Need to charge my car battery in Bangkok

JohnnyBKK

8 hours ago, JohnnyBKK said:

where can I find someone for this service ?

Assuming its not a wind up !!     go ask the motorcycle taxis guys hanging out on almost any corner  they will know someone or take you to someone.

5 minutes ago, johng said:

Assuming its not a wind up !!     go ask the motorcycle taxis guys hanging out on almost any corner  they will know someone or take you to someone.

Already tried that, they just have jumpers or will tell you to go to a garage yourself

Just now, Don Mega said:

Must go someway to charging a battery otherwise one would be forever starting their car with a jumper pack !!

Of course, but it doesn't fully charge it, that's why many modern batteries have a built in warning system, one telling you the battery needs charging.

Plus a charger gets stuff moving off the plates, bit of revitalising...

• Confused 2

Just now, transam said:

Of course, but it doesn't fully charge it, that's why many modern batteries have a built in warning system, one telling you the battery needs charging.

Whats the built in warning system, Ive never heard of that.

Genuine question BTW.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Whats the built in warning system, Ive never heard of that.

Genuine question BTW.

A round clear lens in the top of the battery, look down it, good battery it shines green, bad red, red with white surround, needs charging.. That is on my battery....

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

A round clear lens in the top of the battery, look down it, good battery it shines green, bad red, red with white surround, needs charging.. That is on my battery....

Ohhh the telltale window, Yeah that relies on the operator to open the bonnet and look...

Ive got my bonnet open at the moment doing some work and there is no telltale window on the battery, it is 2 years old.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, steve187 said:

jump start it and take it for a drive, basic maintenance of a car.

Go out into the street and wave down a taxi. They all mostly have jump/boosters leads. Keep trying until you find one.  Then go for a drive. If you must to a battery shop. There are a couple on Rama 4 between tesco and Phrakhanong and one on Soi 71 near MaxValue 

Buy a new battery, a battery charger and some jump leads, jump start car then keep the battery & leads in the car for next time you need it, if it gets flat you already have the battery charger use it! :goof:

You don't have basic tools to remove the battery?

Is it too heavy for you? (what type of car)

Then put it in a sturdy bag and flag down a regular taxi (or mototaxi).

Let them drive to the next battery workshop.

Where that is, is for the locals.

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Buy a new battery, a battery charger and some jump leads, jump start car then keep the battery & leads in the car for next time you need it, if it gets flat you already have the battery charger use it! :goof:

Much easier to just have a jump starter, Ive got one of these.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/high-quality-multi-functional-integration-car-jump-starterjx2989800mah-12v-power-gasoline-6000cc-and-diesel-3000cc-dual-use-i561336605-s1029530134.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.5073275boO2kV3&search=1

45 minutes ago, transam said:

so lets have a poll, who here ever charges their car battery, other than by driving it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steve187 said:

so lets have a poll, who here ever charges their car battery, other than by driving it

My ol' Vigo battery got charged near every month or so, the charger took a few hours to get it up to scratch.....????

I don't bother with my now weeee car as I bought a higher amp battery that would fit..

27 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Not too much hits searching for a battery workshop along Suk.

One shop is on On Nut.

Blame that on condo development.

There are a couple on Rama 4 between tesco and Phrakhanong and one on Soi 71 near MaxValue 

1 hour ago, transam said:

Alternator does not fully charge a battery...

Batteries have a life span and you usually see a red warning light when the battery isn't charged.

( Usually a battery sign on it, it comes on when the alternator doesn't charge)   

Even a half full battery would start the engine. 

Maybe he/she left lights on, or the battery reached its age limit. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

9 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Batteries have a life span and you usually see a red warning light when the battery isn't charged.

( Usually a battery sign on it, it comes on when the alternator doesn't charge)   

Even a half full battery would start the engine. 

Maybe he/she left lights on, or the battery reached its age limit. 

When I say doesn't fully charge a battery but a charger does is that the charger moves stuff off the plates, so there is more space for the fill to do it's stuff. For instance, a silver calcium battery needs a charger that knocks out 14.5+ volts....

• Confused 1

Just now, transam said:

When I say doesn't fully charge a battery but a charger does is that the charger moves stuff off the plates, so there is more space for the fill to do it's stuff. For instance, a silver calcium battery needs a charger that knocks out 14.5+ volts....

What stuff on the plates does the charger move?

3 minutes ago, transam said:

what does an alternator knock out