Video: Car doors (and the people who open them)....enemy of motorcyclists claims another victim

rooster59

49 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

My experience is that most Thais are very aware of opening car doors. They are accustomed to motorcycles everywhere and neither want their cars damaged nor to hurt others. 

I am particularly careful, however, when on my bikes in tourist areas passing taxis. 

Rooster

I wish I could agree with you on that one, but my experience is the opposite.

Three or four years ago I was coming out of the house and heard the crash of a collision.

As I carried on walking out to the road and a hundred yards to the local shop, I could see a pick-up parked outside the shop. The driver's door was bend forwards 180 degrees. Laying on the road was a motorbike and the rider.

Perhaps in Bangkok it's different, but in Udon I regularly see people walking from a roadside shop with their purchase, 'flinging' the driver's door open without looking to see if there's any approaching traffic.

Hence my earlier post about giving any non-moving vehicle two metres space to avoid the 'door-throwers' ignoring oncoming motorbikes.

I don't know why, but one of the most common 'offenders' are ice delivery truck drivers for some reason.

A few months ago when I was out bicycling, a woman driver sitting in her car opened her door slowly looking to the rear, saw me approaching, smiled and closed the door until I'd gone passed. That was nice.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

My guess is that will be classed as an accident and all is forgotten. Thicky who opened the car door should be prosecuted

All parties are at fault , The pickup driver for not looking before opening the door. The Motor bike rider for overtaking too close to the Pickup. And the Car driver for driving too close to the bike rider,  Seen this lots of times in the Uk, What amazes me is the slow reaction time of most driver's in Thailand.

• Like 2

I always ride in a way that I won't get knocked down by a car door.

But that's not the most dangerous behaviour of Thais in general. 

Whenever I ride alone, nobody cares and people make U turns even when I've got my lights and hazard on.

In a county where the majority doesn't even have a driver's license, no wonder.

Does Pinocchio know that? 

7 hours ago, Chazar said:

Not  100%   correct, UK highway code states  leaving a  car doors  width when passing parked  vehicles..........whether that applies to Thailand I have no idea.

As usual no helmet on the bike rider and the routine check  mirror, glance behind  , indicate etc  pull  out to do this totally absent. Points for  actually  got  mirrors  though

Pick up driver is a retard but "normal"

You are confused about Britain's (not the UK's) Highway Code. Leaving a car door's width when passing is just advice. It is not advice that can always be followed, for example when another idiot coming towards you suddenly veers over to your side of the road. 

In the case reported in this thread, the person who opened the car door and knocked the lady off her motorbike is 100% at fault. 

Edited by JungleBiker
Correction

56 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

All parties are at fault , The pickup driver for not looking before opening the door. The Motor bike rider for overtaking too close to the Pickup. And the Car driver for driving too close to the bike rider,  Seen this lots of times in the Uk, What amazes me is the slow reaction time of most driver's in Thailand.

The motorcyclist was not at fault.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I hate people who open their car doors, I always climb out of my sunroof and slide down the windshield. 

I always peek out the door to make sure coast is clear before opening all the way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

I always peek out the door to make sure coast is clear before opening all the way. 

I was only joking,

I always (ok most of the time) look in my mirror before opening my door in traffic. though I will admit , sometimes absent minded  I open  it without thinking or looking. 

Just now, bluesofa said:
9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I hate people who open their car doors, I always climb out of my sunroof and slide down the windshield. 

I would, but I suffer from vertigo.

Dude never mind getting out , you should try getting back in your car with groceries through the sunroof.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Mirrors are for makeup and squeezing zits. Using them to look behind you to see what's coming? What a weird concept.

Best not to look in my mirrors, all short of scary stuff happening there, 

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I wish I could agree with you on that one, but my experience is the opposite.

Three or four years ago I was coming out of the house and heard the crash of a collision.

As I carried on walking out to the road and a hundred yards to the local shop, I could see a pick-up parked outside the shop. The driver's door was bend forwards 180 degrees. Laying on the road was a motorbike and the rider.

Perhaps in Bangkok it's different, but in Udon I regularly see people walking from a roadside shop with their purchase, 'flinging' the driver's door open without looking to see if there's any approaching traffic.

Hence my earlier post about giving any non-moving vehicle two metres space to avoid the 'door-throwers' ignoring oncoming motorbikes.

I don't know why, but one of the most common 'offenders' are ice delivery truck drivers for some reason.

A few months ago when I was out bicycling, a woman driver sitting in her car opened her door slowly looking to the rear, saw me approaching, smiled and closed the door until I'd gone passed. That was nice.

You can't compare the countryside to Bangkok. People are more aware of their surroundings in the capital. When I go upcountry I am prepared for the sheer madness. All the bad driving I witness is outside Bangkok where there are fewer accidents than almost anywhere in Thailand. 

Rooster

On 1/18/2020 at 10:41 AM, DLock said:

I opened the curb side door of a taxi in BKK and took out a motorcyclist whizzing down the gutter lane.

Bent the taxi door backwards. He wasn't very happy.

My fault? Maybe. 

In this case, just an accident - both should have been more aware.

I did the same. Taxi correctly signaled and moved over to stop. I opened the door curb side and some plonker on a motor bike decided to try and nip between taxi and curb. 

Taxi driver gave him some baht and sent him on his way. Generous as it was the rider caused it with his rash chance taking.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

Three things made this accident happen and get worse. They all involved critical thinking and being proactive and aware.

1) The person who opened the car door didn't check to see if traffic was coming. 

2) The motorcycle rider didn't take into account that the door (any door at any time) could be opened without notice. The rider could have easily thought of this and slowed down and moved a bit off to the side.

3) The driver of the car that ran her over should have anticipated the possibility of the door opening and taking out the motorbike driver and been ready for evasive action.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 7:09 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I'd need a neck like an owl to be able to do that! ???? I instead open the door by 2-3" and waggle it about a few times to announce the fact that i'm about to get out.