Thailand visa on arrival available in Padang Besar

Yes you can. Make sure you carry the equivalent of 20.000THB with you. I have heard of folks being denied entry in Padang Besar because of insufficient funds. You also should have a reservation on a plane for your flight home or elsewhere outside Thailand.

• Sad 1

Actually it's not a visa on arrival. You're an American so you get a Visa exempt entry. This will allow you to stay for 30 days. Visa on arrival are granted only to a few nationalities and only allows 15 days stay.  As stated you should have equal to 20K THB on you just in case. I;ve only taken the train once and it was a nice experience.  It is a long journey spend the extra and get a sleeper. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, recom273 said:

Be warned you now have to go over the bridge and walk through up to immigration, through no-mans land, it’s a bit of a trek, there used to be a desk in the platform. 

Can you clarify a bit, I am going in a couple of weeks. Last time I went about a year ago, you came off the train, through Thai immigration and then Malaysian immigration/customs and made your way out or to Malaysian trains. Bit the same coming back, all done on the platform.

If you have to leave the station and enter Thailand through the road border post, how would you get back to the station, it is inside Malaysia.

When I went before, from Malaysia into Thailand, immigration on the platform was only open for an hour before the Hat Yai trains departed.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Can you clarify a bit, I am going in a couple of weeks. Last time I went about a year ago, you came off the train, through Thai immigration and then Malaysian immigration/customs and made your way out or to Malaysian trains. Bit the same coming back, all done on the platform.

If you have to leave the station and enter Thailand through the road border post, how would you get back to the station, it is inside Malaysia.

When I went before, from Malaysia into Thailand, immigration on the platform was only open for an hour before the Hat Yai trains departed.

Where was the immigration desk last time, were both Thai and Malay on the platform and you just hopped off the train, stamped in and out? 

if so, it’s not like that anymore, they have moved It to the new immigration building  - I haven’t used the train for a longtime - but I ride outwards on the odd occasion.

There is a recent post in the southern forum, with times and info that might help.

30 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Where was the immigration desk last time, were both Thai and Malay on the platform and you just hopped off the train, stamped in and out? 

if so, it’s not like that anymore, they have moved It to the new immigration building  - I haven’t used the train for a longtime - but I ride outwards on the odd occasion.

There is a recent post in the southern forum, with times and info that might help.

If you haven't used the train for a long time how do you know there is no immigration on the platform.

There is a platform that the Thai trains leave from and you had to pass through immigration to get on the platform.

I ask again, if you have to leave the station to leave Malaysia and enter Thailand, how do you get back to the station in Malaysia to catch a train into Thailand.

I know what time the train leaves from Padang Besar to Bangkok, it is on my ticket.

I do not know what you mean "you just hopped off the train, stamped in and out? "

Last time we got off the Hat Yai shuttle, went through immigration, walked out of the station and caught a taxi.

Years ago when we went to Butterworth we got off the train, went through immigration and got back on the train. Since 2016 all Thai trains terminate at Padang Besar.

Crossed that border last year in September. After getting off the train, you walk over the bridge to the Malaysian border. Stamp out, walk 5 min trough no-mans land, until you get to the Thai border. I know that there`s also a train on the Thai side, but no clue from where it departs. 

After exiting to Thai immigration building there are

- motorbikes to take you to the market where the mini-buses to Hat-Yai depart

- the regular bus to Hat Yai (crossing the street next to the police station)

- private transfers to Hat Yai/ Airport walking right when you get out of the immigration building (I bargained 1000 Baht, as I was with a friend who had a regular luggage and we were in a rush)

34 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

Crossed that border last year in September. After getting off the train, you walk over the bridge to the Malaysian border. Stamp out, walk 5 min trough no-mans land, until you get to the Thai border. I know that there`s also a train on the Thai side, but no clue from where it departs. 

After exiting to Thai immigration building there are

- motorbikes to take you to the market where the mini-buses to Hat-Yai depart

- the regular bus to Hat Yai (crossing the street next to the police station)

- private transfers to Hat Yai/ Airport walking right when you get out of the immigration building (I bargained 1000 Baht, as I was with a friend who had a regular luggage and we were in a rush)

That would be the case if you intend to travel by road in Thailand. There are 2 stations, one each side of the border, the one on the Thai side is mainly for Thais that want to get off. Also looks like from the man in Seat61, border control within the station is still the same.

There are now two stations at Padang Besar, but here we're talking about the main (and original) Padang Besar station located on the Malay side of the border where Malaysian trains meet Thai trains.  The other station is called Padang Besar II and it's a tiny local halt on the Thai side of the border, only served by a few Thai trains.

