Thayang Phetchaburi Bluescope retailer:

4 Months ago they bought their own machine to install PU onto the Bluescope roofing material. The machine costs 12 MIllion bht and looks impressive. Very large and computerized. (first 3 pics)

The PU is "not" warrantied.  This was bit of a surprise since it was not mentioned when discussing their products and warranties. They showed us Bluescope roofing materials with PU installed and said it has a 30 year warranty.

This shop does the fabricating of the raw Bluescope metal rolls. They stock rolls of Bluescope, bend it to shape, cut it to length. If necessary the add bends or round ends depending on building requirements and design.

They have been selling Bluescope for ~10 years and used to send it out to get the PU added. They claim to have zero complaints.

The thin style, old style, foam backing lasts only 3-5 years. They sell this also. All the materials used with the new PU machine are different then the thin backing faom. Including the silver lining material and adhesives.

They sell direct to the public and deliver all over Thailand with free delivery within reason.

Bluescope shops like theirs is a Franchise.  Although not territorial in terms of sales and delivery.

The women we spoke with was very nice and accommodating. She offered to show us the manufacturing area and answered all questions without hesitation.  Although the lack of a PU warranty was disappointing, looking at the new computerized equipment took the sting out of it.

83143573_2566379060263718_2494540645016797184_n.jpg

83089280_171662610711419_7108938033348476928_n.jpg

82517957_169801687588264_7081368977577869312_n.jpg

82585727_3391717104203944_5453305626245464064_n (1).jpg

84330215_1507560869397979_163068590990295040_n.jpg

82895316_490813084959448_719552831924731904_n.jpg

Edited by JJNThailand

On 1/17/2020 at 10:35 PM, unheard said:

Thank you for opening this thread and sharing your experience.

May I ask you to post the exact details of the material you've used (sources, materials specs etc).

There is a  lot of erroneous, incomplete or confused info being posted here regarding Bluescope and their product.

btw Bluescope are the producer of the steel.

They don't roll-form and/or apply foam to the final product.

When you buy the Bluescope sourced, ready to be installed roof sheets you're dealing with a third party manufacturer (roll former) who purchase rolled steel from Bluescope - Bluescope themeselves don't roll-form their metal and don't apply insulation. They also don't sell thier product directly to retail customers.

And some of those third  parties are downright <deleted>, Bluescope  dont even answer  emails, I found them useless.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JJNThailand said:

Other misc pics. ie metal forming equipment, store front, behind the store front. A couple hundred yards behind the store front and construction material area is a separate shop specifically for everything Bluescope related (last pic).

82578012_2993368677353758_6330158469995298816_n (1).jpg

83718900_505310200366938_6420402858235002880_n.jpg

82895316_490813084959448_719552831924731904_n.jpg

83065902_261937868102420_3245704358930677760_n.jpg

82737422_210904493408141_7934758629738020864_n.jpg

83217256_480196185999699_1915468135985577984_n.jpg

First warning sign is they are standing on the stuff  already,  be prepared for damaged  sheets  and they dont care one  bit, thats even before its got to you

15 minutes ago, Chazar said:

First warning sign is they are standing on the stuff  already,  be prepared for damaged  sheets  and they dont care one  bit, thats even before its got to you

It was installed a couple days ago and looks great. No dents, perfect paint. 

Another thought, if it was delivered dented, their is no doubt the installer, our relative, would replace it. 

Edited by JJNThailand
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JJNThailand said:

They claim to have zero complaints.

Theyll claim anything to get a  sale, take everything with a pinch of  salt, check every sheet for damage  on delivery, I had two  panels  mangled...........oh and they wanted paying to re deliver

4 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Theyll claim anything to get a  sale, take everything with a pinch of  salt, check every sheet for damage  on delivery, I had two  panels  mangled...........oh and they wanted paying to re deliver

Did you buy from the same shop???? 

If you have a good installer, they will check all deliveries for you. But, its always prudent to personally check deliveries. This holds true even in the US.

Edited by JJNThailand
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JJNThailand said:

Here is the info for the Thayang Phetchaburi Bluescope retailer:

Wow, thank you Sir for a super-comprehensive report from the ground!

The pictures are great also.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JJNThailand said:

It was installed a couple days ago and looks great. No dents, perfect paint. 

Another thought, if it was delivered dented, their is no doubt the installer, our relative, would replace it. 

Yes, that fits with my experience from the same supplier - excellent service, nothing damaged, completely problem free  :-)

I have little doubt that the hard bonded PU (25mm) will be there doing its job for many years to come - It would certainly be my roof covering of choice if doing it again. Also very reasonably priced from this source - MUCH cheaper than the various resellers in the area, and the full choice of products, metal thickness, colours, etc.  Hard not to recommend them!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JimShortz said:

Yes, that fits with my experience from the same supplier...

