Quack cancer cure slammed by online doctors

rooster59

Quack cancer cure slammed by online doctors

563000000545301.jpg

Image: Manager

A doctor on Facebook has warned the Thai public - especially the elderly - about a fake cure and procedure for cancer and other disease sufferers.

"Mor Lab Panda" said it was not just quackery but dangerous.

The procedure was relatively simple to cure cancer, allergies, fungal infections and giddiness. 

All you had to do was smear on the ointment over a large proportion of the body. 

Then get a #10 needle - one used for sewing would do the trick - and embed it in the skin where needed. 

Then tweezers could be used that would "draw out" the cancer and other diseases.

Bingo - you're cured!

Source: Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-18
  • Haha 2

Well, to be fair, the doctors are right to castigate the supposed cure whether or nt they should be taken seriously in medical matters. Problems too often coming with a dim and uneducated public are gullibility and its associated exploitaion. Thais are familiar with both but sadly, someone with a silver tongue and a medical-looking label will usually generate some sly revenue for themselves, and if they pay their dues in the appropriate brown envelope, they are often unmolested in their fraudulent behaviour. Such is the nature of Thailand, the best country in the world.

Thailand is the wild, wild East, and problems in the land of smiles neither lie with foreigners, nor are caused by them, rather the usual Thai proclivity for dishonesty and thieving.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bangkokfrog said:

How about a face to face consultation with a real doctor?

Good idea if you have the money, if not & a lot don't here its worth trying any sort of quackery that gives them some hope!

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Education Education Education , 

What would that achieve? the masses that cannot afford medical treatment would realise the injustice that they cannot afford to be treated and it is not acceptable to be sent home to die as they are now?

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

All you had to do was smear on the ointment over a large proportion of the body. 

Then get a #10 needle - one used for sewing would do the trick - and embed it in the skin where needed. 

Then tweezers could be used that would "draw out" the cancer and other diseases.

Thailand becoming the hum of medicine???

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, CGW said:

the masses that cannot afford medical treatment would realise the injustice that they cannot afford to be treated and it is not acceptable to be sent home to die as they are now?

Who would that be? All Thais are covered, either by work-related schemes, or by Universal Coverage.  They might have to wait a while to be seen, but they don't have to pay.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Who would that be? All Thais are covered, either by work-related schemes, or by Universal Coverage.  They might have to wait a while to be seen, but they don't have to pay.

Yes, I read that also! unfortunately the average government hospital has very low budgets and does not have the resources to treat people as we would imagine. They receive minimum care and are sent home as they need the beds as was bought home to me this year when three of my wife's relatives were treated this way!

35 minutes ago, CGW said:

Yes, I read that also! unfortunately the average government hospital has very low budgets and does not have the resources to treat people as we would imagine. They receive minimum care and are sent home as they need the beds as was bought home to me this year when three of my wife's relatives were treated this way!

Which sort of flies in tha face of a post last week that says Thai health care is great and world-leading because he had good care once at Bumrungrad.

The majority of Thais have the same quality of service from the government hospitals as they get from government anything - distressingly poor. That is not, I stress, to criticise the medical staff. Well I have direct experience of a few doctors and nurses giving third-rate service at government hospitals in Thailand, I also have direct experience of very high-quality service in the most unlikely of places.

A bit like the curate's egg, really.

15 hours ago, CGW said:

Good idea if you have the money, if not & a lot don't here its worth trying any sort of quackery that gives them some hope!

By following this argument, perhaps you might recommend the widespread use of placebos for all kinds of illness. Revolutionary, I will grant, but not very likely to succeed. Ultimately the result that flows from getting rid of quack medicine is that if somebody is to die because they cannot source high-quality medicine, then that as well as the causes of that will be much more visible. This is bound to have a better long-term impact on healthcare, and then deliberately supplying ineffective or fraudulent cures just because the unfortunate recipient is poor.  

I don't know, nor do I care to know, how long you have lived in Thailand, I merely make the point that, perhaps, your medical principles have become infected by 'Thai-ness'. Hopefully I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Yes, I read that also! unfortunately the average government hospital has very low budgets and does not have the resources to treat people as we would imagine. They receive minimum care and are sent home as they need the beds

Yes, the budget is not great, however the World Health Organisation has a very different view on healthcare in Thailand.

"Thailand’s policy on universal health coverage (UHC) has made good progress since its inception in 2002. Every Thai citizen is now entitled to essential health services at all life stages. The benefits of the policy comprise essential services in preventive, curative and palliative care for all age groups. Extension of coverage to high-cost services, such as renal replacement therapy, cancer therapy and stem-cell transplants, has improved financial protection for patients. Well coordinated district health systems enable individuals to seek care or referral at health units close to home. The resultant increase in service utilization has contributed to a low prevalence of unmet needs for outpatient and inpatient services."

https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/97/6/18-223693/en/

Not even sure that the health budgets of developed countries extend to stem cell transplants.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Well, to be fair, the doctors are right to castigate the supposed cure whether or nt they should be taken seriously in medical matters. Problems too often coming with a dim and uneducated public are gullibility and its associated exploitaion. Thais are familiar with both but sadly, someone with a silver tongue and a medical-looking label will usually generate some sly revenue for themselves, and if they pay their dues in the appropriate brown envelope, they are often unmolested in their fraudulent behaviour. Such is the nature of Thailand, the best country in the world.

