Iranian chess ref accused of flouting dress code says she won't return home

rooster59

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

My aunt was a Catholic nun - her (pre-Vatican 2) outfit was not dissimilar to the way many Moslem women dress in the Middle East. I learnt recently that in 19th Century England it was considered indecent for a woman to appear in public without some form of head covering, even if on the way to or from work in a factory. Those who carry on about how women should/shouldn't dress in other cultures are generally ignorant of the wider world or any sense of their own, let alone others' history.  Until the last 200 years many peasant women in SE Asia do not cover their breasts, something some of our members would probably have welcomed - https://mythailand.blog/2017/02/24/thailand-topless-women/

Equating hijab or burqa with the pre-Vatican II habit is spot on.  In most depictions you do not see the Virgin Mary's hair.

When I was a kid the Catholic ladies would cover their heads when they went into a church, my mother, aunts etc would have kerchiefs in a pocket somewhere and worst case a handkerchief atop the head with a bobby pin.

But the whole concept in the modernizing Muslim world is falling apart.  E.g. in Malaysia you'll see women in hijabs who are wearing distractingly tight clothes and makeup.  No complaints from me ???? but if the whole idea is modesty ummm...

• Like 1

An off topic troll post linked to the BBC and trying to hijack the topic has been removed:

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

5 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

My aunt was a Catholic nun - her (pre-Vatican 2) outfit was not dissimilar to the way many Moslem women dress in the Middle East. I learnt recently that in 19th Century England it was considered indecent for a woman to appear in public without some form of head covering, even if on the way to or from work in a factory. Those who carry on about how women should/shouldn't dress in other cultures are generally ignorant of the wider world or any sense of their own, let alone others' history.  Until the last 200 years many peasant women in SE Asia do not cover their breasts, something some of our members would probably have welcomed

https://mythailand.blog/2017/02/24/thailand-topless-women/

Only one tiny miny difference: THOSE women did this volontarity and were NOT punished when they did not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

Equating hijab or burqa with the pre-Vatican II habit is spot on.  In most depictions you do not see the Virgin Mary's hair.

When I was a kid the Catholic ladies would cover their heads when they went into a church, my mother, aunts etc would have kerchiefs in a pocket somewhere and worst case a handkerchief atop the head with a bobby pin.

But the whole concept in the modernizing Muslim world is falling apart.  E.g. in Malaysia you'll see women in hijabs who are wearing distractingly tight clothes and makeup.  No complaints from me ???? but if the whole idea is modesty ummm...

In the Eastern Orthodox churches women are still required to wear some sort of covering on their head. Very often in photos & videos of rural life in Eastern European countries, older women will be wearing a scarf around their head.

That is not to excuse countries like Iran in forcing their women to wear a scarf while they're overseas. Social media will be the catalyst for this to die out eventually as the younger women are more likely to oppose (or suffer) it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

That's not true.  

Yes it is. But to clarify my post should have included 'while worshipping'.

.......it continues to be the normal practice in other parts of the world, such as Russia, Ukraine, Ethiopia, India, Pakistan, and South Korea.[6] The style of the Christian head covering and Christian hair covering varies by region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_head_covering

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

My aunt was a Catholic nun - her (pre-Vatican 2) outfit was not dissimilar to the way many Moslem women dress in the Middle East. I learnt recently that in 19th Century England it was considered indecent for a woman to appear in public without some form of head covering, even if on the way to or from work in a factory. Those who carry on about how women should/shouldn't dress in other cultures are generally ignorant of the wider world or any sense of their own, let alone others' history.  Until the last 200 years many peasant women in SE Asia do not cover their breasts, something some of our members would probably have welcomed - https://mythailand.blog/2017/02/24/thailand-topless-women/

Oddest thing but the world has moved on since the 1800's.

OK some parts of the world have moved on since the 1800's. Indeed some parts have moved on since the 600's.

50 minutes ago, khunken said:

In the Eastern Orthodox churches women are still required to wear some sort of covering on their head. Very often in photos & videos of rural life in Eastern European countries, older women will be wearing a scarf around their head.

That is not to excuse countries like Iran in forcing their women to wear a scarf while they're overseas. Social media will be the catalyst for this to die out eventually as the younger women are more likely to oppose (or suffer) it.

Yes, but surely they can still choose not too if they so desire. Same in UK churches, some women wear hats, others don't.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Amazing to think Iran was a modern western country in the 1960s and 1970s.

