Don't move your Thai wife to the West if you want to come back .

sirineou

5 hours ago, Roadman said:

All of the kiwi/Thai couples we know plus the few Thai couples here would never leave NZ for Thailand. But then they have all built new life’s here with children which is a huge corner stone anchor. Plus own their own businesses or work generally in higher earning contract jobs. 
Perhaps in your case it’s a matter of accepting that she is intelligent enough to figure out where she sees her best opportunity for her well being (and congratulate yourself yet again for the outstanding choice you made letting her pick you as a partner and why when push comes to shove she is more important then Thailand just for now) and work towards a compromise of living in both countries for different periods. She will also retire one day. 

Once children come into play, the whole game changes, If we had children, no way would I pull them out of the US and move them to Thailand. 

I understand your daughter not wanting to vacation in Thailand anymore. She has being there done that, there is a whole world for her to explore. 

Thank you for your kind words, indeed I consider myself a lucky man to have met my wife, she changed my life for the better .  The joke between as is, When she calls me stupid, I alway reply "You married me and I am stupid" LOL 

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

Dude at my age I have trouble handling the first one, never mind getting another one. ???? 

Ok more seriously. It seems to me that you live in an area where winter is never there if I am not wrong, I understand if one lives in Canada or Scandinavia where winters are insurmountable for the elderly with rheumatism, but you because you have fixed Thailand ? I would probably know that many foreigners have left or plan to leave in the near future like me personally.
I believe that instead of staring at changing your mind about your wife you should see inside yourself if that's what you really want, a solution could be to come and live a long period in Khon Kaen (a city with a high degree of pollution in this period) I think that in the long run you may see that the neighbour's grass is not so green.
If you follow this site you can read a lot about how Thailand has changed for the worse in recent years and the future is increasingly uncertain on many areas of life here.
Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to endanger a good relationship for an idea that only you decide is the best, and that you may blame yourself in the near future.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

I have taken my Thai wife to the US several times already. After four to six weeks we are both very excited to return here. She would never want to  live there and neither would I. It is a boring, dull, listless, predictable life back there.

No thank you. Not for less than $1.5 million a year. 

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have taken my Thai wife to the US several times already. After four to six weeks we are both very excited to return here. She would never want to  live there and neither would I. It is a boring, dull, listless, predictable life back there.

No thank you. Not for less than $1.5 million a year. 

Visiting some place for a few weeks is much different than moving there for years. Ihope you understand that. 

I don't know where in the US you go but  $1.5 million per year  is more than a bit over the top. 

• Like 1

I met my wife in Germany when she visited her best friend. She came back two more times, then we married. After that we lived 10 years together in Germany and relocated 4 years ago to Chiang Mai. She was very happy in Germany and is happy now. 

• Like 1

If you are from any country other than the USA (except maybe switzerland) and get a chance to win a prize in lifes lottery and live in the US, its probably unlikely that you would want to leave.

• Haha 2

Just now, CNXexpat said:

I met my wife in Germany when she visited her best friend. She came back two more times, then we married. After that we lived 10 years together in Germany and relocated 4 years ago to Chiang Mai. She was very happy in Germany and is happy now. 

Your story sound similar to ours, and hope we have a similar outcome. Nothing is set in stone yet.

We moved in the US  and the understanding was always that one day we will come back to Thailand, with that prospect in mind we build a very IMo nice house in Khon Kaen and also own a car there.

Now that I am retiring , wife sounds a bit apprehensive. and I wanted to share that possibility. 

We should be coming to Thailand this spring as we do every year, (keeping an eye on Coronavirus) so we will see. Keep tuned:smile:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

If you are from any country other than the USA (except maybe switzerland) and get a chance to win a prize in lifes lottery and live in the US, its probably unlikely that you would want to leave.

It depends where you live and under which conditions. Poor in Chicago in an area controlled by gangs is not everybody´s dream. Also being poor in expensive cities like NY and San Francisco is not so nice - ok, it´s nowhere nice. Or in the middle of nowhere in Kansas, Alabama or Arizona is for sure not where I want to live. 
Do you know the prices in Switzerland? Having a good job with a good salary and it´s nice, having a lousy job with a low salary and you have a problem.

2 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Also being poor in expensive cities like NY and San Francisco is not so nice - ok, it´s nowhere nice.

Yeah being poor surely sucks dont it? Like the lady out in the "suburbs" (read dirt road) out in Siem that kissed my hand and bowed to me because I "tipped" her 25 cents? Bet she wouldnt mind a trip here.

Maybe Ill walk across the street into the local market here and yell hey, who wants to live in the United States? Think anybody will take me upon that?

38 minutes ago, sirineou said:

$1.5 million per year  is more than a bit over the top. 

Actually, if I think of how much it would cost for my (Thai) family and I to live in the States at the same level of comfort & security that we enjoy here in Thailand, $1.5M sounds about right.

1 minute ago, Roy Baht said:

Actually, if I think of how much it would cost for my (Thai) family and I to live in the States at the same level of comfort & security that we enjoy here in Thailand, $1.5M sounds about right.

$1,5 million would mean that you spend $4110,00 per day, 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah being poor surely sucks dont it? Like the lady out in the "suburbs" (read dirt road) out in Siem that kissed my hand and bowed to me because I "tipped" her 25 cents? Bet she wouldnt mind a trip here.

Maybe Ill walk across the street into the local market here and yell hey, who wants to live in the United States? Think anybody will take me upon that?

Sure. But then enter a hi-so club or restaurant in Bangkok and ask the same. I am sure you´ll get another answer. 

