Immigration's BMW "Smart Cars" the latest tool to rid Thailand of illegal foreigners

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Naew Na published two reports - one from Pattaya and one from Nonthaburi - in which immigration's much heralded Smart Cars (BMWs) were used  to arrest illegal foreigners.

So I guess a "laptop" didn't look so effective in an Isuzu pick-up?

• Haha 1
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A motorcycle and a tablet would have done the same job, but a helluva lot cheaper,but where's the kickbacks in that I ask you. 🙂

You stick a computer and a WIFI hub in a 1973 Datsun 1200, and it will do the same job.   Trying to rationalize BMW's so you can buy more is so transparent.   Should have gone with

What would justify this being labeled a smart car would be a revolving Falangometer on the roof that slowly scanned in a 360 degree circle searching for miscreants. If it homed in on one it should emi

Posted Images

RE - Immigration's BMW "Smart Cars" the latest tool to rid Thailand of illegal foreigners

* BMW? They should have gone for Audi- you know the car with 4 zeros in the front grill where the biggest zero(s) would then have been naturally placed behind the steering wheel ... :coffee1:

Edited by ttrd
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Spot on.... The camera on the top of the car, behind the emergency light bar, is a Tilt, Pan, Zoom camera which is linked to a computer mounted in the boot of the vehicle.  The computer is linked via WiFi to the new Immigration facial recognition database.

These cars have been deployed for quite some time.  I first spotted 3 of them parked in my local Immigration office (Nakhon Pathom) in January 2019 when I did my 90 day reporting.  I have subsequently seen them parked outside the local big factories who employ a large number of migrant workers as the shifts are about to change.

During a recent visit to my local Immigration office I spoke to one of the IOs who was about to get into one of the vehicles.  He was happy to show me the system and agreed to do a demo with me as a possible 'suspect'.  I walked about 150 meters from the car and then turned around.  According to my wife who was watching the demo in the car, my photo and details came up on the computer screen within a matter of seconds after I turned around and my face was picked out by the camera.  The picture and details on the screen were from my passport and the IO was then able to 'drill down' to my history.

As well as the facial recognition system, the IO also has access to a passport scanner (like those used at boarder entry/exit point) so that they can put the photo page of your passport onto it and read the data held on the microchip that is embedded within the passport to check if the passport is real or fake.

I totally agree with many previous posters, using 300 series BMW is somewhat over the top.  A bog standard pickup would have done the same thing at a fraction of the cost.  I know, there is unlikely to be worthwhile kickbacks from purchasing pickups.

20190122_124532-iv.jpg

Khampaeng Phet Immigration have a couple but the IOs who came out after my marriage extension had a Toyota saloon car.

Overstay expats/foreigners whatever the correct title must be removed ASAP and at any cost.  Trump has the wall, Thailand has toughest Immigration police and laws i have seen.  Good job!  Keep it up.  Good guys in, bad out!

I must admit, I do applaud Thailand's effort to remove illegals. I have lived in Thailand and Laos for many years, and always legally, even if it has cost and been frustrating. For people to just think they can live anywhere without documentation, what planet are they on?? Do it properly, or go home!! In this instance I am fully supportive of the policy - even if it is the only one!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
10 hours ago, Denim said:

What would justify this being labeled a smart car would be a revolving Falangometer on the roof that slowly scanned in a 360 degree circle searching for miscreants. If it homed in on one it should emit an ' Eee-oop lads ' signal to notify the IO controller.

The following is a picture of a similar vehicle recently tested in Bradford and Southall. It was a failure as it got too hot and kept burning out the circuit boards. Should be OK here though.

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ Car with radar on roof

Don't forget to signal all of the baa-humbug holier-than-thou crusty old foreigners, so they can feel good about themselves for a few seconds.

• Sad 1