Work Visa B permit to O-A

Hi

I'm wondering if transfering from a work permit B visa to O-A is possible without leaving the country first. O-X is also

a possibility. This would be when my job finishes, and I guess a border run to get a 30 day tourist visa is necessary first.

thanks

Edited by Regain
  • Sad 1

Please keep it civil.

OP: both O-A and O-X can only be obtained in your home country. There are also some significant disadvantages to them due to new rules.

If the idea is that you are leaving work and want to stay on grounds of retirement I think you can do an extension of stay for reason of retirement on your  existing B visa. Wait for @Ubonjoe to come on and advise further but probably no need to get a new visa at all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If the idea is that you are leaving work and want to stay on grounds of retirement I think you can do an extension of stay for reason of retirement on your  existing B visa. Wait for @Ubonjoe to come on and advise further but probably no need to get a new visa at all.

+1   A word of caution, though.   Start that process before your WP expires.  I found that out the stupid way.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Please keep it civil.

OP: both O-A and O-X can only be obtained in your home country. There are also some significant disadvantages to them due to new rules.

Thanks, lets see if he can verify this

I think you are probably on an extension of stay based upon working not a valid non-b visa. If correct you can change the reason for your extension of stay based upon retirement.

You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply or proof of 65k baht income.

• Like 2

In Phuket last July I was able to change from an extension of stay based upon work (originally a B) to an extension based upon retirement without leaving the country. But it required an extra "fee" of 8000 Baht. 

My old extension and work permit both ended on July 31, which coincided with my final payday. Since I couldn't earn money on a retirement extension, my HR suggested I couldn't make the switch until July 31, the same day HR cancelled my work permit. My HR person went with me to Phuket immigration and we had all of the retirement extension forms thinking it would be an easy change. She was surprised when we were told an extension based upon retirement had to be converted from a valid Non-O - and I obviously didn't have one. I was told I could either leave the country and get a Non-O, or for an extra 8,000 Baht they could make an exception and do it all right then.

A quick mental calculation of the cost of travel, my time, and hassle told me to just pay up. With that fee, I was able to get both the retirement extension and multi re-entry permit in my passport that same morning in less than two hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 6:10 PM, DFPhuket said:

But it required an extra "fee" of 8000 Baht. 

So you paid a bribe of 6000 baht? Or perhaps the regular 1900 fee was on top of the 8000? 

I believe the requirement to be a Non-Imm-Visa, not specifically a Non-Imm-O.

The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

Edited by jacko45k

On 1/20/2020 at 9:27 AM, jacko45k said:

So you paid a bribe of 6000 baht? Or perhaps the regular 1900 fee was on top of the 8000? 

I paid 8000 plus the 1900 fee. I've lived in Asia for 30 years in three different countries and it's the first time I've paid a bribe. Since my extension was expiring that day, I simply calculated the cost in time and money required to quickly leave Phuket, get to an embassy and then going back to Phuket immigration versus paying the 8000 and having everything taken care of that morning. I guess it was still cheaper than using an agent. 

Interestingly, passing over the money was very much in the open as I counted out the bills and put them on the desk. I had assumed bribes required some level of discretion. He took the cash, put a paperclip and a note on it, and it went in his desk. I was dealing with someone who appeared to be a supervisor.