Jump to content
BANGKOK
Buba Ho Tep

How to setup a US phone number that forwards SMS to Andriod

Recommended Posts

How can you setup a US phone number that forwards SMS to a Thai-base SIM, or an Android app or computer app without traveling back to the US?
How can you set that up from Thailand?  US companies are increasing requiring 2-factor authentication to a US phone number which is a bit problematic when you spend most of your time living overseas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Textnow on IOS.  There is probably an Android version.  You will get a new number.  I don't know if you can port an old number to use as your Textnow number.  I have verified that it works with Bank of America for two factor verification and also with State Dept. Federal Credit Union.  You must periodically use your Textnow number otherwise they will disable it.  The service is free.

Edited by gamb00ler
it's free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://voice.google.com

 

It's free, forever*, you can select your area code and #, and it's also a voice+SMS+voicemail number so you can forward both calls and texts to your phone using the Google Voice android app which fully integrates into your phone. It also allows you to make free calls to the USA. Works on PCs and Apple phones too. All you need is a gmail/google account.

 

I've used it over 10 years and it works painlessly.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition every Google Voice message automatically shows up in your Gmail in box 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I use Textnow on IOS.  There is probably an Android version.  You will get a new number.  I don't know if you can port an old number to use as your Textnow number.  I have verified that it works with Bank of America for two factor verification and also with State Dept. Federal Credit Union.  You must periodically use your Textnow number otherwise they will disable it.  The service is free.

I've attempted to set up Textnow on Android.  It installs Ok but setting up an account was impossible. 
I set this up while using a VPN connection to the US.
First attempted to set up an account using and existing Google account.  It failed with an error message.

Then attempted to set up an account manually.  Entered an valid email and set a local password.  Same, same: errored out.
Then uninstalled the program and reinstalled.  Attempted to set up an account again.  It failed with a "Too many attempts, try again later" message.
I uninstalled it.  It's not too useful if it can't be set up and configured.  I'm open to suggestions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, clokwise said:

https://voice.google.com

 

It's free, forever*, you can select your area code and #, and it's also a voice+SMS+voicemail number so you can forward both calls and texts to your phone using the Google Voice android app which fully integrates into your phone. It also allows you to make free calls to the USA. Works on PCs and Apple phones too. All you need is a gmail/google account.

 

I've used it over 10 years and it works painlessly.

 

Attempted to set up Google Voice on Android.  However, in the set up process you are required to have a US phone number in order to complete the setup.  Catch-22.  You need a US number to set up a US number in GV.  Not sure how to get around that but open to suggestions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Buba Ho Tep said:

Attempted to set up Google Voice on Android.  However, in the set up process you are required to have a US phone number in order to complete the setup.  Catch-22.  You need a US number to set up a US number in GV.  Not sure how to get around that but open to suggestions. 

You only need it during initial configuration.  So, you can ask a friend or family member back in the States to allow you to use that person's landline or cell number for the purpose.  Assuming that that person is not interested in having a GV number, there is no downside to his letting you use his for this purpose.  I think during the setup you need to get a confirmation code via the US number.  So, have your friend send it to you.  Done.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...