JimShortz,

I think I'm missing something.

How could it be the same supplier?

You've mentioned in another thread that you've purchased Bluescope roofing at the Chiang Mai store located here:  18.761777, 99.041102 

JJNThailand's reviewed his supplier located in Thayang Phetchaburi .

And judging by the Store front picture it doesn't look like they have big enough of a building to do steel forming and foam bonding onsite, unless it's hidden from the street view on the backside.

shop.PNG

Edited by unheard

On 1/20/2020 at 6:57 PM, JimShortz said:

I have a large single plane roof installed last year - from Bluescope with 25mm Bonded insulation. It's super cool, quiet and I am very happy with it thus far. I talked about it a lot in the thread listed below. If you have any questions about it I would be happy to give my opinon.

My roof: 

My Thai son, in Chiang Mai, added a verandah right around his new house about 7 years back, using bluescope with the insulation already fitted under the sheets.

There has never been a leak (dependant of course of profesional installation), compared to uninsulated steel verandah roofing the noise reduction is amazing, the best example is noise from rain, with bluescope with the insulation there is very little noise, the insulation is still in perfect condition and hasn't detached at all from the steel sheets and hasn't degraded.  The colour on the steel sheets hasn't degraded at all.

The builder told my son he very much prefers to work with the bluescope products, he mentioned that the sheets etc., are easy to handle, easy to understand handouts are easily available, plus the few times he had called bluescope one of their friendly engineers was on site within an hour or less and gave very practcal advice and worked as a team with the construction crew for an hour or so, no charge. 

Son more than happy.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

I would have liked to know about the Bluescope option when I built the new shed 6 years ago.   On the house we put a verandah on East side and the only insulated roofing was some silver foil with a thin layer of foam.....About 5mm.  I am pretty sure the local roofing guy buys it and sticks it on himself. With the shed I  opted for plain roofing but during the hot weather I cannot be in there 12 till 3. Even with 3 swing fans blowing it's no good. 

50 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

I would have liked to know about the Bluescope option when I built the new shed 6 years ago.   On the house we put a verandah on East side and the only insulated roofing was some silver foil with a thin layer of foam.....About 5mm.  I am pretty sure the local roofing guy buys it and sticks it on himself. With the shed I  opted for plain roofing but during the hot weather I cannot be in there 12 till 3. Even with 3 swing fans blowing it's no good. 

While neither very long lasting (8 years ) elegant nor pretty it is possible to retro fit silver foil that will make the shed habitable during those times as I did.

P4010015.thumb.JPG.627b7528f3952e781ab7183583593f40.JPGP4010012.JPG.4d222a4caa5060a8c1b550c44ac5038c.JPGimage.thumb.jpg.3de4e711e72ccdd787286e99d4fc8b44.jpg1084018553_image2.thumb.jpg.dd90efada55e19742ae11f6f8d6a376d.jpg 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That shows that Lysaght is BlueScope is Lysaght!!!

Well, of course.

As I said it's not really important.

I'm repeating myself in saying what is important is that a home owner being presented with a number of options when shopping for Bluesope panels.

1. Roll-formed Bluescope material by Bluescope Lysaght.

2. Roll-formed Bluescope material by any third-party entity with or without applied insulation.

Bluescope, the company doesn't want the homeowner to know anything else other than he gets the Bluescope quality, with 30-year warranty (some grades).

The coated steel material is the same, coming from the same Bluescope steel-coating facility.

But the rest of processes required to become the finished panel could be quite different in quality due to variations introduced by third party roll-formers and their equipment.

Therefore claiming that Bluescope roofs are of uniform high quality and warranted for long time is quite misleading since the only thing that certain is the quality of the warranted coated material.

And as JJNThailand just demonstrated by presenting results of his research posted above, the marketing message can be deceptive by not spelling out the applicable warranty details.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, unheard said:

JimShortz,

I think I'm missing something.

How could it be the same supplier?

My apologies... I must read properly. I saw the pictures and thought it was the same place. You are quite right I was at the place in Chiang Mai for which I provided a link. It is also a large facility/supplier.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 10:35 PM, unheard said:

They don't roll-form and/or apply foam to the final product.

When you buy the Bluescope sourced, ready to be installed roof sheets you're dealing with a third party manufacturer (roll former) who purchase rolled steel from Bluescope - Bluescope themeselves don't roll-form their metal and don't apply insulation. They also don't sell thier (their) product directly to retail customers.

2 Incorrect statements that you now seem to be backing off from without actually correcting your mistakes.

2 hours ago, unheard said:
20 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That shows that Lysaght is BlueScope is Lysaght!!!

Well, of course.

As I said it's not really important.

I'm repeating myself in saying what is important is that a home owner being presented with a number of options when shopping for Bluesope panels.

