BANGKOK
rooster59

Iranian chess ref accused of flouting dress code says she won't return home

A troll post and a reply have been removed

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

My aunt was a Catholic nun - her (pre-Vatican 2) outfit was not dissimilar to the way many Moslem women dress in the Middle East. I learnt recently that in 19th Century England it was considered indecent for a woman to appear in public without some form of head covering, even if on the way to or from work in a factory. Those who carry on about how women should/shouldn't dress in other cultures are generally ignorant of the wider world or any sense of their own, let alone others' history.  Until the last 200 years many peasant women in SE Asia do not cover their breasts, something some of our members would probably have welcomed - https://mythailand.blog/2017/02/24/thailand-topless-women/

Equating hijab or burqa with the pre-Vatican II habit is spot on.  In most depictions you do not see the Virgin Mary's hair.

When I was a kid the Catholic ladies would cover their heads when they went into a church, my mother, aunts etc would have kerchiefs in a pocket somewhere and worst case a handkerchief atop the head with a bobby pin.

But the whole concept in the modernizing Muslim world is falling apart.  E.g. in Malaysia you'll see women in hijabs who are wearing distractingly tight clothes and makeup.  No complaints from me 🙂 but if the whole idea is modesty ummm...

• Like 1

An off topic troll post linked to the BBC and trying to hijack the topic has been removed:

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

5 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

My aunt was a Catholic nun - her (pre-Vatican 2) outfit was not dissimilar to the way many Moslem women dress in the Middle East. I learnt recently that in 19th Century England it was considered indecent for a woman to appear in public without some form of head covering, even if on the way to or from work in a factory. Those who carry on about how women should/shouldn't dress in other cultures are generally ignorant of the wider world or any sense of their own, let alone others' history.  Until the last 200 years many peasant women in SE Asia do not cover their breasts, something some of our members would probably have welcomed

https://mythailand.blog/2017/02/24/thailand-topless-women/

Only one tiny miny difference: THOSE women did this volontarity and were NOT punished when they did not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

Equating hijab or burqa with the pre-Vatican II habit is spot on.  In most depictions you do not see the Virgin Mary's hair.

When I was a kid the Catholic ladies would cover their heads when they went into a church, my mother, aunts etc would have kerchiefs in a pocket somewhere and worst case a handkerchief atop the head with a bobby pin.

But the whole concept in the modernizing Muslim world is falling apart.  E.g. in Malaysia you'll see women in hijabs who are wearing distractingly tight clothes and makeup.  No complaints from me 🙂 but if the whole idea is modesty ummm...

In the Eastern Orthodox churches women are still required to wear some sort of covering on their head. Very often in photos & videos of rural life in Eastern European countries, older women will be wearing a scarf around their head.

That is not to excuse countries like Iran in forcing their women to wear a scarf while they're overseas. Social media will be the catalyst for this to die out eventually as the younger women are more likely to oppose (or suffer) it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, khunken said:

in the Eastern Orthodox churches women are still required to wear some sort of covering on their head

That's not true.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

That's not true.  

Yes it is. But to clarify my post should have included 'while worshipping'.

.......it continues to be the normal practice in other parts of the world, such as Russia, Ukraine, Ethiopia, India, Pakistan, and South Korea.[6] The style of the Christian head covering and Christian hair covering varies by region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_head_covering

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1