Weinstein jury seated after prosecutors accuse defence of excluding white women

rooster59

Weinstein jury seated after prosecutors accuse defence of excluding white women

By Gabriella Borter and Brendan Pierson

2020-01-17T214547Z_1_LYNXMPEG0G1QN_RTROPTP_3_PEOPLE-HARVEY-WEINSTEIN.JPG

Film producer Harvey Weinstein exits New York Criminal Court during his sexual assault trial in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, U.S., January 17, 2020. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz

(Reuters) - Lawyers in Harvey Weinstein's New York rape trial finished selecting 12 jurors on Friday to decide the former Hollywood producer's fate, as prosecutors renewed an accusation that the defence had unfairly tried to block white women from serving on the jury.

The jury, comprised of six white men, three black women, one black man and two white women, is set to hear opening arguments next week.

Weinstein, the 67-year-old producer of Hollywood hits such as "The English Patient" and "Shakespeare in Love", has pleaded not guilty to assaulting two women. He faces life in prison if convicted.

Since 2017 more than 80 women have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct dating back decades. He denies the allegations, saying any sexual encounters were consensual.

The accusations against him helped fuel the #MeToo movement, in which women have publicly accused powerful men in several industries of sexual abuse.

Lawyers seated two white female jurors on Friday after Weinstein's defence team had exhausted their opportunity to eliminate potential jurors who did not exhibit explicit bias against the defendant or otherwise seem unfit to serve.

Three legal experts said the defence appeared to assume white women would be more likely to sympathise with Weinstein's accusers.

Weinstein is charged with assaulting two women, Mimi Haleyi, who is white, and an anonymous accuser whose race is unknown. At least one other white female accuser, U.S. actress Annabella Sciorra, is expected to testify.

"It looks like their thought process is that a white woman would have more of an affinity to the victims," said Michael Bachner, a defence lawyer who is not involved in the case.

As potential jurors were eliminated on Thursday and Friday, prosecutor Joan Illuzzi accused Weinstein's lawyers of systematically striking "every white female" from the pool.

"They are systematically eliminating a class of people from this jury," Illuzzi said on Friday.

Weinstein's lawyers cited specific reasons for excluding each white woman. One had a father and brother in the FBI, and would be biased because she was "surrounded by law enforcement," said defence lawyer Arthur Aidala. One was a model, like some of Weinstein's 80 accusers. Another had a photo of a women's march posted prominently on her Facebook profile, and a "social media influencer" daughter, the defence said.

Justice James Burke allowed the challenges without giving a reason.

"We are here to try to pick a fair jury," Donna Rotunno, Weinstein's lead attorney, said on Thursday. "This is not some conspiracy against the state."

Lawyers can excuse an unlimited number of potential jurors if they show explicit bias for or against Weinstein.

Beyond that, both sides can use "peremptory" challenges to reject jurors they believe will be unsympathetic, without providing a reason. Lawyers typically get three peremptory challenges, but in this case each side was given 20.

Weinstein's lawyers used roughly half of their peremptory challenges to excuse prospective white female jurors who had not otherwise been excused for bias or rejected by prosecutors.

It is illegal to use peremptory challenges to eliminate potential jurors on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity or religion.

Jill Taylor, who works for a trial consulting firm, said the defence's reasons for dismissing the white women appeared to be legitimate.

"To the extent you know someone's an activist or you know that someone is a model, those factors are going to weigh more heavily than just someone's basic demographics in decision-making," Taylor said. "Straight demographics are not generally predictive of how someone is going to hear a case."

(Reporting by Gabriella Borter and Brendan Pierson; Editing by Noeleen Walder and Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-18

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"It looks like their thought process is that a white woman would have more of an affinity to the victims," said Michael Bachner, a defence lawyer who is not involved in the case.

This is quite offensive. The suggestion that white women in general sympathize with greedy and immoral woman that prostitute themselves for material gain and fame is patently false. Weinstein is looking like the real victim here, the women all got what they wanted from the deal. Honest actresses that didn't sleep their way into the role are also victims. A sorry show all round.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

This is how it ends for the people who abuse their powers and abuse, not protect the people who are weaker than they are. 

His last thoughts of life will be about all the women he had sex with. However not as good memories, but as bad memories. 

In afterlife he will suffer for what he has done. A gentle reminder to those, who abuse others even here in Thailand. Yes, you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

This is quite offensive. The suggestion that white women in general sympathize with greedy and immoral woman that prostitute themselves for material gain and fame is patently false. Weinstein is looking like the real victim here, the women all got what they wanted from the deal. Honest actresses that didn't sleep their way into the role are also victims. A sorry show all round.

“greedy and immoral woman that prostitute themselves for material gain

Your evidence to back this up, or are you too keen to expose your own problems by hurling misogynistic abuse at women you don’t know?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

If you are one of those who use God's intentions in vain and abuse people, men or women, who are weaker than you, let me tell you son, you are about to get into one hellowa ride.

You have abused people. You have abused the word of God. You have abused the trust of your kind. 

You shall meet the decider one day. On that day onwards, you will suffer. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

It would be nice if you were right, and the world would be a better place if you were right,

but I think you underestimate the power of greed.

Edited by BritManToo

14 minutes ago, TheDark said:

If you are one of those who use God's intentions in vain and abuse people, men or women, who are weaker than you, let me tell you son, you are about to get into one hellowa ride.

You have abused people. You have abused the word of God. You have abused the trust of your kind. 

Nut job or troll ?

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think from what most of us have seen and read, no amount of Spin Doctoring from his expensive legal team of the jury pool is gonna get him off

They said that about OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson.

14 hours ago, TheDark said:

What has your imaginary God got to do with this?

On 1/18/2020 at 7:26 PM, Bluespunk said:

After his trial I sincerely hope this creature never sees the outside of gaol again. 

And yes I know he hasn’t be tried yet, I also freely admit I could not serve on any jury trying this wretch. 

No you couldn't serve because you've already decided without hearing real evidence.

And that is a classic example of how anyone can be sucked into trial by media and the court of popular manipulated opinion.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

No you couldn't serve because you've already decided without hearing real evidence.

And that is a classic example of how anyone can be sucked into trial by media and the court of popular manipulated opinion.

I know I couldn't serve, that's what I said...

I believe him guilty as hell and would say so.

I hope he is never released.

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

How very trendy of you, to use the trendy phrase "your imaginary God".

Used the phrase for as long as I have been an Atheist which is many years, nothing to do with being trendy.