1 Year Multi-Entry Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa based on marriage/kids Current Options 2020

34 minutes ago, codebunny said:

One question is that... it's not a "marriage visa" per se, it's a extension of a family visit visa, so I guess it doesn't have to be your wife, it could be your son or daughter, and if they can't read or write Thai, maybe you have to pay someone to write in Thai for them, and get them to sign it, and have copies of their ID card and Tabian Barn etc... Has anyone tried that? Did someone do that at Penang on here?

Since one of the documents which you have to provide is your marriage certificate I don't think that would work.

If I could sound a note of caution: the current requirements at Savannakhet (and Ho Chi Minh City) are good. The more people who try to bend the rules, and get visas for which they don't actually qualify, the more likely the authorities will get fed up and so the current system will be changed. That is what has screwed so many Visa classes over the last few years.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Only wife needs to sign - it is a visa to visit her (no children required).  It is a multi entry non immigrant O visa (not an extension) and be sure to write "multi" on the application.  You get up to 90 day stay on any entry so should fit overseas employment well as if travel often will never have to just cross border after a 90 or 90+60 extension stay to get a new 90 day stay.  

Sorry, my mistake, I got confused between posts.

I've had two of these before, both in the UK.

I've been scouring through thai law docs, originals and translations, and things on this site

https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=58b4f72454b2f90a80136447

I can't find (with certainty) the bit of law or regulation that this visa is based on.

14 minutes ago, JAG said:

Since one of the documents which you have to provide is your marriage certificate I don't think that would work.

If I could sound a note of caution: the current requirements at Savannakhet (and Ho Chi Minh City) are good. The more people who try to bend the rules, and get visas for which they don't actually qualify, the more likely the authorities will get fed up and so the current system will be changed. That is what has screwed so many Visa classes over the last few years.

My question, on another thread, is, is it actually bending the rules... where/what are the rules?

Is there a link on here to the rules that this visa is based on?

18 minutes ago, codebunny said:

My question, on another thread, is, is it actually bending the rules... where/what are the rules?

Is there a link on here to the rules that this visa is based on?

I can't quote a link. As the main document required to be submitted is the marriage certificate, together with copies of your wife's ID card and housebook ( listed as such I believe in the consulates website) then poling up without those documents; but with for example a letter written in Thai by a third party on behalf of any children, in an attempt to get such a visa, is fairly obviously an attempt to bend the rules!

1 hour ago, JAG said:

I can't quote a link. As the main document required to be submitted is the marriage certificate, together with copies of your wife's ID card and housebook ( listed as such I believe in the consulates website) then poling up without those documents; but with for example a letter written in Thai by a third party on behalf of any children, in an attempt to get such a visa, is fairly obviously an attempt to bend the rules!

I can:

I've found the rule, and my wife has explained it to me clearly.

It's fairly obviously not an attempt to bend the rules, but to follow the rules that are stated clearly in Thai on the official Thai government site. If you think it's wrong, please say why, but it looks pretty right to me and to native speakers where I am:

สำหรับ (O) การเข้ามาในฐานะเป็นบุคคลในครัวเรือนหรือในความอุปการะ
-  หลักฐานการเป็นบิดา มารดา บุตร / สูติบัตร / ใบสำคัญการสมรส

บุตร  means your kids; and สูติบัต means their Thai birth certificates. 

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/111218-Non-Immigrant-Visa.html

It is allowed. Moreover, the consulate in Penang issues them.

I appreciate the efforts of people to put information up on this forum based on their experiences, but there's nothing wrong with seeking out and showing what the actual rules are, rather then only relying on experience reports, which vary quite a bit. It's of benefit for everyone to simply show evidence for a rule, rather then just guessing, parroting other people, or relying solely on experience, which may deviate from what the rule actually says. I think I've found something useful for people to clarify an something that isn't necessarily obvious to a lot of people.

Edited by codebunny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

At this point will join BritManToo in belief this is not a serious inquiry.  

Well, as with BritManToo you have no basis to form that belief; and if you have nothing relevant to add to the subject of this thread, then it's not clear why you are posting this comment. You are welcome to delete your post too, and post your opinions elsewhere, they serve no useful purpose to anyone here.

9 hours ago, codebunny said:

I can:

I've found the rule, and my wife has explained it to me clearly.

It's fairly obviously not an attempt to bend the rules, but to follow the rules that are stated clearly in Thai on the official Thai government site. If you think it's wrong, please say why, but it looks pretty right to me and to native speakers where I am:

บุตร  means your kids; and สูติบัต means their Thai birth certificates. 

