BANGKOK
rooster59

Immigration's BMW "Smart Cars" the latest tool to rid Thailand of illegal foreigners

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Naew Na published two reports - one from Pattaya and one from Nonthaburi - in which immigration's much heralded Smart Cars (BMWs) were used  to arrest illegal foreigners.

So I guess a "laptop" didn't look so effective in an Isuzu pick-up?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, reargunnerph3 said:

It was a smart car until the driver got in.

Applause.

• Haha 1

RE - Immigration's BMW "Smart Cars" the latest tool to rid Thailand of illegal foreigners

* BMW? They should have gone for Audi- you know the car with 4 zeros in the front grill where the biggest zero(s) would then have been naturally placed behind the steering wheel ... :coffee1:

Edited by ttrd
  • Haha 1

If they wanted to invest in 'smart cars', they could invest in an ANPR system and pull illegal vehicles and drivers off the road.

Sorry! I'm dreaming.

3 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Spot on.... The camera on the top of the car, behind the emergency light bar, is a Tilt, Pan, Zoom camera which is linked to a computer mounted in the boot of the vehicle.  The computer is linked via WiFi to the new Immigration facial recognition database.

These cars have been deployed for quite some time.  I first spotted 3 of them parked in my local Immigration office (Nakhon Pathom) in January 2019 when I did my 90 day reporting.  I have subsequently seen them parked outside the local big factories who employ a large number of migrant workers as the shifts are about to change.

During a recent visit to my local Immigration office I spoke to one of the IOs who was about to get into one of the vehicles.  He was happy to show me the system and agreed to do a demo with me as a possible 'suspect'.  I walked about 150 meters from the car and then turned around.  According to my wife who was watching the demo in the car, my photo and details came up on the computer screen within a matter of seconds after I turned around and my face was picked out by the camera.  The picture and details on the screen were from my passport and the IO was then able to 'drill down' to my history.

As well as the facial recognition system, the IO also has access to a passport scanner (like those used at boarder entry/exit point) so that they can put the photo page of your passport onto it and read the data held on the microchip that is embedded within the passport to check if the passport is real or fake.

I totally agree with many previous posters, using 300 series BMW is somewhat over the top.  A bog standard pickup would have done the same thing at a fraction of the cost.  I know, there is unlikely to be worthwhile kickbacks from purchasing pickups.

20190122_124532-iv.jpg

Khampaeng Phet Immigration have a couple but the IOs who came out after my marriage extension had a Toyota saloon car.

Just out of interest. How many BMW's did they buy? and how many illegals have they caught using them?

How much cost per/ illegal?

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Khampaeng Phet Immigration have a couple but the IOs who came out after my marriage extension had a Toyota saloon car.

What were they drinking?

Overstay expats/foreigners whatever the correct title must be removed ASAP and at any cost.  Trump has the wall, Thailand has toughest Immigration police and laws i have seen.  Good job!  Keep it up.  Good guys in, bad out!

I must admit, I do applaud Thailand's effort to remove illegals. I have lived in Thailand and Laos for many years, and always legally, even if it has cost and been frustrating. For people to just think they can live anywhere without documentation, what planet are they on?? Do it properly, or go home!! In this instance I am fully supportive of the policy - even if it is the only one!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, sencelebi said:

What that camera does on top of the roof, face recognition or what?

Its to keep a record of where he is going, so he can find his way back.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Rimmer said:

One has to wonder if a Toyota and a lap top could become a smart car?

The ANPR system in UK police cars would seem to be a lot smarter than this dumb but very expensive car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hello,, what makes you think the cars are not equipped with license plate recognition??? 

the technology has been around since the mid seventies for law enforcement. 

as we speak almost all police cruisers in north america use simple dash mounted digital readers showing not only license recognition, speed, and thru police/dept transport data banks the registered owners criminal record, deiving history, licence for firearms and permission for concealed carry ++.

the thai roof mounted cameras include readers, plus HD digital with infra red for night vision, rotating thru 360 degree and vertical axis they appear more sophisticated than most police vehicles in other parts of the world...

and really, isn't a BMW a  far better carrier, HD suspension and capable of extreme high speeds than your typical toy camry.   

?what is actually the problem with the thai  police utilizing tech that's been around for almost 50 years??

BMW does assemble in thailand for many years, so it costs more than a toyota, you do get what you pay for. 

in the late 80's i lost my drivers license for DWI and gave my vehicle to my daughter.  within a week she was pulled over for a random check. she didn't think much about it until 2 weeks later she was pulled over again for a *random* check, when she questioned the officer, he admitted the vehicle had been pulled over because the licensed owner was under suspension.. the police vehicle was equipped with plate recognition many, many years ago..

another instance also comes to mind, over 30 years ago a buddy, cruising for a female *companion* found one and went to motel... when he woke up his car was gone,, in the glove box were $1,000's in endorsed cheques meant for deposit. he called me in a panic asking i check the police about the car.. i gave the police the license # and they advised the various times his car had been reported and recorded while he cruised *the track* the night before..... 

APNR as you call it/plate recognition software is in use all over the world.... i'm surprised the thai bashers would pick such a subject. if chasing an overstay bandito or angel or any other at high speed, would you not want an armored BMW vs a motor bike with a tablet 🙂

in my humble opinion

10 hours ago, Denim said:

What would justify this being labeled a smart car would be a revolving Falangometer on the roof that slowly scanned in a 360 degree circle searching for miscreants. If it homed in on one it should emit an ' Eee-oop lads ' signal to notify the IO controller.

The following is a picture of a similar vehicle recently tested in Bradford and Southall. It was a failure as it got too hot and kept burning out the circuit boards. Should be OK here though.

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ Car with radar on roof

Don't forget to signal all of the baa-humbug holier-than-thou crusty old foreigners, so they can feel good about themselves for a few seconds.

• Sad 1