At Padang Besar main station there are Malaysian and Thai border controls located inside the station building just a few metres apart, you go through one and then the other depending whether you're travelling north or south.

https://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#Padang_Besar_station_information

55 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I ask again, if you have to leave the station to leave Malaysia and enter Thailand, how do you get back to the station in Malaysia to catch a train into Thailand.

There are no longer any trains that cross the border from Malaysia into Thailand. There are effectively two stations, one on the Malaysian side and one on the Thai side. Trains on the Malaysian side are quite frequent. There are only a couple of trains a day on the Thai side, and it is probably not worth trying onward travel by train into Hat Yai. Bus or shared taxi is usually more convenient.

28 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That would be the case if you intend to travel by road in Thailand. There are 2 stations, one each side of the border, the one on the Thai side is mainly for Thais that want to get off. Also looks like from the man in Seat61, border control within the station is still the same.

There are now two stations at Padang Besar, but here we're talking about the main (and original) Padang Besar station located on the Malay side of the border where Malaysian trains meet Thai trains.  The other station is called Padang Besar II and it's a tiny local halt on the Thai side of the border, only served by a few Thai trains.

At Padang Besar main station there are Malaysian and Thai border controls located inside the station building just a few metres apart, you go through one and then the other depending whether you're travelling north or south.

https://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#Padang_Besar_station_information

Ok then maybe I missed it. I came by train from KL...so i guess it was the main station.  There was 100% no border control directly at the station. They directed me trough that no mans land border, where I also saw all other farangs who were in the train with me. I asked 3 different guys, if there was a border control directly at the station and everyone told me to take the walk through the bridge. 

So if there is a border control directly at the train station it`s well hidden, as there were no signs at all.

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

There are no longer any trains that cross the border from Malaysia into Thailand. There are effectively two stations, one on the Malaysian side and one on the Thai side. Trains on the Malaysian side are quite frequent. There are only a couple of trains a day on the Thai side, and it is probably not worth trying onward travel by train into Hat Yai. Bus or shared taxi is usually more convenient.

Why don't you read what has been said before posting rubbish. Thai trains have never stopped crossing the border into the Malaysian station of Padang Besar.

As I have previously said my ticket is from Padang Besar, not Padang Besar(Thailand), to Bangkok and that journey originates in Malaysia.

17 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

So if there is a border control directly at the train station it`s well hidden, as there were no signs at all.

You are right about that. It is downstairs at platform level and only available to those travelling into Thailand by train. Opens about an hour before a train departs.

I went through there about a year ago to Langkawi and despite what has been said it would appear that nothing has changed.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I went through there about a year ago to Langkawi and despite what has been said it would appear that nothing has changed.

Things have certainly changed within the past year. They closed the Thai immigration booth at the train station in Malaysia.

There have been many posts about it since it happened.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Things have certainly changed within the past year. They closed the Thai immigration booth at the train station in Malaysia.

There have been many posts about it since it happened.

Please supply some sort of valid reference, all the sources I have looked at are still showing things as they were.

Please also explain if you enter Thailand through the road border post, how do you get back into the station to catch the train.

27 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Please supply some sort of valid reference, all the sources I have looked at are still showing things as they were.

I would say this is good proof of it. What are your sources that say otherwise.

18 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

Ok then maybe I missed it. I came by train from KL...so i guess it was the main station.  There was 100% no border control directly at the station. They directed me trough that no mans land border, where I also saw all other farangs who were in the train with me. I asked 3 different guys, if there was a border control directly at the station and everyone told me to take the walk through the bridge. 

27 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Please also explain if you enter Thailand through the road border post, how do you get back into the station to catch the train.

You go to the train station on the Thai side of the border.

Screenshot of this map. https://goo.gl/maps/rrozB4xxGvpF26NF9

image.png.d502aa4ec40b705b24837b9890805770.png

I found it simpler to get the train to Hat Yai then walk down the street to an agency and book a ride on a minibus.  That took me to the Thai-Malaysian border where I would grab a motorcycle taxi to take me through the Thai-Malaysian border, that is Customs and Immigration on both sides then get taken to Duty Free.  After buying my stuff, the motorcycle would take me back and I would go through Customs and Immigration on both sides then get taken back to get another minivan back to Hat Yai station.  Sounds complicated but very simple really.  Used to wait a couple of hours on the station eating KFC, available near the station, with a couple of Chang beers and get the train back to BKK.

'nuf sed.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Screenshot of this map. https://goo.gl/maps/rrozB4xxGvpF26NF9

image.png.d502aa4ec40b705b24837b9890805770.png

This website is dated 22/10/2019, are you saying it is wrong.

https://railtravelstation.com/2019/10/22/special-express-46-international-express-padang-besar-malaysia-to-bangkok-hua-lamphong-by-train/

image.png.d44bbd3d4427de087436515393a46065.png

43 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why would you go to Padang Besar(Thai) when the ticket is from Padang Besar.

