Iranian chess ref accused of flouting dress code says she won't return home

rooster59

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

It takes a big man to say , fair enough , I was mistaken.:clap2:

Especially whilst living in a time when the trend is to double-down and make an ever bigger fool of yourself as a defense.

Going back to my comments about Catholic ladies in the US in the 1950s I'm pretty sure a woman would not be told to cover her head or leave, probably the worst would be a nun scowled at her.  I was in a Catholic grade school for a few years and can't recall if the girls had to wear something on their heads.

I was passing through Iran in 1975.  In those days most of the women wore a chador (sp?), which was a big, black cloth they threw over themselves and folded so that all you could see of them was one eye.  From the window of a bus passing through a small town I saw a couple with a baby; the woman passed the kid to the man, and for a moment she adjusted the chador by letting the wind catch it and then re-closing it.  In that moment I saw she was wearing a miniskirt.  Blew my mind!

cb.jpg.7bd2f2edf41bfd8614e13bad9648cea0.jpg

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

No it wasn’t.

Just because the current regime is an unpopular, oppressive one, under the control of a  fundamentalist religious clique, it does not mean all was honey and wine before it arose. 

The rule of the shah was not that of a modern western society. It was extremely unpopular in many sectors of Iranian society, hence the 1979 revolution. 

Clearly you've never heard of Mossadeq (or the CIA for that matter).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Mosaddegh

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Amazing to think Iran was a modern western country in the 1960s and 1970s.

The world doesn't always move forward.

Try this "SAVAK" in Google and see what comes up. (Sorry to pile on I hadn't read the posts that followed.)

The door will be open in Canada for her. As it was for the young Saudi lady and will be for Harry & fam. 

Edited by pegman
  • Like 2

Wish her well. Welcome to the 21st century. 

Only ugly women should cover up!!

Religion is just a burden on moving forward and i dont understand how anyone can still follow such rubbish. Everyones got access to so much information and history that should make them realize they are just stupid.

Thats my 2cents for today...

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 5:41 AM, Bluespunk said:

No it wasn’t.

Just because the current regime is an unpopular, oppressive one, under the control of a  fundamentalist religious clique, it does not mean all was honey and wine before it arose. 

The rule of the shah was not that of a modern western society. It was extremely unpopular in many sectors of Iranian society, hence the 1979 revolution. 

Yes.  When the Shah fell most of the people I knew thought it was a Good Thing, what with the stories of SAVAK and tales from the road of the police being rough with the travelers doing the overland route from Europe to India (the term backpacker wasn't used yet).  Within a few months after the revolution brought a change in sentiment.  The new leaders were making time go backwards.  It was then I understood what conservatism is really about.

During the occupation of the US embassy in Tehran they found instructional movies of torture techniques that the CIA made in Chile, or so it was reported.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 4:53 PM, rooster59 said:

An Iranian chess referee who has been accused of violating her country's Islamic dress code

I really wish media would stop referring to "Islamic" dress as there is no such thing. It's cultural, that's all.

In the case of Iran, IMO it's because a group of, IMO, very bad men want to keep women "in their place".

It's a wonder they didn't impose the burka on them, but probably realised that was a step too far.

Whatever sins the Shah committed, he was liberating women from the tyranny of bad men.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1