Immigration's BMW "Smart Cars" the latest tool to rid Thailand of illegal foreigners

rooster59

This is being overly dramatic and naming it BMW shows how materialistic their thinking are.

In this internet age, a computer will suffice, no need for fancy names like BMW. It's just a lookup on a database.

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

Why not this kind of vehicle?

dubai-police-bugatti.jpg.c89bb38ae8dcddbcbaa9cd2979d8c2cf.jpg

you will notice that I put the link of the site where I found the photo :

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/dubai-police-supercars/index.html

I followed your quote and bearing in mind that Dubai is still a moslem country I read this a little way down the relaese.

Alongside the flashy cars, the Dubai police wants to tout its gender equality credentials by showing off the fact that many of the drivers are women. "The most expensive cars -- the Ferrari and the Bentley -- are driven by women police officers," said Sultan.

Thailand where women are supposedly equal to men has stopped recruiting women into the police force. I they ever were allowed into the traffic police they certainly would NOT be allowed to drive a BMW on their own, or even as a part of the crew. 

They should be employed in the police stations doing menial work like typing, filing reports, making the tea and coffee etc, you know the really vmenial work that men don't want to do.

(Sarcasm mode to off).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thailand where women are supposedly equal to men has stopped recruiting women into the police force. I they ever were allowed into the traffic police they certainly would NOT be allowed to drive a BMW on their own, or even as a part of the crew. 

I thought (think) that they still recruit women, they just won't allow them to train as investigators and so on - so the "glass ceiling" is pretty low.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nahkit said:

So, other than they drove over there in the BMW, how, exactly, did the smart car help?

The fast thinking immigration officers used the BMW smart vehicle's GPS to find the Indian restaurant.  Great job BMW and the same goes for the immigration officers for taking a bite out of crime.  

Thai Visa should receive some type of award for publishing this crime story.  This is just another example of the threat foreigners pose to Thailand.  Let's double the 800,000 baht deposit in a Thai bank requirement, and make these people take a Thai language test before renewing their yearly visa extension.  That should clear a lot of these people out of here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

One has to wonder if a Toyota and a lap top could become a smart car?

The ANPR system in UK police cars would seem to be a lot smarter than this dumb but very expensive car.

Seems to me, that we could finally find a good reason to have a Tuk Tuk.

It seems to me that instead of a senior officer using his valuable time to direct his officers with their smart car this and machine that to check a location, an everyday plod could have gone there on his bike, checked the foreigners passports, seen overstays, witnessed them working and made an arrest:  job done!!

5 hours ago, DLock said:

Trying to rationalize BMW's so you can buy more is so transparent.

Should have gone with a Lambo or Porsche - BMW are one step above a Camry.

Aim higher kid.

A 1986 Pontiac Firebird would had been cool. Including a talking wristwatch ("Hey Kitt, target this Al Cha Beebee S. Nasser Calfan Hamed...). David H. could have advised a little bit...

380401_news.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I've heard Porsche cars are even better to find out overstaying foreigners.

The department who orders the car will also get back an undisclosed percentage of the total amount spent on the cars (to be spent on catching more overstaying foreigners of course).

Remember what happened to the previous government, around 20 years ago, who squandered huge amounts of money renting well over 100 Mercedes cars for the police force to come down to visit Pattaya ????

With half the population on the breadline such waste does not make sense, or impress !

7 hours ago, DLock said:

You stick a computer and a WIFI hub in a 1973 Datsun 1200, and it will do the same job.

Trying to rationalize BMW's so you can buy more is so transparent.

Should have gone with a Lambo or Porsche - BMW are one step above a Camry.

Aim higher kid.

Personally I would put the Camry far higher than a BMW and a LEXUS well, even the new RAV4 would have been a better choice far better mileage, more space and running costs very low and they have the same or more USP power points. 

• Like 1