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/111218-Non-Immigrant-Visa.html

It is allowed. Moreover, the consulate in Penang issues them.

I appreciate the efforts of people to put information up on this forum based on their experiences, but there's nothing wrong with seeking out and showing what the actual rules are, rather then only relying on experience reports, which vary quite a bit. It's of benefit for everyone to simply show evidence for a rule, rather then just guessing, parroting other people, or relying solely on experience, which may deviate from what the rule actually says. I think I've found something useful for people to clarify an something that isn't necessarily obvious to a lot of people.

Well done, you have found a rule written down.

You have interpreted it.

Don't be surprised if the various consulates umh - " don't see it your way" but nevertheless good luck if you intend to try it.

Meanwhile like "BritManToo", my patience is exhausted.

You posed a question, I answered it as best I could, based on my experience, an answer which could be verified by a simple trawl of posts on this forum.

As I said, good luck if you intend to prove me, the other posters, and perhaps more importantly, the various consulates wrong.

Goodbye.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 6:46 AM, JAG said:

Well done, you have found a rule written down.

It's not hard to find rules that are written down, and it's not clear why anyone wouldn't want to find and use official rules written down in the language of a country they want to apply the rules of.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:46 AM, JAG said:

You have interpreted it.

A native Thai speaker who is highly educated in the UK and works in a western regulatory environment has interpreted it from the original Thai text, not an unofficial English translation.

Don't be surprised if the various consulates umh - " don't see it your way" but nevertheless good luck if you intend to try it.

The consulates are comprised of people with different levels of expertise and experience, and I have found that when you communicate with them in their language in a pleasant way, they can be very amenable. They are not a monolith. Luck should not be a factor, just good presentation of correct information to someone able to act upon the receipt of it.

Meanwhile like "BritManToo", my patience is exhausted.

It's not clear why you feel the need to make this comment.

You posed a question, I answered it as best I could, based on my experience, an answer which could be verified by a simple trawl of posts on this forum.

All that can be verified is a range of anecdotes from experiences of people where the entirety of the circumstances are not clear. There have been other issues, like the constant misinterpretation of the TM30 where persistent misinterpretations were posted on this forum and are treated as factual when they're not.

As I said, good luck if you intend to prove me, the other posters, and perhaps more importantly, the various consulates wrong.

I don't intend to prove consulates or embassies wrong, I intend to get the visa named in the title of this thread using the regulations relevant to it as described by the Thai authorities in Thai. Once this is done, if I feel like giving this website free useful content that might benefit many posters who for whatever reason don't use or follow the Thai regulations in Thai, to help clarify an area that seems to be in need of clarification. The last time I did this, I got an unimpressive response from the site, and so the site lost the free useful content that could benefit readers.

Goodbye.

Again, it's not clear why you're adding this. The purpose of this thread is very clear from the title.

Edited by codebunny
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2020 at 6:15 PM, codebunny said:

Yeah, but look at Savannakhet... 

a few baht to MoChit if you're in the middle of BKK, then 500 on the sleeper bus and you're at the border first thing, no financials, no handwritten letter in Thai from wife, no accommodation, maybe a cheap vehicle across the Mekong, cheap food, and they all understand Thai/Isan, no need to change money, maybe you can even use a TransferWise card? and the same fee for the actual visa.

From MorChit the evening bus will arrive in Mukdahan bus station early morning. Then you will need to buy a ticket and then get on another bus that leaves hourly to the Friendship Bridge in Laos. Everyone will get off the bus and go through immigration. Then back on the bus across the bridge to Laos immigration. I believe they only accept USD or THB for Laos visa. The window is right there on the left. I can't recall what I paid the last time. Once through Laos immigration grab a tuk-tuk and head to the Thai consulate in Savankhet before noon to submit your application. The tuktuk will wait for you then take you to your hotel to checkin. 

My multiple entry non-immigrant visa based on marriage was denied because despite having all the required documents the lady didn't like how my copies had been scanned and printed rather than just photocopied. So I only received a single entry non-immo based on marriage. 

There is a night market and you can sit along the banks of the Mekhong river and drink cheap beer Laos while you wait for your visa to be processed. During the day however the town seemed almost deserted. 

On 1/19/2020 at 7:40 PM, JAG said:

its not bending any rule at all, a family visa based upon a thai child is possible evēn for divorced falange is doable, no current marriage need, but alien must be legal father and child living with him.  this can be the a hang up if custody not written anywhere.