You in fact said 

Bluescope plants don't roll steel, that's why they've created a separate entity -Bluescope Lysaght with their own roll-forming plants.

I certainly agree that there are options for buying both insulated and un insulated panels, one of which is to buy directly from the BlueScope rollforming plants as I have done on 2 occasions.

I agree they are probably not the best option for people living in the north of Thailand and may not be the best option for insulated panels.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, unheard said:

The coated steel material is the same, coming from the same Bluescope steel-coating facility.

But the rest of processes required to become the finished panel could be quite different in quality due to variations introduced by third party roll-formers and their equipment.

Therefore claiming that Bluescope roofs are of uniform high quality and warranted for long time is quite misleading since the only thing that certain is the quality of the warranted coated material.

You raise in interesting point. These Bluescope retailers are a Franchise and  typically that includes contractual agreements and mandatory requirements.  Possible requirements may include approved metal forming equipment, material formed to stringent specifications, use of specific hardware fasteners on installs...

The installed panels certainly fit together very well as did the trim pieces. And the hardware fasteners were high quality and clearly specific for the intended purpose of roofing.  

Learning more about this would be good but their is no way my interpreter would go for another Q and A session.

Edited by JJNThailand
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JJNThailand said:

Learning more about this would be good but their is no way my interpreter would go for another Q and A session.

Your interpreter has already been more than sufficient to enable you to produce a highly informative report. ????

We're for a good start.

Let's hope someone else chimes in with related info from their local Bluescope store.

Sorry, I'm unable to do that myself since I'm not in the country at the moment.

On 1/22/2020 at 5:25 AM, scorecard said:

My Thai son, in Chiang Mai, added a verandah right around his new house about 7 years back, using bluescope with the insulation already fitted under the sheets.

There has never been a leak (dependant of course of profesional installation), compared to uninsulated steel verandah roofing the noise reduction is amazing, the best example is noise from rain, with bluescope with the insulation there is very little noise, the insulation is still in perfect condition and hasn't detached at all from the steel sheets and hasn't degraded.  The colour on the steel sheets hasn't degraded at all.

The builder told my son he very much prefers to work with the bluescope products, he mentioned that the sheets etc., are easy to handle, easy to understand handouts are easily available, plus the few times he had called bluescope one of their friendly engineers was on site within an hour or less and gave very practcal advice and worked as a team with the construction crew for an hour or so, no charge. 

Son more than happy.

Thank you Scorecard

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2020 at 8:36 PM, JJNThailand said:

These Bluescope retailers are a Franchise and  typically that includes contractual agreements and mandatory requirements.  Possible requirements may include approved metal forming equipment, material formed to stringent specifications, use of specific hardware fasteners on installs...

Just used Bluescope Zacs to re-roof on two separate buildings.

Ordered through an authorized Bluescope shop, in two different profiles with different types of insulation underneath - thin shiny one and 25mm PU.

The PU one is very impressive - barely warm to the touch on the PU side while being boiling hot on the other.

PU insulation has also stiffened the sheet quite a bit adding a solid feel to it, compared to being a wobbly flexible metal piece without.

It also transmits very little noise.

The shop was a pleasure to deal with - very responsive and professional.

Supplied all necessary accessories, no need to ask.

My contractor was dealing with them on the phone and he was also impressed with the speed and responsiveness.

• Thanks 1

We have just finished building an Oz style metal house in Chanthaburi. Got a quote from the local Bluescope shop for metal sandwich 50mm insulated roofing - thb 200,000. Got an alterative quote for identical spec using Thai product for thb 120,000. We are very pleased with the local service and product.

6 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

Got a quote from the local Bluescope shop for metal sandwich 50mm insulated roofing - thb 200,000. Got an alterative quote for identical spec using Thai product for thb 120,000. We are very pleased with the local service and product.

How many m2?

22m x 12.5m for the roof. White colourbond top and bottom.

The walls are also white colourbond with no applied insulation, have applied 10mm double sided insulated foil underneath on a steel frame.

Edited by MAF666
e

18 hours ago, unheard said:

Could you please describe your architect's concern?

exactly...I cannot see any concern...

They are trying to push me towards using Tiles to keep with the design styling, but I am pushing them towards colorbond instead. Normally they have been very good, but on this point they are pushing back a bit.

My feeling is that the concern really comes down too:

1. Mounting to solar cell frame through the colorbond

2. Potential for leaks at the mounting points

For me I dont see any issues here as long as they follow the best practices.

4 hours ago, Wombo1 said:

They are trying to push me towards using Tiles to keep with the design styling..

You should have the last word on any styling decisions.

I wonder how that conversation went.

Ask them directly what's the basis for their opposition.

If they continue to insist on using tiles based on styling "concerns" then the only logical reason I can come up with is that they financially benefit from tile installations (sale commissions, volume kickbacks, etc, etc.)