Marriage Extension "More Changes" To The Usual Paperwork ?

On 1/18/2020 at 4:00 PM, LOS1 said:

Did my first extension based on marriage at Udon Thani on Jan. 15th. Previously on retirement extensions. We needed an updated kor ror 2 no older than a week from the 15th (which we had). Also, a "meaningless" bank statement (from the bank...100 baht) which shows 6 months activity, but NOT including the current month ????. I am now "under consideration" until I report back Feb. 14th.

Side story:

Oh, and at the end the IO says: 2500 baht. I say: No, it's 1900 baht. He says: 500 baht charge from retirement to marriage. I say: It is not in any immigration rules/charges that I have read. So, caught with my gonies between my legs I put down the extra 500 baht while glaring at the IO. He takes it, and then surprisingly throws the 500 baht back on the table. Better watch my back when I come back there on the 14th Feb.???? 

Hi I too changed my visa extension from an O-A retirement to marriage in Udon Thani prior to the Thai health insurance requirement Oct. 31. My next extension based upon marriage is due in July 2020. Did they ask you for proof of health insurance for the marriage extension? Also, I too, was told the application fee was 2500 Baht. I did not question the extra 600 Baht fee because they were holding my application for the next 30 days. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Morning Person said:

I too, was told the application fee was 2500 Baht. I did not question the extra 600 Baht fee because they were holding my application for the next 30 days. 

I think some IO's are trying to hit the farangs for the short fall on losses from agents missing out on extensions as farangs change over to other extensions.

I have a friend arriving on the 27th who did a 2 year extension (if he explained it properly) as he said it was a non O/A and when I asked him if he has any insurance for the 2nd part or money in an account, he said no, he paid an agent 13,000 baht, I said careful mate as it expires on the 30th and you might get pulled up at airport immigration, his reply was don't know nothing about that, I said you should, he said if he gets pulled up he will give IO's the number of the agent W T F ? 

13 hours ago, Morning Person said:

Hi I too changed my visa extension from an O-A retirement to marriage in Udon Thani prior to the Thai health insurance requirement Oct. 31. My next extension based upon marriage is due in July 2020. Did they ask you for proof of health insurance for the marriage extension? Also, I too, was told the application fee was 2500 Baht. I did not question the extra 600 Baht fee because they were holding my application for the next 30 days. 

I have an "O" visa (not O-A). Did not need proof of health insurance. Recent immigration changes have dictated health insurance for O-A visa holders as you stated. My suggestion is to call immigration as to their requirements. 

As regards to the extra 600 Baht charge: It was obviously a trumped up charge!????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think some IO's are trying to hit the farangs for the short fall on losses from agents missing out on extensions as farangs change over to other extensions.

They are certainly looking for ways to increase their income as I had some feedback relating to an immigration meeting in Bangkok, and that was mentioned. I did not get the detail of whether they are looking  to increase under the table income or that from legitimate charges. 

I suspect their earnings are reducing and they wish to recover, whether it is for the reason you mention, or also includes much reduced numbers generally, I am unsure. 

• Thanks 1

updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry, which cost 10 baht each very important document to have, I did 10 copies before my immigration visit last week! this is my 9th renewal ( extension based on Marriage), from experience all depends on the IO on the day, every time I go for extension there are less or more evidence required ,  some time frustrating/annoying but we need to use to it! the strange request for the IO last week during my 9th extension is to provide a map to my house in Bangkok which I always keep few copies with me, the map previously provided by the local government when I built my house ! but this time the IO asked me to have hand written map which my wife did in front of the IO, these one of the things that depends on the officer on that day, some time strange to have those kind of things specially for people from western countries as everything we have in our country regulated and systematically approached, but the way done Thailand different and we need to be an open minded , many things been approved but still many other things needs to be continuously improved 

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 12:45 PM, Morning Person said:

Did my first marriage extension at Jomtien after years of retirement ,1900 baht , no one even commented that i was changing .

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 10:15 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Long of the short, has anyone experienced A or B, and if not, better to check before you go in for your renewal, just in case, as this is not supposed to be a stressful event, doing the paperwork is enough, add the waiting time at the bank, etc, etc, repeat annually...lol

Happened to me today. I had to go get the letter at the Amphur, then at 4:30 we got a phone call and they refused my embassy letter affidavit proof of income. I am close to Pattaya and I need help. I have 3 weeks left on my extension. Really stressed now. We did everything by the book and still got nailed.

Edited by LazySlipper
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Happened to me today. I had to go get the letter at the Amphur, then at 4:30 we got a phone call and they refused my embassy letter affidavit proof of income. I am close to Pattaya and I need help. I have 3 weeks left on my extension. Really stressed now. We did everything by the book and still got nailed.

What reason did they give for refusing your Embassy Income letter?

What documents did you supply to your Embassy as proof of Income. Some IO's are requesting the supporting documents, and/or even proof of 40K monthly transfers/400K in bank.

Off topic but related:

Cute story about Kor Ror 2.

