VIDEO: Farang’s aren’t all good! Elderly foreigner caught brazenly stealing mobile phone in Pattaya

rooster59

Let us be honest here...when I arrived in London in 1991, the first attempt at stealing my South African army rucksack was about 30 seconds after the train took off, two big guys brazenly walked over casually and tried to 'confiscate' my bag lols...that situation was repeated plenty times...maybe 91 and 92 were bad years in London but crime was prevalent...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

There is another thread running on this. In the facebook comments it says the farang has brung it back at last. 

Returning it might be considered mitigation (penalty), but no defense to stealing. 

And I agree, no nation (or 'farang' group) of people are all good, nor all bad. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Please don’t try to defend the indefensible. 

I didn't, but if I was on the Jury at the Old Bailey and this clip was all that I had to go on it wouldn't be enough for me to tell the bloke in the father Christmas suit to reach for his black 'at! ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:
53 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Matey could quite easily have thought it was his own phone, or at least that's how it looks after such a short clip. A few more seconds for'ard & aft might have removed any doubt...

Absolutely not! Anyone can tell from his actions that he tried to hide the phone from the girl when she went to give him back his change and when he subsequently pocketed it. 
Please don’t try to defend the indefensible.

Unfortunately and all too often some people will choose to differ.

You see it as black, they say it's white, its raining , they see the sun shining, the weather is cold they will say its hot. 

The headline even reads Foreigner caught stealing mobile phone.

The lady whose phone was stolen posted this video on Facebook.

It's hard to understand why people cant see the truth.

1 hour ago, Chassa said:

Wish somebody would steal my ladies phone!!!

Your ladies phone ???? - meaning they share one phone you lucky btrd ... :coffee1:

• Haha 2

I'm happy to condemn the fellow if guilty ... but having looked at the video a few times ... I can't see anything in the video itself that shows this is a theft.

Apart from a Facebook post claiming that this is a theft, is there evidence that the phone isn't simply his ?

Why would a staffmember leave their phone (and only their phone) in the middle of a chair obviously designed for customers to sit on?

The phone isn't actually hidden in his hand as the staffmember hands over the change.

He does appear to give a "furtive glance" to his left as he picks up the phone, but he could just as easily be picking up his phone protectively as the guy with tatoos and a motorbike helmet walks in.

Innocent until proven guilty I say.

Look at the video again, without assuming there is a theft (and try to imagine the blurring isn't there .. which unconsciously makes us suspicious of him).

All I see in the video is a guy picking up a phone. What's the evidence for the claim that it's not his?

Edited by mattig1972
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Shameful, it really is. The overwhelming majority of us are trying our best to be good neighbours and get on with the locals and people like this destroy so much of the hard yards we put in. And the fella must be a complete idiot as well as a rotten thief, as pretty much everywhere has CCTV these days, so he was never going to get away with it.

Both shameful and sad - especially for the main character . The cause behind this act can be complicated and complex or simple and misunderstood, containing everything from Alzheimer's, dementia to kleptomania or minor psychological causes -  which can happen to the best of us regardless of nationality, religion and complexion .... :wai:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I do have a problem with thieves and people committing other crimes that make us all look bad. 

I have concerns about thieves and people associating them with me based on skin color. I, like most Thais I expect, cannot fathom how someone can pin one persons action be it bad or explained otherwise on the rest of us by making "us all look bad".

• Like 2

Look, more for advice and hopefully it doesn't happen to you...

An older friend shopped Big C Pattaya and when he had finished his shopping and paid, Security pulled him.

Said that he had a 90 baht package of batteries that he hadn't paid for. 

(They were in the bag, but not on the receipt).

They took him to the back room interrogated him and called the police. 

I know that he takes medication and can be a bit dithering, but.

I'm not casting stones.

He was arrested. 

He had a night in the monkey house. 

Next day pattaya courts in chains.

2500 baht fine.

2 year behavior bond.

But it doesn't stop there.

Police said they were obliged to contact immigration. 

Retained his passport. 

(He was booked to go to the UK for Christmas the next day).

The police exercised their humanity side and offered him a deal to get around it.

50,000 baht and the passport was given to him as he left the court..

It's not 3 wais and 500 baht fine. Not for farang. 

It's the get out of jail money as well..

Cancellation of visa etc.

If you do the crime, you will do the time too.

And possibly pay a significant amount for the Police retirement funds.

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Have you ever left yours at home or in the car?

Yes it can take a while until you discover as Farang that it is not your phone especially if it is switched to Thai language and strange people call you suddenly :-)

Ho please ok he stole the phone 

And no one else in Thailand steals please

Ok caught red handed stealing fine slap on wrist

if was anyone else here it would be oh I made a mistake and too phone  thinking was mine  

right only foreigner devils steal 

Related story from last year 

Young Foreigner in Seven 11 puts phone done Thai national takes phone 

all on CTV Thai national refused to give phone back unless was paid for her trouble 

different in anyway I THINK NOT 

Edited by rossco1
not finished
  • Sad 1