Need to charge my car battery in Bangkok

JohnnyBKK

29 minutes ago, steve187 said:

what does an alternator knock out

I believe its up to 16v or higher for ECU controlled charging and around 14.5 or less for conventional alternator regulators.

ECU controlled charging should in theory improve battery life but a battery will still suffer if allowed to repeatedly discharge below safe levels. 

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Really, lead sulphate is of no interest to you then, just move on....????

I don't doubt for 1 second it is an issue but if the vehicle charging system is in good condition the issue is nothing as dramatic as what you make it out to be.... maybe back in the 60's sure but not in these modern days.

9 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Which is what the majority of YouTube commenters are doing down in mom's basement. TVisa also has its fair share.

To be honest I read a video's comments before deciding to watch the vid.

I'd say atleast 50% of TV member's are posting on the forum from their Mums basement.... of the remaining 50%,  20% of those are forum admin trolling to keep threads alive.

Leaving 30% genuine TV posters actually living in Thailand.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I don't doubt for 1 second it is an issue but if the vehicle charging system is in good condition the issue is nothing as dramatic as what you make it out to be.... maybe back in the 60's sure but not in these modern days.

You mean, they don't have lead in batteries in this modern age..?  ????

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

My ol' Vigo battery got charged near every month or so, the charger took a few hours to get it up to scratch.....????

I don't bother with my now weeee car as I bought a higher amp battery that would fit..

My 'old' 2012 Vigo is on it's second battery. NEVER have I had to charge it from a charger. There was summat wrong with yours.

A higher amperage battery still needs putting back what starting took out. Once the engine is running, the battery is redundant if your alternator and fan belt are both OK.

2 minutes ago, stouricks said:

My 'old' 2012 Vigo is on it's second battery. NEVER have I had to charge it from a charger. There was summat wrong with yours.

A higher amperage battery still needs putting back what starting took out. Once the engine is running, the battery is redundant if your alternator and fan belt are both OK.

I never charged the battery every month because it had a problem, I did it to keep lead sulphate off the plates so it lasted longer...????

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

I use torque pro app on my phone reading from a bluetooth OBDII dongle and according to it iam at 12.7v with the engine off and 14.5v with the engine running.

Sorry, but the alternator will not 'knock out' anything if the engine is off.

30 minutes ago, stouricks said:

His alternator is only putting out 13.6v...... but its a battery issue !!

25 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Sorry, but the alternator will not 'knock out' anything if the engine is off.

No sheet sherlock.

The "alternator gauge" on the APP reads 12.7 with just the ignition on and jumps to 14.5 when the engine is running, hope that clarifies it for you.

36 minutes ago, transam said:

I never charged the battery every month because it had a problem, I did it to keep lead sulphate off the plates so it lasted longer...????

Batteries suffer from sulfate build up from constantly being drained, if it is an issue you should look at what is draining your battery, sort that first then look at your charging system (13.6v is adequate but could be better) and sort that.

Edited by Don Mega

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Batteries suffer from sulfate build up from constantly being drained, if it is an issue you should look at what is draining your battery, sort that first then look at your charging system (13.6v is adequate but could be better) and sort that.

I haven't got any issues except battery longevity, I cured it the best I could with the rides daily usage type.......  

PS. I sold it last year...????

8 minutes ago, transam said:

I haven't got any issues except battery longevity, I cured it the best I could with the rides daily usage type.......  

PS. I sold it last year...????

Yes, daily driving to keep the battery topped up will keep sulfate build up at bay............... who woulda thunk it !!

Edited by Don Mega

35 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

In my 5+ years of reading TV topics there seem to be a growing contingent of know-it-all posters whose general knowledge is obtained from sources such as Google, Wikipedia and YouTube. Many, use these resources to enhance their lack of general knowledge on many topics they post too.  Some of the comments that have strayed from this OP's topic, validate my conclusions.  I admit and accept the fact that I don't know everything, but I do know a lot about some things and a little about a lot off things. I also know sulfate isn't spelled with a "p".

It is spelled "Sulphate" in the English language....????........????

56 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

His alternator is only putting out 13.6v...... but its a battery issue !!

No sheet sherlock.

The "alternator gauge" on the APP reads 12.7 with just the ignition on and jumps to 14.5 when the engine is running, hope that clarifies it for you.

Still cannot understand how the alternator is showing an output voltage if the engine is not running. Please explain.

I guess the alternator is in parallel with the battery in some way, so the 12.7 volts is coming from the battery.

Edited by stouricks

Just now, stouricks said:

Still cannot understand how the alternator is showing an output voltage if the engine is not running. Please explain.

I guess the alternator is in parallel with the battery in some way, so the 12.7 volts is coming from the battery.

You'd have to take that up with the designers/programmers of the app.

7 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

You'd have to take that up with the designers/programmers of the app.

So basically the app is useless. Get an old fashioned AVO and put that across the alternator, see what it reads.

What is the name of the app so that I can a) get in touch with the designers/programmers and b) not buy the app.

Edited by stouricks

2 minutes ago, stouricks said:

So basically the app is useless. Get an old fashioned AVO and put that across the alternator, see what it reads.

What is the name of the app so that I can a) get in touch with the designers/programmers and b) not buy the app.

Torque Pro.