There was something I was doing several years back, don't remember now and not important, and after doing research here and other forums I knew exactly what I needed to take to the appointment.  One of those items was a current Kor Ror 2.  I tell my bride we need go to amphur for the requisite document and she goes off.  Why you need?  Who tell you? You ba!  All the standard <deleted> I am sure many of you have to listen to anytime you present a new idea on something.  Anyways, she yak yaks me all the way to amphur about she not understand why need.  She makes her way in and is out in about 15 minutes with document in hand.  She is bubbly and all smiles.  She says "Tilak, you know what do." Turns out the ladies inside explained the document expires every month(?, as I recall) and good we came by to get new one.  Now, anytime we need do anything she insists we stop by for a  new Kor Ror 2 whether we need it or not.

YMMV

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

What reason did they give for refusing your Embassy Income letter?

I gave my embassy banks statements form my bank back home. I had proof of transfer 40k in bank but not thai bank.

The IO said they didn't like the word "affidavit" on the letter... I had the embassy letter and the proof of deposit in my bank account back home. I do not withdraw or transfer that amount here. I use my credit card when I need cash and we use my wife's salary. The CDN loonie is just too <deleted> to transfer this amount I would lose too much,

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

I gave my embassy banks statements form my bank back home. I had proof of transfer 40k in bank but not thai bank.

The IO said they didn't like the word "affidavit" on the letter... I had the embassy letter and the proof of deposit in my bank account back home. I do not withdraw or transfer that amount here. I use my credit card when I need cash and we use my wife's salary. The CDN loonie is just too <deleted> to transfer this amount I would lose too much,

I stated a long time ago when the UK, US and Australia stopped issuing Embassy income letters, how long it would be before Immigration started requesting proof of actual income in Thailand and the source as supporting evidence to Embassy Income letters.

Although many expats believe obtaining an Embassy Income letter absolves them from the financial requirements, it's only an assumption based on the wording of Thai Immigrations regulations, which although it is not specific that funds/income have to be in a Thai bank, it neither states you can leave those funds/income in your foreign bank.

You've discovered that fact to your detriment. 

Your only options under the circumstances are;

1. Take the wording of the letter up with your Embassy, although I fear you are probably swearing an affidavit.

2. Apply for a Non Imm O ME Visa from the Thai Embassy in Savannakhet, No proof of funds required.

Each 90 day entry can be extended by 60 days, so border runs can be stretched to 150 days apart.

Start transferring 40K per month for the future, or 400K if you have the funds, then you'll be in a position to reapply for an extension next year. Look at 'Transferwise' for affordable transfers.

Edited by Tanoshi

15 hours ago, tango sierra said:

Changed from O-A Retirement to O-A Marriage at Udon on 14 Jan, no mention of Health Insurance

Thank You for the information. You are the first person to respond to my question concerning health insurance. I have been checking all forums since the law went into effect. I was going to ask Immigration at my next 90 day but even though one IO may say no health insurance required another may say yes it is required when It is time to extend. Therefore, of all the forums including this one, you are the first person I have encountered to have gone through the process when renewing O-A marriage in Udon after the law went into effect.. Therefore, it gives me hope.

On 1/21/2020 at 1:45 PM, Tanoshi said:

Start transferring 40K per month for the future, or 400K if you have the funds, then you'll be in a position to reapply for an extension next year. Look at 'Transferwise' for affordable transfers.

I understood from an earlier post by @ubonjoe that when you 'kill' your present Visa or extension, by exiting Thailand without a re-entry permit after expiry of the Visa validity, and then re-enter Visa Exempt your application for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local IO is regarded as 'starting from scratch again'.

Which means that you do not need to show an unbroken chain of 12 monthly income-transfers.  But that you only need 1 new income transfer (with foreign origin proven) to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  And when you apply in the last month of that 90 days for a 1 year extension of stay, you would then only need proof that you continued the income-transfers (which could thus be only 3 months - the initial month before applying for the 90-day Visa and the 2 months after it was granted before applying for the extension).

Is that not correct?

13 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

I understood from an earlier post by @ubonjoe that when you 'kill' your present Visa or extension, by exiting Thailand without a re-entry permit after expiry of the Visa validity, and then re-enter Visa Exempt your application for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local IO is regarded as 'starting from scratch again'.

Which means that you do not need to show an unbroken chain of 12 monthly income-transfers.  But that you only need 1 new income transfer (with foreign origin proven) to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  And when you apply in the last month of that 90 days for a 1 year extension of stay, you would then only need proof that you continued the income-transfers (which could thus be only 3 months - the initial month before applying for the 90-day Visa and the 2 months after it was granted before applying for the extension).

Is that not correct?

Correct, but why enter Visa exempt, then convert to Non O, then apply for extension, when the OP being married to a Thai can obtain a single entry Non O from Savannakhet, then directly apply for an extension based on marriage, which would require 2 monthly transfers of 40K or 400K deposited for 2 months prior to the date of application.

I advised him to obtain a Non O, not enter VE and go through the conversion process.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Correct, but why enter Visa exempt, then convert to Non O, then apply for extension, when the OP being married to a Thai can obtain a single entry Non O from Savannakhet, then directly apply for an extension based on marriage, which would require 2 monthly transfers of 40K or 400K deposited for 2 months prior to the date of application.

