Phuket expat dies after being hit by ATV in the jungle

rooster59

18 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

They brought an xray machine and a radiologist out to the scene, i take it?

To diagnose a broken arm and a broken collarbone, radiography is not necessarily required. Everyone who is reasonably educated can recognize that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The woman was laying on the ground with her right arm and collarbone broken.

Edited 18 hours ago by RotBenz8888

a broken collar bone aka clavicle can often be seen with the naked eye as clearly broken and many an emt, nurse, etc that has seen them will know

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The woman was laying on the ground with her right arm and collarbone broken.

Probably not but there was a nurse there and some fractures are very easy to recognise.

2 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Well, and there's always the bad grammar. To cherry-pick one, it's "lying" on the ground, not "laying," no matter how many people get it wrong. I know grammar Nazis are not appreciated here, but news stories are subject to news-writing basics.

Thaivisa didn't write the article, The Phuket News did, as you can see from their very obvious logo and link!  Maybe you should post your complaint to their site!

"...news stories are subject to news-writing basics".

Posters here are subject to forum-understanding basics.

Edited by Just Weird

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

That is completely different to the story in the BKK Post this morning.

The Bangkok Post hasn't reported this accident online since it's original report on the 17th so it's not the only media source that had a completely different report initially!

Just because you read it in the BP 'this morning' doesn't mean that was when it was published there.

Edited by Just Weird

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

I am going to take a guess here.  The tour operators guide was driving too fast.  The American women was doing her best to keep up to the group.  She ended up going too fast for her skill level.  The tour guide is responsible for setting the right pace for the skills level of the group.  I guess the motivation to get back for his bowl of noodles drove the guide to behave this way.

Yes, keep guessing to blame another.

1 hour ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.... ATV, motorcycles, parasails, jet boats, surf beaches, highways, tall buildings, ..... the list is endless. TIT

And the Tourist Insurance will probably not include these Activities in the Policy of cover.

ATV / UTV Vehicles are notoriously dangerous in the wrong hands.

Anybody hiring one of these ATV / UTV / Buggy things is utterly stupid.

I see  it every day where a Tourist thinks He / She is Bomb proof while on Holiday,and its only when an accident such as this happens that they realise they are not.

RIP The French Gentleman

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Anybody hiring one of these ATV / UTV / Buggy things is utterly stupid.

Or ... they're not scared of their own shadows and are out to enjoy life to its max as we all know it is but fleeting. More fleeting for some granted.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

She was the rider so ultimately she caused the accident and therefore is guilty.. the operator may face consequences if not licenced or insured etc.

I wouldn't be so sure,i know this is Thailand but it is usual to sign a disclaimer when taking part in these kinds of tours,of course i have no information this company does this,but it is considered a dangerous activity which both parties should have been slightly aware of.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

She was the rider so ultimately she caused the accident and therefore is guilty.. the operator may face consequences if not licenced or insured etc.

Not with these ATV's. The riders are accompanied from start to finish, putting the blame square on the operator.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

Tourists think they can just jump on an ATV and off they go into the bush, up and down hills and mounds.

They are not toys and can topple in an instant if your going too fast or on a steep incline. They can roll over on top of you.

These folks don't realize how dangerous they can be unless care is taken. 

I've seen countless tourists renting big bikes in Pattaya where you could see that they never sat on a big bike.

And I've seen a few of them crashing them. It's very easy, if you've never ridden such a vehicle leave your hands off it!  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Isn't that a bit like laying the blame for killing someone on the roads at the feet of the bike and car hire company ? YOU hire it, YOU are responsible for it.

Allow me to disagree, of course, I'll tell you why, these are groups, three-quarters of the participants have no idea of the path to follow and the Thai group leader drives at the head of the group to indicate the road to follow and in many cases, he drives much too fast for some participants who follow with difficulty and therefore put themselves in danger, the Thais often young men compete with young farangs and so continue at full speed to show everyone that they are the best, and too bad for those who have trouble following, the proof in today's history. Why I say that I have seen it many times in Koh Samui.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Quads or ATV do not exist in Thai law; they cannot be registered and therefore cannot be insured either.

In Thailand they can be licenced as "disability vehicles". Seen a couple zooming round Pattaya.

Edited by DannyCarlton

On 1/18/2020 at 7:24 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

No , after being transported to the hospital , and the above mentioned machine and doctor ascertained that she had a broken collar bone etc , the radiologist assumed that it must have happened as a result of the accident , ( not in the ambulance ) . The above description of what happened as a result of an accident is quite common .

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you can't ride, don't hire so you can't kill anyone. This is not the USA where you can get millions from McDonalds because you put their hot coffee between your legs and get burned just because they didn't warn you before or sue the maker of a microwave that they didn't warn you that you can't put your cat in there when wet. People are responsible for their own stupidity.

That would affect 90 % of all drivers on Thailand's roads.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

I broke my leg once, and didn't need an x-ray to know that my leg was broken. The bone sticking out through my skin gave me a pretty good idea that it was broken.

If I may ask - did it hurt or did adrenaline suppress the pain?

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

If I may ask - did it hurt or did adrenaline suppress the pain?

Yeah it hurt, but not no worse than the skin that was completely scrapped off my arm and leg. It happened during a downhill skateboarding accident going about 50 km. an hour. I hit something on the road and flew about 15 meters in the air, I landed on my leg and the impact snapped my leg in half.

15 hours ago, stevenl said:

Not with these ATV's. The riders are accompanied from start to finish, putting the blame square on the operator.

A French national has died after an American woman on an ATV tour lost control of her vehicle and hit the man.... 

accompanied or not she was in control, or in this case NOT !

On 1/18/2020 at 7:24 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Hmm. Some breaks are pretty obvious even if you're not a doctor. You are making assumptions yourself. 

On 1/18/2020 at 11:59 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

Please allow me to further your limited education in response  to your ignorant wisea$$ statement. Broken bones have been properly and easily diagnosed long before x rays existed, and in today's world it's not hard for any properly educated or experienced person know if a person has an obvious broken bone or two. It's taught in the most basic first aid courses. Like, duh, arm and collarbones are kind of right there, you san see them under the skin. If your arm has a bend where it's not supposed to, duh! You don't suppose the police have seen broken bones or motorbike accidents before, do you? Or that police are trained in basic first aid and first responder treatments? And shame on you for making light of a sad and tragic event. Who raised you to be so calloused and insensitive? Do you think you're funny? 

In addition to the above, there was also an English nurse that was on the scene when the accident happened.