I am sure the trains do not cross to the Malaysian side of the border now. They stop on the Thai side and you have to enter Malaysia at the border checkpoint now and vice versa.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure the trains do not cross to the Malaysian side of the border now. They stop on the Thai side and you have to enter Malaysia at the border checkpoint now and vice versa.

I am fairly sure you are wrong, why would you get off the train before your destination and then have to walk 2 kilometres to your destination.

On what date are they supposed to have stopped crossing the border? The current SRT timetable for the Hat Yai shuttle still shows the train stopping at Padang Besar(Thai) before arriving at Padang Besar. Every indication that the SRT ticket office is still on the platform at Padang Besar.

I have checked many websites now and not one of them indicates any change since I last went in Dec 2018.

I think people have become confused over the border issue as some of the websites do say the train does not cross the border but since 2016 the International express and the Hat Yai shuttles have physically crossed the border and were to all intents and purposes still in Thailand. Only one platform has ever been used and now instead of passing through into Malaysia the trains head back to Hat Yai, where the international express joins the other carriages before heading to Bangkok.

One thing is for sure, I will find out for certain shortly.

• Like 1

Train times & tickets – Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok

There are two stages to the journey by train from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok. The first stage of the journey is to travel by Malaysian train services to the border with Thailand. The second stage of the journey is by Thailand train services from the border to Bangkok. If the trains run according to schedule you can complete the journey by train from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok in 23 hours 30 hours.

Compare.png

Train Times to Bangkok

The earlier post I made gave info from Bangkok to Georgetown.  My mistake as I should have been the other way around.  Just found the following on the internet.  It is a pity that people rely on others instead of doing some research of their own because it takes very little time to do it instead of reading what may be misleading or incorrect.  Any mistakes/omissions are not mine but the fault of the writer of the publication.

'nuf sed.

• Stage 1 of the journey by train to Bangkok is from Kuala Lumpur to Padang Besar on the border with Thailand. There are five trains to choose from, although the 09:44 and 11:40 departures coincide inside best with the direct train service for the next stage of the journey.
Train Kuala Lumpur Padang Besar Service
9202 06:45 12:08 ETS Platinum 
9420 09:44 15:05 ETS Gold
9204 11:40 17:03 ETS Platinum
9422 18:12 00:49 ETS Gold
9424 23:22 05:01 ETS Gold

• For stage 2 of the journey there is only a single direct train per day from Padang Besar train station to Bangkok. If you miss this connection then your alternative is to take a taxi across the road border into Thailand and then take one of the frequent shuttle trains from the Padang Besar train station to Hat Yai. There are several trains from Hat Yai to Bangkok every day. NB: Malaysia time is one ahead of Thai time so Train 9204 which arrives in Padang Besar at 17:03 Malaysia time is actually scheduled to arrive 57 minutes before the departure of Train #46 at 17:00 Thai time.
Train Padang Besar Bangkok Service
46 17:00 10:10 Special Express
Edited by wotsdermatter

3 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Train times & tickets – Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok

There are two stages to the journey by train from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok. The first stage of the journey is to travel by Malaysian train services to the border with Thailand. The second stage of the journey is by Thailand train services from the border to Bangkok. If the trains run according to schedule you can complete the journey by train from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok in 23 hours 30 hours.

Compare.png

Train Times to Bangkok

The earlier post I made gave info from Bangkok to Georgetown.  My mistake as I should have been the other way around.  Just found the following on the internet.  It is a pity that people rely on others instead of doing some research of their own because it takes very little time to do it instead of reading what may be misleading or incorrect.  Any mistakes/omissions are not mine but the fault of the writer of the publication.

'nuf sed.

• Stage 1 of the journey by train to Bangkok is from Kuala Lumpur to Padang Besar on the border with Thailand. There are five trains to choose from, although the 09:44 and 11:40 departures coincide inside best with the direct train service for the next stage of the journey.
Train Kuala Lumpur Padang Besar Service
9202 06:45 12:08 ETS Platinum 
9420 09:44 15:05 ETS Gold
9204 11:40 17:03 ETS Platinum
9422 18:12 00:49 ETS Gold
9424 23:22 05:01 ETS Gold

• For stage 2 of the journey there is only a single direct train per day from Padang Besar train station to Bangkok. If you miss this connection then your alternative is to take a taxi across the road border into Thailand and then take one of the frequent shuttle trains from the Padang Besar train station to Hat Yai. There are several trains from Hat Yai to Bangkok every day. NB: Malaysia time is one ahead of Thai time so Train 9204 which arrives in Padang Besar at 17:03 Malaysia time is actually scheduled to arrive 57 minutes before the departure of Train #46 at 17:00 Thai time.
Train Padang Besar Bangkok Service
46 17:00 10:10 Special Express

You are quite right about doing your own homework, but even then you have to be careful, this statement from your post is extremely misleading.

