Park Life: New Tiger Park to open in Chalong already challenged on ‘ethical confinement’

rooster59

Park Life: New Tiger Park to open in Chalong already challenged on ‘ethical confinement’

By The Phuket News

1579245867_1-org.jpg

Tigers on show for tourists at Tiger Park Pattaya. Photo: Tiger Park Pattaya

PHUKET: A new tiger tourist attraction in Phuket simply called Tiger Park, slated to open by the end of this month, is already under fire from animal welfare groups for offering yet another option for tourists to have their photos taken with the majestic animals.

Yet, Tippawan Prathummanee, General Manager of Tiger Park Phuket, which operates under Navaphol Big Tiger Co Ltd, the operator of Tiger Park Pattaya, defends the new park’s form of operations. The park does not raise tigers to sell or to exchange for other wildlife animals.

“Our goal is to ensure that all of our tigers live in natural environments that make them feel safe… You can feel, touch, hug and take photos with tigers without chains or drug control,” Ms Tippawan said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/park-life-new-tiger-park-to-open-in-chalong-already-challenged-on-ethical-confinement-74435.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-01-18

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

what do they dope them up on?

In the media article the manager specifically states they are not drugged, but she also says they are conserving the species so they can be returned to the forest.

23 minutes ago, greeneking said:

Figures vary widely, but 100sq km per wild tiger for a home range seems about right.  How big is this place again?

About 14 rai for 29 tigers.

All bred in Pattaya - there goes the neighborhood!

Targeted at tourists from India, China and Russia.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

“Our goal is to ensure that all of our tigers live in natural environments that make them feel safe… You can feel, touch, hug and take photos with tigers without chains or drug control,” Ms Tippawan said.

Well it's not a <deleted> natural environment then, is it?

“I understand that there are a lot of different thoughts about tigers, but our main purpose is to conserve tigers in Thailand.

Absolute tosh. Their main purpose is to make money by exploiting both tigers and gullible tourists

I agree. When I visited a Tiger park in north island New Zealand, the dedicated trainer of the tiger we visited was with me all the time, the tiger was restrained with a chain, and you were not allowed in front of the tigers shoulders ( strike area) . Just touch the shoulder only. At CNX Tiger farm these lovely tourists can lounge all over the tigers for photos, tigers must be doped to let that happen. The same trainer was mauled to death by that tiger 5 months after my visit, the animal park closed indefinately.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You can feel, touch, hug and take photos with tigers without chains or drug control..

I'd like to see the insurance policy for this place!  Or if a tourist is hurt see how their home insurance company views any claim.

Baby tigers are cute for photos, but what happens to the older ones?  See what the Kanchanaburi Temple did.  They also said they were honestly taking care of the tigers.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, greeneking said:

You can feel, touch, hug and take photos with tigers without chains or drug control..

I'd like to see the insurance policy for this place!  Or if a tourist is hurt see how their home insurance company views any claim.

Baby tigers are cute for photos, but what happens to the older ones?  See what the Kanchanaburi Temple did.  They also said they were honestly taking care of the tigers.

Best thing the army did or will probably ever do was to shut down that place.

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

You can PAY to touch, hug and take photos etc etc etc.

On 1/18/2020 at 4:52 PM, Con Peoples Fund said:

Our goal is to ensure that all of our tigers live in natural environments that make them feel safe… You can feel, touch, hug and take photos with tigers without chains or drug control,” Ms Tippawan said.

<deleted> ms tippawan. Ur goal is to exploit them tiger to make money thats it.

Fellow TVers can anyone pls advise who to contact to try and stop this park from opening? 

I believe the setup budget was around 100mill baht.  Good luck stopping that.

With some last minute construction still happening the rear big gates have been left open at times for large vehicles to enter. A friend went in yesterday to check the place out. He said the tigers didn't even look up at him as he passed by their cages. Apparently there is a pool with a large seating area around it, no doubt for shows. The once largely empty field is now heavily forested with hundreds of imported trees.   

Edited by Old Croc