Prescriptions in hospital - forced to buy unwanted meds

jekey

Whenever I go to the hospital (Bangkok Christian), they give me at least four medicines, most of which go unused. The doctor always tells me about one medicine he's giving me but when I go to the counter to pay and pick up my meds, there's always a bunch of others I must pay for and don't really want. Is it possible / acceptable to ask the doctor for the actual prescription(s) and tell him that I will buy it/them in the local pharmacy where it's cheaper and I can decide which ones I want?

Absolutely, I normally just ask what I need and have them prescribe the smallest amount (as a goodwill) and buy it from the Hospital. Then get what I need out in town. You're under no obligations to buy your prescriptions from the Hospital. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

What are your ailments may i ask ? 

Different visits for different ailments. The question is a general one about protocol and not about whether the medicines are appropriate for my ailment.

22 minutes ago, impulse said:

Hospital pharmacies probably thrive on fully insured patients who don't even look at the prices.  That was me before my contract and WP ended, along with my company insurance.  My personal policies aren't nearly as comprehensive any more.

Know a guy who had both babies in the same private hospital, first time without insurance and second with insurance.
Second one billed almost double the amount to insurance. Within 2 years after each other, same procedure / length of stay etc. They know to make money.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Know a guy who had both babies in the same private hospital, first time without insurance and second with insurance.
Second one billed almost double the amount to insurance. They know to make money.

I know there's more to it, but if I had to fill out all the forms and fight all the fights to get reimbursed by an insurance company, I'd start out at double, too.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

I might be a bit off course here, but why do people have to go to hospital in Thailand 

for prescriptions? Where I live we go to a doctors surgery only serious or life 

threatening cases are refereed to hospitals.

There are virtually no GP's in Thailand with offices independent of a hospital.

Took me awhile to get used to it, too.  The good news is that a visit to the hospital in Thailand doesn't incur punitive pricing like a visit to a US hospital.  Often less than $20 USD to see a doctor in a Thai hospital- even an expensive private hospital.

A little anecdote...  We had a visitor from Europe in a hotel on BKK's Sukhumvit that got a little sick.  The (5 star) hotel had a doctor on call for around $100, plus any prescriptions.  I walked him down to Bumrungrad and he saw a great doctor and walked out with several prescriptions for less than $100.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Just now, impulse said:

There are virtually no GP's in Thailand with offices independent of a hospital.

Took me awhile to get used to it, too.

Yes lucky me I never needed a doctor in Thailand here in OZ you have hundreds of GP's

in every city. Don't even need to make an appointment in most of them(surgeries) 

I went to see a doc a couple of years ago, because I was worried about my irregular

heartbeat got a appointment at the hospital for a Cardio Version at 8 am and walked

out again at 1 pm. Of course free off charge.( cardio version means have the heart reset)

OK I am a pensioner and covered by Medicare. If I need any of my medication updated

I just see a doctor and pick up my medication at a chemist for a few dollars. 

• Like 1

I've declined meds a few times, they usually prescribe the most expensive they can find plus throw in unnecessary meds as well. The pharmacy always look shocked when i decline, they must be used to it by now. I have asked the Dr to write the meds down as i want to buy outside as I'm not a tourist.

You can also check the meds at the pharmacy before paying, ask for the bill then take a photo or write them down then don't buy

• Like 1

Maybe this was mentioned earlier in this thread. Part of the problem are the typical Thais who see a doctor.

It seems Thais are somehow happy or even proud if their doctor prescribed lots of medications for them.

Let's look at the options:

a) Doctor tells them you don't need medication. Relax a few days and it will go away. 

b) Take this and relax for a few days.

c) Take this and that

d) Take this and that and that as well. Take double the amount to be sure. You don't have to rest.

Guess which answer most Thais prefer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, lujanit said:

Unfortunately there are some medications that can only be prescribed by a doctor in a hospital and supplied by the hospital.