The world doesn't always move forward.

No it wasn’t.

Just because the current regime is an unpopular, oppressive one, under the control of a  fundamentalist religious clique, it does not mean all was honey and wine before it arose. 

The rule of the shah was not that of a modern western society. It was extremely unpopular in many sectors of Iranian society, hence the 1979 revolution. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rabas said:

The difference is that one chooses to become a nun. In the 19th century men also wore hats and women carried parasols. It was an elite thing about exposer to the sun. A red nose or tan made you look like a common laborer, the shame. It was not a matter of legality. Vietnamese women are also fully covered, but surely not to hide anything.

image.png.508564ac630a049114fc933ae489036d.png    image.png.4b6af8320d5e2dc9647a429d40ba7add.png

Vietnamese women in their perfect bodies and dresses are stunning. There is no doubt about that. 

Let's not forget that many Thai women choose to show their breasts just 100 years ago. There was no objection to this culture, until the purists from Anglo world were feeling offended. 

Those are the same, now conservative people, how are at the same time against women displaying their breasts in public as well as women hiding their hair or faces in the public. 

So is the Anglo cultural way of defining how and what a woman should show of their bodies, the only way to go?

Or are other forms of cultures allowed in this world?

Forget 19th century and all the rest.

The woman should seek asylum and I am sure that quite a few countries would grant her that status immediately. The fidel mullahs in the sand dunes of the Middle East are known for having moved back centuries in a generation and she will be ransacked in many ways. 

As long as it remains politically incorrect to address such issues we need to provide shelter and a safety net for such people. Regretfully Europe has been purposely flooded by asylum chancers by people who are simply not integratable in the Western world yet would have nothing to (politically) fear back in their home country. Hence they just come for plundering the social welfare chests of Europe.

Unlike these, there are countless political refugees seeking shelter without a huge list of demands like halal food, mosques with minarets all over the place and the juristic system to be changed to their sharia law which, by all accounts, is proof enough of not being human. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, oby said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/iran-before-the-revolution-in-photos-2015-4#although-reza-shahs-intentions-were-to-turn-iran-into-a-modern-westernized-state-his-bans-on-religious-garments-alienated-and-frustrated-religious-conservatives-and-traditionalists-11

canada has welcomed many iranians since the islamic revolution 1979.  reference the purposed missile strike on a ukranian passenger plane recently killing all on board... the ukraine plane was one of many landing and taking off from a shared military and public airport. immediately prior to its demise and the halt to iranian missile bombing of US military targets in iraq that evening. 6 commercial flights had departed.. the ukraine plane was targeted because of unknown passengers on board by the ruling islamic republic(sic).. iran started weeding out in november following riots around the country. snipers taking out known provocateurs and immediate removal of bodies supposedly to hospitals(mass burial pits). 

easy to google, but not reported by MSM.

it is one thing to wear what you like, but another for your government to tell you what to wear with penalty of prison or death.

obama only made iran stronger , reference their numerous attacks around the world. cowards striking innocent people anywhere.

and this iranian woman judging a chess tournament hundreds/thousands of miles from iran not wearing a government mandated style of dress is not allowed.

i do not look forward to the world domination of islam and the millions and possible billions of deaths attributed to the religion of peace.

the many brave iranian people are being murdered daily for only thinking of freedom and protesting the evil regime you praise.

vive la resistance

Mixing facts and opinion is deceiving.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, oby said:

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

No it wasn’t.

Just because the current regime is an unpopular, oppressive one, under the control of a  fundamentalist religious clique, it does not mean all was honey and wine before it arose. 

The rule of the shah was not that of a modern western society. It was extremely unpopular in many sectors of Iranian society, hence the 1979 revolution. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/iran-before-the-revolution-in-photos-2015-4#although-reza-shahs-intentions-were-to-turn-iran-into-a-modern-westernized-state-his-bans-on-religious-garments-alienated-and-frustrated-religious-conservatives-and-traditionalists-11

"the shahs intentions were to turn iran into a modern westernized state alienated and frustrated religious conservatives and traditionalists"

look at the pictures of iran under the shah and compare to the iran of today.. google images of iran before the 1979 revolution.

older iranians i have known  reminince (is a dreamy way of saying "remember the past.)  long for freedoms they were afforded by the westernization of iran.

persians are a proud people quite unlike the savages of the islamic revolution.

vive la resistance

You haven’t answered my question. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2