"If you miss this connection then your alternative is to take a taxi across the road border into Thailand and then take one of the frequent shuttle trains from the Padang Besar train station to Hat Yai."

The shuttle trains from Padang Besar to Hat Yai are anything but frequent, there are 2 a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon which is a couple of hours before the 46. I would doubt if there are any trains from Padang Besar(Thai) to Hat Yai after the 46. I suspect the only alternative would be to travel by road, or stay the night.

Hat Yai shuttle.jpg

7 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Any mistakes/omissions are not mine but the fault of the writer of the publication.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

this statement from your post is extremely misleading.

Obviously, you did not read correctly my post or you would have noted the above inclusion.

As stated, any mistakes, etc., were not of my making but were those of the original poster of the timetable.  My posting was done in order to assist by providing information regarding train times and the procedure.  Instead of muddying the waters why not provide reasons why the information is incorrect instead of leaving things dangling because you  give the impression that you know all about the trains and the procedure.  We try to help when people seek assistance and do not like or appreciate those making requests for help then "knocking" what has been provided without them providing anything to back up their statements.

'nuf sed.

• Like 1

Since the Malaysian network was upgraded, Thailand trains no longer run into Malaysia (apart from the Oriental Express). The train from Hat Yai terminates at PB. There are both Thai and Malaysian Immigration kiosks on the platform.

However, coming from Malaysia. Everybody walks up the the hill and crosses the border there... then takes the bus to Hat Yai.

Worth mentioning though, PB is not a friendly border. You would be better to enter at Sadao. There are buses from Ipoh and KL which arrive in Hat Yai town centre, near the train station. They will stop just south of Sadao... passport handed over to the driver and returned about 30 minutes later with landing card completed. Never seen anyone on the bus with problems at Sadao immigration. Bus fare: 50 MYR (approx)

14 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Obviously, you did not read correctly my post or you would have noted the above inclusion.

As stated, any mistakes, etc., were not of my making but were those of the original poster of the timetable.  My posting was done in order to assist by providing information regarding train times and the procedure.  Instead of muddying the waters why not provide reasons why the information is incorrect instead of leaving things dangling because you  give the impression that you know all about the trains and the procedure.  We try to help when people seek assistance and do not like or appreciate those making requests for help then "knocking" what has been provided without them providing anything to back up their statements.

'nuf sed.

I did note your inclusion and apologise if you think I was implying it was attributed to you.

I would agree that every attempt should be made to make the information as accurate as possible, why I posted the timetable.

Again I apologise if you thought my post was a dig at you, it certainly wasn't.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 9:41 AM, ubonjoe said:

You were wrong to take something said as some sort of proof.

I arrived at Padang Besar yesterday morning on train No 45 from Bangkok and can confirm that the immigration facilities at the station operate in exactly the same way as they have done for many years, apart from the introduction of fingerprinting and X ray machines.

I got off the train and walked the few yards into Thai immigration, they have 3 desks and all were manned but everyone had to queue at the same desk. Down the passage to the Malaysian desks and stamped into Malaysia, luggage through the X ray and then over to the men in white suits for thermal imaging and passport check. I have a Chinese visa that they picked up on until they saw it was 6 months old, getting on for an hour to get into the station concourse.

I went back to the station a few hours later and bought a ticket for the Hat Yai shuttle, preferred to wait a bit in Hat Yai than at the station. Formalities were effectively the reverse of arrival, Malaysian immigration does not open for departing passengers until inbound passengers have been processed. You are then stamped out and pass through to Thai immigration and then on to the platform where officers ensure you go straight on to the train. The train doesn't leave until all passengers have cleared immigration.

It is fairly obvious that some that have travelled by road from Thailand to Padang Besar, or from Padang Besar station to Thailand by road, have failed to grasp the procedure for rail travellers and have been disseminating false information.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 2:56 PM, recom273 said:

Be warned you now have to go over the bridge and walk through up to immigration, through no-mans land, it’s a bit of a trek, there used to be a desk in the platform. 

Incorrect information.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:10 PM, SpanishExpat said:

You only walk over the bridge if going by road. Train to Thailand goes from the same station, you go downstairs to platforms 1 & 2.