Immigration's BMW "Smart Cars" the latest tool to rid Thailand of illegal foreigners

rooster59

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Naew Na published two reports - one from Pattaya and one from Nonthaburi - in which immigration's much heralded Smart Cars (BMWs) were used  to arrest illegal foreigners.

So I guess a "laptop" didn't look so effective in an Isuzu pick-up?

• Haha 1

RE - Immigration's BMW "Smart Cars" the latest tool to rid Thailand of illegal foreigners

* BMW? They should have gone for Audi- you know the car with 4 zeros in the front grill where the biggest zero(s) would then have been naturally placed behind the steering wheel ... :coffee1:

Edited by ttrd
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Spot on.... The camera on the top of the car, behind the emergency light bar, is a Tilt, Pan, Zoom camera which is linked to a computer mounted in the boot of the vehicle.  The computer is linked via WiFi to the new Immigration facial recognition database.

These cars have been deployed for quite some time.  I first spotted 3 of them parked in my local Immigration office (Nakhon Pathom) in January 2019 when I did my 90 day reporting.  I have subsequently seen them parked outside the local big factories who employ a large number of migrant workers as the shifts are about to change.

During a recent visit to my local Immigration office I spoke to one of the IOs who was about to get into one of the vehicles.  He was happy to show me the system and agreed to do a demo with me as a possible 'suspect'.  I walked about 150 meters from the car and then turned around.  According to my wife who was watching the demo in the car, my photo and details came up on the computer screen within a matter of seconds after I turned around and my face was picked out by the camera.  The picture and details on the screen were from my passport and the IO was then able to 'drill down' to my history.

As well as the facial recognition system, the IO also has access to a passport scanner (like those used at boarder entry/exit point) so that they can put the photo page of your passport onto it and read the data held on the microchip that is embedded within the passport to check if the passport is real or fake.

I totally agree with many previous posters, using 300 series BMW is somewhat over the top.  A bog standard pickup would have done the same thing at a fraction of the cost.  I know, there is unlikely to be worthwhile kickbacks from purchasing pickups.

20190122_124532-iv.jpg

Khampaeng Phet Immigration have a couple but the IOs who came out after my marriage extension had a Toyota saloon car.

Overstay expats/foreigners whatever the correct title must be removed ASAP and at any cost.  Trump has the wall, Thailand has toughest Immigration police and laws i have seen.  Good job!  Keep it up.  Good guys in, bad out!

I must admit, I do applaud Thailand's effort to remove illegals. I have lived in Thailand and Laos for many years, and always legally, even if it has cost and been frustrating. For people to just think they can live anywhere without documentation, what planet are they on?? Do it properly, or go home!! In this instance I am fully supportive of the policy - even if it is the only one!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Denim said:

What would justify this being labeled a smart car would be a revolving Falangometer on the roof that slowly scanned in a 360 degree circle searching for miscreants. If it homed in on one it should emit an ' Eee-oop lads ' signal to notify the IO controller.

The following is a picture of a similar vehicle recently tested in Bradford and Southall. It was a failure as it got too hot and kept burning out the circuit boards. Should be OK here though.

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ Car with radar on roof

Don't forget to signal all of the baa-humbug holier-than-thou crusty old foreigners, so they can feel good about themselves for a few seconds.

• Sad 1

Would it just be great if you put the whole immigration force looking for the bad guy who killed Thais in the Gold Shop robbery?

Why Thai Law so wrong, If you go to airport, You just pay the fine, but if you get caught by a Super Dick in a BMA you are put in Jail and deported? Justice is fronting a Judge and given a chance to present your case,  What happens to a Thai person who do wrong, Just go to Jail and face the hard treatment of a sickness in prison with family left to fend for themselves? Justice Their has to be someone who can bring a better & safer Thailand

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oby said:

hello,, what makes you think the cars are not equipped with license plate recognition??? 

I agree that ANPR has been around for ages.  It's available for Thailand from various companies.  So far, the Thai authorities have not taken advantage of the software available.  Don't you think they'd have announced it with the usual fanfare if they had.