I need two such meds and can nowhere else.

i look for a pharmacy who have my med, and i find one, that was not very easy, but possible,and i all way refuse the medication from the hospital if i think they charge to much, i just save 1650tb on one medication  30 pills i have to take for life according to my docteur.and that pharmacy give me a english bill for my insurance.

hospital are a business who make money they don't car about giving you the right care,the medication i take come from france ,you buy that in any pharmacy in france 30 pills for 450tb,in thailand hospital charge me 2640tb for 30 pills...now i get my medication in thailand not from hospital but from a pharmacy, that medication coste me 1050tb for 30 pills! also this pharmacy told me i can get generic for less.

22 hours ago, lujanit said:

Unfortunately there are some medications that can only be prescribed by a doctor in a hospital and supplied by the hospital.

I need two such meds and can nowhere else.

what are your medication? i will check if they have and at what price

I had the same thing happened to me from the doctor in chalong. After his initial examination he offered me a handful of clear plastic bags full of pills. I requested information regarding what he is giving me and his response was, "I am a doctor, you no believe me, get out!! ". he stood up and almost forced me through the door then said something in Thai in front of the other waiting patients while I left.   This left me a A little surprised as I only wanted to know what meds I'm taking and if they were necessary. Obviously in this case the patient is not always right. It's not the first time I have attended a doctors practice where they give off this "superior than thou, do as I say" attitude.  When i asked thai friends about this, they informed me that doctors study for years and know what is best for you!! -- Really!!

The last time I went to see a doctor at a hospital here in Thailand, she (the doctor) asked me if I wanted a prescription so I could go and buy the medicine myself or if I would like to get it there at the hospital pharmacy. Just the way it should be ????.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curious297 said:

I had the same thing happened to me from the doctor in chalong. After his initial examination he offered me a handful of clear plastic bags full of pills. I requested information regarding what he is giving me and his response was, "I am a doctor, you no believe me, get out!! ". he stood up and almost forced me through the door then said something in Thai in front of the other waiting patients while I left.   This left me a A little surprised as I only wanted to know what meds I'm taking and if they were necessary. Obviously in this case the patient is not always right. It's not the first time I have attended a doctors practice where they give off this "superior than thou, do as I say" attitude.  When i asked thai friends about this, they informed me that doctors study for years and know what is best for you!! -- Really!!

you should talk to a manager,that not a good way to care about a patient,he should be fire!

3 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

The last time I went to see a doctor at a hospital here in Thailand, she (the doctor) asked me if I wanted a prescription so I could go and buy the medicine myself or if I would like to get it there at the hospital pharmacy. Just the way it should be ????.

yes suppose to be like that!

On 1/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

You can refuse to buy obviously. I believe they even have to allow you to buy outside of the hospital, even when being inpatient, with changed rules recently.

I always ask the doctor what tablets/whatever he is prescribing for me, before I leave his office and if I consider some of them to be surplus to requirements, or which can be bought locally a lot cheaper, which some often are (like paracetamol, antihistamines, and most antibiotics) then I tell him that's what I will do, and I have said this to a couple of doctors or more and they are quite okay with it.

Unfortunately I had an experience like the poster curious297 where I questioned one doctor because I'd been on a few months of antibiotics, changing quite regularly on his instructions and was still feeling very unwell, this despite my requests for him to try and culture the bacteria, so I asked him if he could do a culture and if I could stop taking the current antibiotic because I was feeling very sick on it.

Well, he basically told me to get out of his office there and then, so I did and later saw another doctor who did culture my specimen and which resulted in me getting a very rare antibiotic, intravenously once a day for 14 days.

Believe me I was very sick and if I ever saw this doctor walking down the street I would probably smack him straight between the eyes. 

18 hours ago, curious297 said:

After his initial examination he offered me a handful of clear plastic bags full of pills.

That sounds like a stand alone clinic rather than a hospital - have never had medications provided directly by a doctor at any hospital.  

I ask the Doctor what they are describing and say I already have it. 

If it’s something I can’t get unless it’s from the hospital pharmacy on instructions from a Doctor then I have little choice. 

I won’t pay the hospital pharmacy prices for something I can buy at boots for 1/4 of the price and thus always decline at the time when talking with the Doctor.