Will my English daughter need visa to visit Thailand ?

On of my daughters from England will visit Thailand again at the end of February for 10 days.    Her last visit was 4 years ago.

Will she need a visa ?    If so she can get before she arrives as easier than filling forms on arrival.

Will she need health insurance ?   Not sure if included in her cheap deal.

• Haha 1

OP, an added note...at passport control there is a section with imm officers processing "visa on arrival" folk.

Adjacent are the numerous lines for others. That is where she will line up. Also lines for Asean passport holders. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Assuming she is on a UK passport she can get 30 days Visa exempt on arrival (no forms to fill out). Easy peasy.

It is not required by immigration, but no one should come here uninsured. Have her take out a travel policy that includes emergency medical care and repatriation. If she will be riding motorcycles here (inc motot taxis) make sure the policy covers that (to be covered driving a motorcycle she will need appropriate license. (Really not recommended, even experienced motorcyclists get into trouble driving here).

For a stay of just 10 days cost of travel insurance will be minimal.

Many thanks Sheryl, I will remind her about medical insurance.

13 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Many thanks for your prompt response.

Maybe your daughter knows already but on TM6 arrival slip just put your address and I was told nowadays to be the safe side of immigration do a TM30 at your local immigration office.

In my experience when I was just coming for a short holiday. A couple times I didn’t write anything about where I was staying purely for be lazy. I’d have to open iPad dig out reading glasses and fill in..... 

Those couple of times I was told fill in address so being lazy then cause me more time at the IO window... I did step to the side not

to hold up others in line. 

IMO it’s better to write something....  Now I’m Non-O and write the address. 

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, an added note...at passport control there is a section with imm officers processing "visa on arrival" folk.

Adjacent are the numerous lines for others. That is where she will line up. Also lines for Asean passport holders. 

Why would someone not needing a VOA do that?  She goes to the normal Immigration lines.

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why would someone not needing a VOA do that?  She goes to the normal Immigration lines.

Read it carefully. I said "Adjacent to that is the numerous lines for others. That is where she will line up". Granted could have been better worded.

Im in/out Thailand every other week and often need point out to few people who have gone to incorrect area (visa on arrival lines) 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe your daughter knows already but on TM6 arrival slip just put your address and I was told nowadays to be the safe side of immigration do a TM30 at your local immigration office.

Thanks for the reminder.

My daughter will be staying in a hotel in Bangkok, I will travel from where I live to meet her there.

If she travels elsewhere then whatever hotel she stays in will register her stay.
I have lived here many years and am aware of the TM30...

Edited by Speedo1968
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
20 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Read it carefully. I said "Adjacent to that is the numerous lines for others. That is where she will line up". Granted could have been better worded.

Im in/out Thailand every other week and often need point out to few people who have gone to incorrect area (visa on arrival lines) 

"Read it carefully...Granted could have been better worded".

So, what you mean is that if I "read it carefully", which I did, that wouldn't have helped!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks for the reminder.

My daughter will be staying in a hotel in Bangkok, I will travel from where I live to meet her there.

If she travels elsewhere then whatever hotel she stays in will register her stay.

In your and your daughter's circumstances I would have thought that you did not need to ask the original questions.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 12:32 PM, Sheryl said:

Assuming she is on a UK passport she can get 30 days Visa exempt on arrival (no forms to fill out). Easy peasy.

It is not required by immigration, but no one should come here uninsured. Have her take out a travel policy that includes emergency medical care and repatriation. If she will be riding motorcycles here (inc motot taxis) make sure the policy covers that (to be covered driving a motorcycle she will need appropriate license. (Really not recommended, even experienced motorcyclists get into trouble driving here).

For a stay of just 10 days cost of travel insurance will be minimal.

Riding a big bike daily shows you how insane these people really are.

OP, tell your daughter not to use a motorbike, it's way too dangerous here.

And the right travel insurance is a must. Of course with all coverage. 

5 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

In your and your daughter's circumstances I would have thought that you did not need to ask the original questions.

I asked as I wanted to be sure that there have been no changes since her last visit.

I am here on retirement visa and have not traveled out of country for some time.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:17 PM, Kwasaki said:

but she's only in country for 10 days

For a 30 day stay or less no visa required and insurance is only for oa I believe not sure about tourists assuming it’s an SETV. I saw this and replied because my 27 year old daughter actually just flew back to Scotland yesterday I’m new to Thai visa. Good luck mate. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2020 at 9:51 AM, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks for the reminder.

I have live here many years too and my wife I have never done TM30.

It's a recent thing to me only knowing only from TV, my wife doesn't know about it like many Thais, those that do can't be bothered is my guess because when we stay anywhere they just want wife's ID card or just take dosh and do nothing, no receipt either.

Maybe that's why Thai immigration has put the owness on tourist and thaT's not a good thing IMHO. 

18 hours ago, RoiEtDale said:

For a 30 day stay or less no visa required and insurance is only for oa I believe not sure about tourists assuming it’s an SETV. I saw this and replied because my 27 year old daughter actually just flew back to Scotland yesterday I’m new to Thai visa. Good luck mate. 

My daughter has visited before with no problems, just wanted to check, guess the only issue will be the exchange rate compared to her last visit when it was around 50 baht, when I came it was 72/4 or more.

My children are used to facing issues when flying in to the UK as both were born outside and are classed as 2nd class citizens; their mother 3rd class as she was born in a UK colony, me 1st class as born in UK. 

On 1/20/2020 at 7:06 PM, Speedo1968 said:

My daughter has visited before with no problems, just wanted to check, guess the only issue will be the exchange rate compared to her last visit when it was around 50 baht, when I came it was 72/4 or more.

My children are used to facing issues when flying in to the UK as both were born outside and are classed as 2nd class citizens; their mother 3rd class as she was born in a UK colony, me 1st class as born in UK. 

When my daughter visited from the UK I did buy her a travellers insurance policy, it’s not required I don’t think but still better to be prepared especially if she’ll be staying a little while. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tybuchanan said:

You must get travel insurance. As an afterthought my son told me to get insurance. I did. After two days in Thailand i fell unconscious in my hotel room. Spent 10 days in a Thai hospital. The insurance paid out 90% of the cost.

You absolutely must have insurance here! but I think the issue is some people think it’s required for all of us retirees living in Thailand and tourists and lots of visa types when in reality the insurance requirement really only applies to maybe a handful of people. Still I wouldn’t want to live here without insurance. They need to have more insurance options for expats reasonably priced there’s money to be made in it why not? Well, we all know how that goes with insurance companies. The two things in life I despise most are both necessary evils lawyers and insurance companies lol, it’s funny but unfortunately true. 

20 hours ago, tybuchanan said:

You must get travel insurance. As an afterthought my son told me to get insurance. I did. After two days in Thailand i fell unconscious in my hotel room. Spent 10 days in a Thai hospital. The insurance paid out 90% of the cost.

Are you ok now? Glad you got the policy before it was too late. Take care. 

Travelling to any foreign country without travel insurance is farcical and the height of stupidity, especailly right now with new virus running rampant to close. You may very wealthy and able to pay any expenses incurred for good care and retrieval to UK.

Edited by RJRS1301