Tracking foreigners is fine but you can't call that technology in so far as it entails a look-up on their database.  As has been said, a tablet or laptop would suffice.  However, in a list of priorities, identifying overstayers should come well below, traffic/road safety, driver and vehicle qualification, criminals at large etc etc.  Pro-active policing, but that would mean policeman doing their job and enforcing the law.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Spot on.... The camera on the top of the car, behind the emergency light bar, is a Tilt, Pan, Zoom camera which is linked to a computer mounted in the boot of the vehicle.  The computer is linked via WiFi to the new Immigration facial recognition database.

These cars have been deployed for quite some time.  I first spotted 3 of them parked in my local Immigration office (Nakhon Pathom) in January 2019 when I did my 90 day reporting.  I have subsequently seen them parked outside the local big factories who employ a large number of migrant workers as the shifts are about to change.

During a recent visit to my local Immigration office I spoke to one of the IOs who was about to get into one of the vehicles.  He was happy to show me the system and agreed to do a demo with me as a possible 'suspect'.  I walked about 150 meters from the car and then turned around.  According to my wife who was watching the demo in the car, my photo and details came up on the computer screen within a matter of seconds after I turned around and my face was picked out by the camera.  The picture and details on the screen were from my passport and the IO was then able to 'drill down' to my history.

As well as the facial recognition system, the IO also has access to a passport scanner (like those used at boarder entry/exit point) so that they can put the photo page of your passport onto it and read the data held on the microchip that is embedded within the passport to check if the passport is real or fake.

I totally agree with many previous posters, using 300 series BMW is somewhat over the top.  A bog standard pickup would have done the same thing at a fraction of the cost.  I know, there is unlikely to be worthwhile kickbacks from purchasing pickups.

20190122_124532-iv.jpg

I don't really want to live in a country or society that employs these.

The sooner the human race is extinct the better.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I agree that ANPR has been around for ages.  It's available for Thailand from various companies.  So far, the Thai authorities have not taken advantage of the software available.  Don't you think they'd have announced it with the usual fanfare if they had.

Tracking foreigners is fine but you can't call that technology in so far as it entails a look-up on their database.  As has been said, a tablet or laptop would suffice.  However, in a list of priorities, identifying overstayers should come well below, traffic/road safety, driver and vehicle qualification, criminals at large etc etc.  Pro-active policing, but that would mean policeman doing their job and enforcing the law.

Foreigners are easy meat. 

The locals don't abide by the laws, are belligerent and can cause problems.

Low hanging fruit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thequietman said:

A motorcycle and a tablet would have done the same job, but a helluva lot cheaper,but where's the kickbacks in that I ask you. ????

I would imagine in the pockets of a smart policeman, smart politician or smart public servant. Or more likely, all three.

16 hours ago, legend49 said:

CNX has 6 BMWs I counted in IMO car park. Why I counted them, the car park was full and these clowns on parking take up 2 spaces so 12 cars denied parking.

@legend49True. But I also see them always parked and rarely being used. Last time I was there about a month ago, 4 IOs were posing in front of the cars for photos.

15 hours ago, 007 RED said:

@007 REDThanks for the first somewhat more positive reply and insight. Well done, double-o-seven. I was also more interested in knowing the technology behind and how well it worked (or not). 

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

German taxis are 5-series. 3 is for wife's shopping etc.

@DrTuner 3 series for wife's shopping? Only if the wife works as an underpaid cleaning lady. 

At last i have a smart car before it was just a car with a dash cam and with my laptop  on the seat and a 500 bht inverter. Now if i want to sell it, ' car for sale with smart technology availability"    Something I can go and boast about at a bar, wow i am up there man, the lady's will be so impressed i'll get the highest bar stool in the joint. :coffee1:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2020 at 10:09 AM, z42 said:

Wouldn't they be smarter if they were less conspicuous, and if they were considerably less expensive to purchase and run?

The practices of immigration over the last 12 months or so have been insidious to an absurd degree.

It's sad to see how pathetic and creepy their rank xenophobia is.

When will the Smart Car that detects a killer gold robber be availiable?