Visa Exemption in Don Mueang after a long stay as Tourist

Im from Europe, mid 30, and have been staying in Thailand for 11 months now on 3 Exempts and 2 SETV Visas, all entries extended. This is my first stay in Thailand, i don’t have any previous history. I am planning to get a proper Visa in my home country later this year. But i will not return there until the end of March. So i need two more months since my current exemption will end soon.

Next week i will be in Taiwan for a week and i have a return flight to Don Mueang.
I read a lot of stories about tourists with a long stay in LOS that get denied entry there. I know the decision is completely up to the immigration officer and nobody can really tell how it will turn out for me. But i guess its very likely that i will run into problems. I will of course provide proof of funds (20k+), accommodation and a flight out of Thailand.

I still have a few questions regarding this topic:

- If i would book an international flight from Don Mueang to another country on the same day of my arrival do i need to go through Thai immigration or can i just wait for my next flight inside the airport?

- The airline that brought me to LOS is responsible to take me back to Taiwan if my entry/exempt is denied, right? And if Taiwan would then deny my entry (they require a return flight which i might not have on arrival) i would be send back to Thailand and from there to my home country?

-  Whats your personal opinion, should i cancel the flight and fly to Malaysia instead, entering by land border, or just try the exempt at Don Mueang first?

Best regards

You asked for opinions and that's all that can be given. There are no "set rules.

IMO you most likely will be denied entry at Don Mueang. The airline will fly you to where you embarked. Most likely at your expense. 

I would fly somewhere like KL and enter via border. Depending on where your staying in Thailand you might choose to fly KL to Vientiane (cheap flights) and enter via friendship bridge. You get 2 entries via border per calendar yr so you must have both available.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

OP, couple of added comments. Regarding booking another international flight that won't work you will clear immigration with first ticket. 

As for being returned to where you embarked and refused entry there, next step would be your home country. Some folk will tell you at airline expense. Good luck with that. 

I'm not being negative, fact is basically you have been almost continuous in los for 11 months. You must have used border entries for last 3+ months or perhaps flown into CNX

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the answers. Yes i used both border entries last year and i am well aware that my 11 month stay as tourist is very problematic, especially if i enter by air.
Unfortunately Taiwan doesnt issue tourist visas, but if i go the KL route i might try to apply for one in KL or Penang. Altough from what i read the embassies probably wont issue me another one with my recent history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JA5ON said:

Thanks for the answers. Yes i used both border entries last year and i am well aware that my 11 month stay as tourist is very problematic, especially if i enter by air.
Unfortunately Taiwan doesnt issue tourist visas, but if i go the KL route i might try to apply for one in KL or Penang. Altough from what i read the embassies probably wont issue me another one with my recent history.

I agree. Think many consulates would reject setv. Then you would have a void stamp. IMO enter via border. You could try a flight from say KL into CNX to enter visa exempt. Think you might have chance with that. Risky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JA5ON said:

Unfortunately Taiwan doesnt issue tourist visas, but if i go the KL route i might try to apply for one in KL or Penang. Altough from what i read the embassies probably wont issue me another one

If you can meet KL's published requirements, I think applying there is worth a shot despite your history. Especially if you have (or will have) the ticket for your flight back home already - that should help.

Edited by Caldera
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Caldera said:

If you can meet KL's published requirements, I think applying there is worth a shot despite your history. Especially if you have (or will have) the ticket for your flight back home already - that should help.

He stated that intends returning home country end of March. The setv, even if approved in KL is not of that much benefit and risk void stamp. He imo can not fly into DM with or without visa 

11 months in los long time in los on tourist visas and visa exempt all extended. 

BTW think ticket out for setv is required in any event. Can't see how that helps.

• Thanks 1

thanks again, i probably will go to Penang via KL and then cross the border there to Hat Yai.
There are some visa agencies in Penang so i plan to visit them and ask for their opinion regarding another SETV.

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He stated that intends returning home country end of March. The setv, even if approved in KL is not of that much benefit and risk void stamp. He imo can not fly into DM with or without visa 

11 months in los long time in los on tourist visas and visa exempt all extended. 

BTW think ticket out for setv is required in any event. Can't see how that helps.

See here's the thing, based on reports I don't think he would get a void stamp in KL even if denied. Personally, I think he would get another SETV there, even considering his history.

If obtaining a SETV is an actual benefit to the OP depends on his plans later this year. If he plans to return to Thailand, not having wasted a land border visa exempt might prove beneficial.

A flight out is indeed one of the requirements. My point was that a flight back home looks better than yet another flight to a nearby country.

I agree that flying into DMK wouldn't be wise, with or without a visa.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

A SETV would save me a trip to the immigration in bangkok for the extension, and from what i read Tourist Visas do "look better" in my passport than exempts.

But i would apply for it in Penang, not in KL. I could use one border run from there. If there is an "trouble free" aiport in the south i might try that.

• Sad 1

There seems to be many long-term stayers on tourist visa who aren't really tourists.

I see everytime they create new accounts so they won't be detected.

Immigration is getting tough on long-term stayers who aren't genuine tourists. Word of advice is to get a long-term visa , the days of border runs are over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I see everytime they create new accounts so they won't be detected.

Detected by whom? And what's the benefit of avoiding that? All that really matters is Thai immigration, and your "account" with them is for life!

• Like 1

I think you have a decent shot at making it through Don Mueang with a ticket back to your home country, sufficient funds, and booked accommodation, although chances are you will be interviewed. 

Yes, there have been plenty of reports of people with your history being refused entry, especially at Don Mueang, but probably just as many, if not a lot more, made it. Travelers, who make it through, rarely post their success on this forum, while the ones who run into trouble air their grievances here, which leads to bleaker picture of your odds. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Yes, there have been plenty of reports of people with your history being refused entry, especially at Don Mueang, but probably just as many, if not a lot more, made it. Travelers, who make it through, rarely post their success on this forum...

yeah, i have read this a few times and i agree. but its hard to tell, especially because there are no set rules and its up to the officer in charge.
going to KL etc. is a big inconvenience but if it saves me a lot of trouble it might be worth it. its not easy to make a decision.

To enter Taiwan i need a flight out, so in case i get sent back i would have to book one as fast as possible - but that should be no problem. My biggest fear is that they would deny me as well for some reason and i have to take/pay a flight back to my home country. Anyone have any experience with Taiwan, would it be a problem to be sent back there the same day i left?

• 3 weeks later...

update to this:

had no problems whatsoever ????. officer looked at my passport/data for 30 seconds, asked for hotel confirmation and stamped me in after i showed him the print out of my reservation.

I entered at DMK at about 4 a.m - it was not too busy. In front of me were 4 young koreans, they were asked to show flights and hotel bookings. they had no print outs so they were asked to login to the public wifi and show it to him on their phones. took almost 30 minutes.

after seeing him beeing so rigorous i thought that i will have a hard time. but he didnt even wanted to see my flight out ;D