On 1/19/2020 at 1:45 AM, cmarshall said:

The US economy as a whole is not in recession, but manufacturing in the US is in recession.  I think the poster was pointing to is the slowdown of trade with China which is indeed due to Trump's tariff policy, which has nevertheless failed to reduce the US trade deficit, which was 25% higher in 2018 than 2016.  As one result of reduced trade with China, Thailand's growth was slowing in 2019, although it has so far not entered recession.

It's true that the headline US unemployment figure looks good, that statistic hides certain facts.  For instance, the 2 million incarcerated people in the US are not counted as unemployed even though they don't have jobs, nor are discouraged workers who have given up looking for work.  A better statistic is the labor market participation rate which counts the percentage of working age people who have a job, rather than the "unemployed."  Here is that graph.  While most of this cannot be blamed on Trump, it is a reason American workers are not feeling as festive as they were in Bill Clinton's term of office.

Labor Market participation rate

United States Labor Force Participation Rate

dont know about all that drivel, but drive around the USA and all you see is help wanted signs everywhere! 

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

I'd happily live in that area if it wasn't for the hellish pollution ... I can't help thinking that living there long term will reduce your life span. 

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

Visiting some place for a few weeks is much different than moving there for years. Ihope you understand that. 

I don't know where in the US you go but  $1.5 million per year  is more than a bit over the top. 

Yes, and I get to visit some places, and am spared the torture of having to live there. When I stated that i might consider moving back there for $1.5 mil a year, that was of course in jest, and I was attempting my level of disdain for the thought of having to live in the US, at this point in my life. Not if I can help it!

10 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Sure. But then enter a hi-so club or restaurant in Bangkok and ask the same. I am sure you´ll get another answer. 

Really. Well lets dress up, get into the Bently and head to a Hi So club and buy the entire bar a Jereboam of Moet. 

Bet we take a whole bunch back to the USA. ????

8 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I'd happily live in that area if it wasn't for the hellish pollution ... I can't help thinking that living there long term will reduce your life span. 

The problem is nearly everywhere in Thailand.

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

dont know about all that drivel, but drive around the USA and all you see is help wanted signs everywhere! 

I dont know why every topic has to turn into "Trump is bad" drivel (not your post dude) but here is an apochryphal story. We hire a lot of convicted felons, always have. One came by the other day, been there for 15 years, now gets $20 an hour. He crawls in sewer pipes with a shovel Apologizes and says that the competition wants to steal him, give him $22. So we gave him $25. Dude has maybe a second grade ghetto education, he's done time for manslaughter, smokes crack all weekedn so they pick himup at home and drag him to work, I personaly cant even understand half of what he says except for M......f....., n...... stuff like that. Im like, yo, what did you do last weekend...mumblemumblemumble bag a crack mumblemumblemumblemumble damn dat n...a had some fine m........f...... poos...... 

$25 an hour. Folks are stealing other folks employees. Unless they are Wesleyan graduates with a degree in feminist studies, then are padding the Unemployment stats and marching with silly hats.

I bet $1 USD that someone comes along to argue with me now just becasue I think the US economy is booming. Im not an economist, but maybe the bookeeper will tell me today, OK, you win, keep a condo in Bangkok too for when you have to come in for a dr visit from Cambo.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Really. Well lets dress up, get into the Bently and head to a Hi So club and buy the entire bar a Jereboam of Moet. 

It depends which kind of life you promise them in the USA. A life is of a Wal-Mart employee or a rich one. 

My dentist is married with a dentist and they are traveling around the world (Europe, New Zealand, Japan, India, etc.) and she prefers to live in Thailand 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

It depends which kind of life you promise them in the USA. A life is of a Wal-Mart employee or a rich one. 

My dentist is married with a dentist and they are traveling around the world (Europe, New Zealand, Japan, India, etc.) and she prefers to live in Thailand 

Dude like are you arguing just for the sake of arguing? You arent going to outmatch me, very few do. You know the point I am making so why y'all draggin it out? 

You walk up to 99% of the people outside the USA and say, hey, today is St. Pattys day and one person can come live in the USA, do you want to? I bet the answer is yes.

Now me, if some hot chick wanted me to live with her in Monaco forever, I would sigh, and say byby in Monacoease to everywhere. Where are the baguettes? 

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Ok but my Bentley is in the shop can we use yours? :tongue:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont know why every topic has to turn into "Trump is bad" drivel (not your post dude) but here is an apochryphal story. We hire a lot of convicted felons, always have. One came by the other day, been there for 15 years, now gets $20 an hour. He crawls in sewer pipes with a shovel Apologizes and says that the competition wants to steal him, give him $22. So we gave him $25. Dude has maybe a second grade ghetto education, he's done time for manslaughter, smokes crack all weekedn so they pick himup at home and drag him to work, I personaly cant even understand half of what he says except for M......f....., n...... stuff like that. Im like, yo, what did you do last weekend...mumblemumblemumble bag a crack mumblemumblemumblemumble damn dat n...a had some fine m........f...... poos...... 

$25 an hour. Folks are stealing other folks employees. Unless they are Wesleyan graduates with a degree in feminist studies, then are padding the Unemployment stats and marching with silly hats.

I bet $1 USD that someone comes along to argue with me now just becasue I think the US economy is booming. Im not an economist, but maybe the bookeeper will tell me today, OK, you win, keep a condo in Bangkok too for when you have to come in for a dr visit from Cambo.

Who other than you said anything about trump?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rabang said:

I doubt my GF would enjoy living in my country and as I don't want to stay in Thailand any longer it means eventually breaking up with her. No way I am going to give up everything for a woman.

cant think of a better reason.