I advised him to obtain a Non O, not enter VE and go through the conversion process.

Hi Tanoshi,

For the OP's case your advice is of course the best/easiest way to proceed.

My post was of a more general nature, as I was not 100% sure whether an in-country application for a Non Imm O Visa could be started with only 1 month foreign-origin proven income-transfer.

But you confirmed my understanding that that is indeed possible.

Note: And that;s of course also an option for the OP when for one reason or another his Savannakhet application is turned down.

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Tanoshi,

For the OP's case your advice is of course the best/easiest way to proceed.

My post was of a more general nature, as I was not 100% sure whether an in-country application for a Non Imm O Visa could be started with only 1 month foreign-origin proven income-transfer.

But you confirmed my understanding that that is indeed possible.

Note: And that;s of course also an option for the OP when for one reason or another his Savannakhet application is turned down.

An in-Country application only requires proof of funds or transfer deposited in a Thai bank without any seasoning requirements, so one 40K overseas transfer would be sufficient.

The 90 day Non O then allows sufficient time for the required seasoning period of 2 months for any fund/transfer deposit to meet the criteria for an extension application.

TM86 to change Visa status (TV to Non O), or TM87 apply for Non O (VE to Non O).

As detailed on the basis of retirement. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

A Non O from Savannakhet requires no proof of any funds or income.

Providing the OP has his Passport and signed copies of his Marriage certificate, wife's Tabien Bann and ID card there is no reason for him to be denied. His wife need not attend.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

I just read this story to my Thai Wife  and she is shaking her head and laughing in disbelief, "how stupid", she says. "We would have to drive once a year from Bangkok to Ubon". We are happy I use a retirement visa, but God knows what will happen when I go in next week to renew.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:35 PM, 86Tiger said:

Off topic but related:

Cute story about Kor Ror 2.

There was something I was doing several years back, don't remember now and not important, and after doing research here and other forums I knew exactly what I needed to take to the appointment.  One of those items was a current Kor Ror 2.  I tell my bride we need go to amphur for the requisite document and she goes off.  Why you need?  Who tell you? You ba!  All the standard <deleted> I am sure many of you have to listen to anytime you present a new idea on something.  Anyways, she yak yaks me all the way to amphur about she not understand why need.  She makes her way in and is out in about 15 minutes with document in hand.  She is bubbly and all smiles.  She says "Tilak, you know what do." Turns out the ladies inside explained the document expires every month(?, as I recall) and good we came by to get new one.  Now, anytime we need do anything she insists we stop by for a  new Kor Ror 2 whether we need it or not.

YMMV

My wife is fortunate that I gave her that admin role from day one, so she has to do it annually.

I scan every document best I can and put it in a file so we can just print off two copies every year and get an update of the bank letter, mayor's ID card when expired etc etc, but this time she said we need a copy of every bank book page, I said BS, they only need the letter from the bank and a copy of the bank book 3 months back and an update on the day.

When we went to the IO, on top of the new Kor Ror 2 we had to have copies of the bank book pages, when I asked the IO, why haven't we had to do that every other year, he smiled and said, because I do for you......oooops, wife looks at me and said, you stupid farang, not listen....lol, with my reply being, you right darling, me stupid for marry you, with the IO laughing, then I blew her a kiss with a smile on my face, which she appreciated of course and smiled back at me and showed me her middle finger ????

The more i read about this marriage visa lark ,the more i know my wife would not put up with their inane requests and probably thump them .

It does however make my 18 k yearly gift to an IM wife /aka. agent for my retirement visa a complete bargain as i have not been inside an IM office for years apart from the odd 90 day report

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, poohy said:

i have not been inside an IM office for years apart from the odd 90 day report

That's strange -- I thought, even with an agent to perform some magic, you had to appear at least once in Immigration for your annual extension, for sigs and the photo. But, I guess, some agents have more magic than others.....

Also strange that, with such aversion to IO visits, you wouldn't do your 90 day reports online, or by mail..... Plus, most packages with agents include the 90 day reports..... Hmmmm.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimGant said:

That's strange -- I thought, even with an agent to perform some magic, you had to appear at least once in Immigration for your annual extension, for sigs and the photo. But, I guess, some agents have more magic than others.....

Also strange that, with such aversion to IO visits, you wouldn't do your 90 day reports online, or by mail..... Plus, most packages with agents include the 90 day reports..... Hmmmm.

Yes my gal (or rather her hubby) works wonders give her the passport an photo that's it ,i am sure she could do 90 day reports if i wanted but the main office (and her)  is 80km from me and I have no real aversion to going to my local 2 man IM office its only 20 mins away by motorbike, and very friendly but can only do basic immigration stuff 

Also with the UK trips i dont really need to do too many 90 day reports

Edited by poohy

On 1/18/2020 at 2:42 AM, rumbo1 said:

Yes I had to have copies of bank book going back to 2013 at Nong khai and kor por2

WHat happens if you don't have old bank books? I threw away my old bank books to reduce clutter Of course I would use an agent (for retirmenet extesnion) and those issues won't come up for sure.

Edited by Vascoda