Phuket expat dies after being hit by ATV in the jungle

rooster59

Horrible accident.

Sharing my own experience, there were lessons for me but others may take something from it.

Changmai hills somewhere, no licence required (I did have one), disclaimer signed, some on road riding to get to the offroad hills.

My mindset at the time was a too UK where they often wrap you in so much cotton wool that its almost impossible to harm yourself, to be very very clear that is not the case in Thailand, everything is on the individual, if you drive like xbox you will crash like xbox.

About 8 of us following a couple of 'leaders', confidence had built up after an hour or so and there were some experienced drivers in our group so pace was fairly high, nobody was at the back of the pack though.

The guy in front of me's break lights had stopped working and he shouted about sharp bend just too late for me, I was travelling too fast and it was my fault nobody else's though my breaks were too weak in my view, I missed the turn hit a tree stump and I went over the handle bars, vehicle followed missed my head by inches as it landed, it bounced again and kept going, I ran after it to gain control to stop it driving off a cliff.

I got lucky but definitely put me off a few things like this here in Thailand.    

• Like 2

On 1/19/2020 at 1:47 AM, steven100 said:

Tourists think they can just jump on an ATV and off they go into the bush, up and down hills and mounds.

They are not toys and can topple in an instant if your going too fast or on a steep incline. They can roll over on top of you.

These folks don't realize how dangerous they can be unless care is taken. 

You cant blame tourists for doing things which are advertised as tourist attractions.

Tourists also do Bungee Jumps, Parachute jumps, Segway tours, Speedboat Trips, Jet-ski's,  Kayaking, etc all over the world!

If it is available as a tourist adventure in a tourist shop, then obviously ANY tourist would assume it is safe to do.

Your comment is illogical.

I'm not saying that she is or isn't to blame.  Perhaps she was driving irresponsibly. Perhaps the group leader didnt check she knew how to operate the ATV correctly.

I did an ATV tour in Thailand once (in CHiang Mai), it was boring and the accelerator was a really annoying short-stubby thing (like a 1 inch bicycle brake) which really hurt your thumbs).

Elsewhere, the ATV's I have used were more like motorbike accelerators (which was far more comfortable) but easier for less experienced to go out of control.

if you go to Spain and see people on the beach using Jet-Ski's, you would expect it is a safe thing to do because tonnes of people are already doing it every day.

It's unfair to say "Tourists think they can just jump on an ATV and off they go into the bush".

the comment is without considering the process of how a tourist participates in local tours while on a holiday.