First home visit advice please.

I completed the first stage of my marriage extension this week and have been informed that we will receive a visit from immigration officers. We’ve not been given a date or time so, as I understand it, they will just turn up without so much as a phone call to confirm that we are actually at home.

Can anybody tell me what to expect from this visit?

How long does it last? How many of them are there likely to be? What do they actually do?

I’d be grateful for any advice on how to “welcome” them into our humble abode.

• Haha 1

They will not just turn up and expect you to be at home. They will contact you to sure somebody is at home.

Hard to predict what they want or do when the arrive.

It is is just a check that you and your wife are living together and you are really living at the address used. It could just be photo outside the house of you and your wife together.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, khwaibah said:

They will call your wife not you to say when. Make sure to have coffee, tea, water, Leo and lao khao????

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Expect them to confirm your claim.

Clean the house. Fresh coffee and cookies baking would be nice.

Perhaps a brown envelope near the cookie jar would not be out of place......seriously though it will pass without any problems I,m sure :thumbsup:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, saengd said:

We had our first visit three weeks ago....they called first to agree a time, showed up on time, took pictures outside the house and inside, has a quick visual of the main rooms, some polite chit chat, in and out in under 15 mins, nice guys and they have a job to do.

Same when they visited us. Pethchaburi Imm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like Joe stated, they will call before arriving and what they require can differ.

In my case a photo of you in front of your house number, a quick check of your passport and ask you to sign a form ( verifying they came for their boss ) was all that was required. 2 officers came in uniform and immigration pickup and only entered the lounge area when offered to do so .

Be polite and offer water like you would with any visitors, nothing more is required.

Of course there are always reports that they want to see the whole house or take photos in the marital bedroom, how true these are I don’t know.

• Like 2

I'm sure there's no set routine for a home visit. Officers from Surin Immigration called before arrival. The toured our home, comparing the pictures we submitted to the interior. They also requested that a neighbor be a witness. The 2 officers took pictures of each other standing with use and the neighbor. We sat at the kitchen table, offered them a glass of Pepsi, answered some questions and they left.

• Like 2

When they visited us from jomtiem IO they rang the day before visit presumably for you to get the rquired witness ready, took about three photos did'nt enter the house at all never said a single word to me, in all the visit took about 20 minutes, no problem really!

• Like 1

If you check back ,you will find the post i made earlier about my first marriage visa application and immigration calling ,Jomtien office ,nice as pie laughing joking with me and the wife ,our neighbour came over with her paperwork ,the declined coffee and drinks ,sat at our dining table and chatted ,did not look around ,took a picture of me the wife and neighbour at the gate as they left . we have lived there 12 years.

Hi ya had my first visit this week from si sa ket Immagation they phoned me and said would be there in 1 hour very nice people 3 of them never checked any rooms apart from the front room where they did paperwork took some pictures of me and wife and interviewed  2 Neighbours  think just asking if they know me and staying there no problems most of the time chatting with wife in thai gave them a cold drinks after about 1 or 2 hours they said fair well off they went with a smile lot less stressful then I thought it would be 

• Like 2

Have some TM 47 forms ready for them, plus a TM 30.

They only visited me once many moons ago and we first thought some drug dealers are looking for new customers.

They went to our neighbors and interviewed her for more than an hour.

But that was 16 years ago. They only want to make sure that you're living where you told them you would.

Nothing to worry about. If you help your wife to sell BBQ chicken ,take a day off, please. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, petermik said:

Perhaps a brown envelope near the cookie jar would not be out of place......seriously though it will pass without any problems I,m sure :thumbsup:

As long as you have the money ready to pay for their petrol, hope your local IO

is not too far away. ????

• Sad 1

Don’t know if they called. They went to neighbors house up the street (Farang) and then my house. I want home and the gold papa

for me to go to the police station next day. I’m Non-O Retirement wasn’t marriage (village) related. 

Went next day with Papa they checked passport and took a couple of pictures of me and of tattoo on chest and arm above elbow.

that was it not seen them since. There might be a total of 3 Farang songs here..... 

• Confused 1

I had a visit a view months ago, two days after doing my retirement extension. 5 officers ! all very nice and polite, they didn't even come into the house but waited outside in the driveway. They didn't ring up beforehand, in fact they weren't even sure where my house was but they knew where my stepdaughter lived and asked her to guide them. All done and dusted after 15 minutes, one even said they were bored by the whole procedure but had to do it.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They will not just turn up and expect you to be at home. They will contact you to sure somebody is at home.

Hard to predict what they want or do when the arrive.

It is is just a check that you and your wife are living together and you are really living at the address used. It could just be photo outside the house of you and your wife together.

Hi ,not a reply to this post but ,i have to return to Jomtien on mon  10th feb after my first Marriage visa ,well its closed then as you said before ,just should i go early fri 7th or late on teus 11th ? thanks.

2 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Hi ,not a reply to this post but ,i have to return to Jomtien on mon  10th feb after my first Marriage visa ,well its closed then as you said before ,just should i go early fri 7th or late on teus 11th ? thanks.

The 7th would be okay.

Not a problem on the 11th either since the under consideration period does not end until you get your extension stamp.

• Thanks 1

I had my first visit recently. 2 officers turned up, spoke to me for less than 30 seconds, spent the rest of the time (about an hour) talking to my wife and neighbour. They didn't want anything to eat or drink. They seemed to ask a lot of questions about whether I was going to be working in Thailand or not. They took dozens of photos.

Edited by SteveK

On 1/18/2020 at 10:09 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Be polite and offer water like you would with any visitors, nothing more is required.

Of course there are always reports that they want to see the whole house or take photos in the marital bedroom, how true these are I don’t know.

last year 4 turned up every doc photoed and checked including my bank book this year 2 and didn't even look at my passport or talk to me except to tell me to put on a shirt :cheesy: yet walked around our house in their shoes ! Had to have our witness there also, and wanted photos of all of us sitting on the bed ???? my dog snapped at them as they got in their car to leave, good girl.:cheesy: but seriously nothing to stress over. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 9:29 AM, SteveK said:

I had my first visit recently. 2 officers turned up, spoke to me for less than 30 seconds, spent the rest of the time (about an hour) talking to my wife and neighbour. They didn't want anything to eat or drink. They seemed to ask a lot of questions about whether I was going to be working in Thailand or not. They took dozens of photos.

Yes, this is why they're there. They're doing everything they can to find a way to have you removed from the country.

If one of your neighbours said you go to work every morning because perhaps they don't like you or some other reason then the surveillance would begin immediately.

It's kind of telling that several people mentioned they lingered for an hour or more for something which takes just seconds - checking that you live there. They're really doing in person background checks when they interview your neighbours.

If you're a foreigner these people are not your friends.

• Thanks 1