Thailand is the wild, wild East, and problems in the land of smiles neither lie with foreigners, nor are caused by them, rather the usual Thai proclivity for dishonesty and thieving.

Not just in Thailand! There are legions of gullible, mostly 'Alternative', people all over the World who believe in quackery very similar to this. Just seach for 'psychic surgery'...e.g: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2727362/Psychic-surgeons-They-claim-channel-spirits-shrink-cancers-end-chronic-pain-without-picking-scalper-But-just-preying-desperate.html

56 minutes ago, Oxx said:

however the World Health Organisation has a very different view on healthcare in Thailand.

Great, should I forget the reality that I have witnessed and stick with their "view"?

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

He's not a "Facebook Doctor", he's a doctor publishing the warning on Facebook so that it is known about!

Point taken JW. But as a cancer sufferer myself I get frustrated with how many people I talk to think that Dr Google is just as good as seeing a real doctor. Most doctors in Thailand (even those in regional hospitals) are quite capable of identifying basic forms of cancer and recommending treatment / referrals.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CGW said:

What would that achieve? the masses that cannot afford medical treatment would realise the injustice that they cannot afford to be treated and it is not acceptable to be sent home to die as they are now?

Yes I found that aspect of the Thai hospital treatment quite alarming, this when my ex-girlfriend's mother had mouth cancer and they started treating her with some tablets and injections of some description, and sending her home, and when that didn't work, they tried some laser treatment and that didn't work, so for the last 18 months of her life she would go to the hospital to see a doctor who would give her painkillers and whatever and send her home.......basically to die, which she duly did, but not before I was persuaded to take her to some sort of faith healer/witchdoctor in the jungle about 1 1/2 hours out of Phitsanulok and sit around whilst things were chanted and herbs were crushed and drunk and the girlfriend seemed to be happy about this.

Of course a few hundred baht had to be put in an envelope and given to the healer.

Not long after that my Thai girlfriend's brother visited the hospital here with a lump in his throat as he was having trouble swallowing, so after a quick examination they gave him iodine tablets. He went back about a month later and the lump had gotten bigger, so they increased the dose of iodine tablets! This happened a couple more times.

When I caught up with him I noticed that the lump in his throat was about the size of a tennis ball and he had lost an alarming amount of weight, so I quizzed my girlfriend about that and she said that the doctor wanted to increase the dose of the tablets and I asked what was actually wrong with him, and she said the doctors told him he had a lump in his throat – – yeah right.

I asked her what he was going to do if he kept getting thinner and thinner until he died and she said well that's what happens here.

I wasn't about to let that happen to him so I took him to Bangkok Phuket hospital and paid for all the necessary examinations and biopsies and it turned out that he had a non-malignant tumour in his throat, which was only going to get bigger and would eventually kill him if nothing was done.

My girlfriend was not hopeful because their family had no money, so I paid for the operation to get the tumour removed because I could not stand by and watch this poor guy die because of lack of money.

That was about eight years ago and he is fine now and I am so pleased that I was able to help, because the medical profession here if you don't have money or contacts can be alarmingly pathetic.

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yes I found that aspect of the Thai hospital treatment quite alarming, this when my ex-girlfriend's mother had mouth cancer and they started treating her with some tablets and injections of some description, and sending her home, and when that didn't work, they tried some laser treatment and that didn't work, so for the last 18 months of her life she would go to the hospital to see a doctor who would give her painkillers and whatever and send her home.......basically to die, which she duly did, but not before I was persuaded to take her to some sort of faith healer/witchdoctor in the jungle about 1 1/2 hours out of Phitsanulok and sit around whilst things were chanted and herbs were crushed and drunk and the girlfriend seemed to be happy about this.

Of course a few hundred baht had to be put in an envelope and given to the healer.

Not long after that my Thai girlfriend's brother visited the hospital here with a lump in his throat as he was having trouble swallowing, so after a quick examination they gave him iodine tablets. He went back about a month later and the lump had gotten bigger, so they increased the dose of iodine tablets! This happened a couple more times.

When I caught up with him I noticed that the lump in his throat was about the size of a tennis ball and he had lost an alarming amount of weight, so I quizzed my girlfriend about that and she said that the doctor wanted to increase the dose of the tablets and I asked what was actually wrong with him, and she said the doctors told him he had a lump in his throat – – yeah right.

I asked her what he was going to do if he kept getting thinner and thinner until he died and she said well that's what happens here.

I wasn't about to let that happen to him so I took him to Bangkok Phuket hospital and paid for all the necessary examinations and biopsies and it turned out that he had a non-malignant tumour in his throat, which was only going to get bigger and would eventually kill him if nothing was done.

My girlfriend was not hopeful because their family had no money, so I paid for the operation to get the tumour removed because I could not stand by and watch this poor guy die because of lack of money.

That was about eight years ago and he is fine now and I am so pleased that I was able to help, because the medical profession here if you don't have money or contacts can be alarmingly pathetic.

Welcome to Thailand...