Daylight robbery! Two Thais pay nearly 800 baht for a 5 km journey on Bangkok motorcycle taxis

rooster59

Couple of days ago I was asking the fare to Central ladphrao and the guys said " 500Tb" heavy traffic. I was flabbergasted and thought better take the bus 138 as the taxi rank had a very long queue. 10 baht all the way to Ladphrao Hospital, thank you. Then taxi to my soi????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, petermik said:

Silly beggars...always agree on price beforehand.......:thumbsup:

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

After a sharp intake of breath and muttering about the state of the traffic one of the "wins" reluctantly agreed to take them saying it would be about 100 baht.

:thumbsup:

Edited by khunPer

And that is why ride hailing apps likeGrab and Uber are becoming so popular. I’ve had enough of being cheated. Tuk tuks could have had meters years ago, taxis could have been forced to use the meters in places like Pattaya and Phuket, but the cheating and commissions would have been stopped.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 5:51 PM, rooster59 said:

After a sharp intake of breath and muttering about the state of the traffic

And on the rare occasion when I take a bike and the win rider does this to me, I always like to remind them that if the traffic wasn't bad, I wouldn't be using them. Who wants to pay 6 or 7 times more than the bus to sit uncomfortably on the back of a bike when there's no traffic? 

On 1/18/2020 at 5:57 PM, petermik said:

Silly beggars...always agree on price beforehand.......:thumbsup:

They did. They agreed on 'about 100 baht', which seems quite all right for a 10-minute ride. But instead of being fleeced for an amount almost 4x that, and, obviously, a ripp-off, they should have called the cops to sort it out.

In Penang, Malaysia, taxi business is over 90% Grab now. it is the only thing the locals will use and it is less than half the price of a metered taxi. The standard taxi drivers still refuse to use the meter, and now they sit empty on the sides of the road, complaining and whimpering. A Grab driver pointed them out as we traveled down the road. He also pointed to everyone on the road using Grab.  Here is the future of Bangkok if this keeps up.

• Like 1