Bluescope Roof - Metal Sheet with Insulation

JJNThailand

17 hours ago, Wombo1 said:

My feeling is that the concern really comes down too:

1. Mounting to solar cell frame through the colorbond

2. Potential for leaks at the mounting points

For me I dont see any issues here as long as they follow the best practices.

Depending on what type of roof profile. Regular exposed fastener probably last 10 years or more. They will be potentially leaks  eventually unless using boltless roof panel like standing seam or snaplock roof panel. Certain roof profile panel may suit to mount solar cell. 

Contractor to follow best practices can be very rare. The most they will just add silicone layer to cover up the defects.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, unheard said:

You should have the last word on any styling decisions.

I wonder how that conversation went.

Ask them directly what's the basis for their opposition.

If they continue to insist on using tiles based on styling "concerns" then the only logical reason I can come up with is that they financially benefit from tile installations (sale commissions, volume kickbacks, etc, etc.)

I really believe that it is for styling reasons, we had a couple of other disagreements on other areas and they normally come around to my thought or I realize their idea is actually pretty good. (One example was my wish for a heat pump water heater, rather than instant hot water heaters. Once they learnt about the tech they are really interested to do it)

I think they are coming around on this point, but they just want to understand in more. Solar does not seem so common for Bangkok houses...

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2021 at 10:48 PM, Wombo1 said:

I think they are coming around on this point, but they just want to understand in more. Solar does not seem so common for Bangkok houses...

Would be interested to know how it went....

Did you end up with Bluescope or tile?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 1:29 PM, unheard said:

Would be interested to know how it went....

Did you end up with Bluescope or tile?

Yeah, they have fully come around to the Bluescope.

It helps that BS Lysaght came back with a good offer beyond just the metal sheets. They are going to provide a full system that will really cut down on the heat being passed through.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought and installed myself metal sheet roofing with and without a bonded 5mm thick polyurathane / aluminium insulation layer. I used the product with the insulation layer on the house and the product without insulation on the verandah and carport. The metal comes in 3 thicknesses; 0.3mm, 0.35mm and 0.4mm.  My metal sheet roofing is just some generic knock off (not bluscope). The only downside to the insulation is that on areas exposed to sunlight it quickly breaks down and looks dreadful . . . thats why I used the uninsulated product on the verandah and carport.