? For TV Old Timers Brain Trust

Gonzo the Face

Something that may be of interest to some.  

As many of you who know me , know, I have been in business here in CM for almost 25 years now. Over the years I have seen a lot of coming and goings, especially in local business'.  The city certainly has changed in those years , so much so that when I go out for a look-a-round it almost looks like another city .  My question/request for our highly valued brain trust is ,,, I would like you please to name some of the business people , you know/knew. who were in business here, some years back , and for whatever reason are not here any longer.  Either the business went down or they just wanted to move on to greener pastures.  Sometimes our friends and/or neighbors just fade away and we don't realize it for years.   People like Eddie of The Escape fame.  I think it would be good to hear if they have  gone on to other things and what they may be doing and wherever they may be.  Hope that this is of interest to some and hope to see some interesting things turn up.  Thanks in advance gang. ...  Gonzo

Alan Batey of the Love Birds bar and later the Over lander  ...dead. Max from the original Black Cat, presumably dead. Papa Dick from Dick's bar (Santi tham) dead. Bar owners don't live long, But, the last time I suffered a few nights in Chiengmai, there were two folks alive and well; of course the lady who has aged so gracefully and the owner of the Bier Stubbe. Also the Chinese guy two shops North with the 5 old motorbikes he has rented since I first met him in 1988. He simply survives.

Outside of Chiengmai in Mae Rim was my good friend Mad Mike Mc Loughlin  who ran the Mae Rim swim pool...dead. I wonder how many bar owners successfully....moved on ? If I add up the dead and reflect on time....Chiengmai is where most bar owners go to die.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The couple, Steve and Toy, that ran the Half Moon bar on Moon Muang Soi 2 are separated but apparently still in business, separate bars though. Toy is still on Soi 2 but someone told me that Steve is in Hang Dong. The bar was a real going concern in 2005 and they had a killer pool team in the city league.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trujillo said:

So when you said "...the business people , you know/knew. who were in business here..." that apparently was code talk for those running bars. 

Or is that the only business foreigners can do here? 

I'm sure it isn't, but it's where I did most of my business lol. Anyone else still have their Johns Bar discount card?