How to setup a US phone number that forwards SMS to Andriod

Buba Ho Tep

How can you setup a US phone number that forwards SMS to a Thai-base SIM, or an Android app or computer app without traveling back to the US?
How can you set that up from Thailand?  US companies are increasing requiring 2-factor authentication to a US phone number which is a bit problematic when you spend most of your time living overseas. 

I use Textnow on IOS.  There is probably an Android version.  You will get a new number.  I don't know if you can port an old number to use as your Textnow number.  I have verified that it works with Bank of America for two factor verification and also with State Dept. Federal Credit Union.  You must periodically use your Textnow number otherwise they will disable it.  The service is free.

Edited by gamb00ler
it's free

https://voice.google.com

It's free, forever*, you can select your area code and #, and it's also a voice+SMS+voicemail number so you can forward both calls and texts to your phone using the Google Voice android app which fully integrates into your phone. It also allows you to make free calls to the USA. Works on PCs and Apple phones too. All you need is a gmail/google account.

I've used it over 10 years and it works painlessly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I use Textnow on IOS.  There is probably an Android version.  You will get a new number.  I don't know if you can port an old number to use as your Textnow number.  I have verified that it works with Bank of America for two factor verification and also with State Dept. Federal Credit Union.  You must periodically use your Textnow number otherwise they will disable it.  The service is free.

I've attempted to set up Textnow on Android.  It installs Ok but setting up an account was impossible. 
I set this up while using a VPN connection to the US.
First attempted to set up an account using and existing Google account.  It failed with an error message.

Then attempted to set up an account manually.  Entered an valid email and set a local password.  Same, same: errored out.
Then uninstalled the program and reinstalled.  Attempted to set up an account again.  It failed with a "Too many attempts, try again later" message.
I uninstalled it.  It's not too useful if it can't be set up and configured.  I'm open to suggestions!

4 hours ago, clokwise said:

https://voice.google.com

It's free, forever*, you can select your area code and #, and it's also a voice+SMS+voicemail number so you can forward both calls and texts to your phone using the Google Voice android app which fully integrates into your phone. It also allows you to make free calls to the USA. Works on PCs and Apple phones too. All you need is a gmail/google account.

I've used it over 10 years and it works painlessly.

Attempted to set up Google Voice on Android.  However, in the set up process you are required to have a US phone number in order to complete the setup.  Catch-22.  You need a US number to set up a US number in GV.  Not sure how to get around that but open to suggestions. 

12 minutes ago, Buba Ho Tep said:

Attempted to set up Google Voice on Android.  However, in the set up process you are required to have a US phone number in order to complete the setup.  Catch-22.  You need a US number to set up a US number in GV.  Not sure how to get around that but open to suggestions. 

You only need it during initial configuration.  So, you can ask a friend or family member back in the States to allow you to use that person's landline or cell number for the purpose.  Assuming that that person is not interested in having a GV number, there is no downside to his letting you use his for this purpose.  I think during the setup you need to get a confirmation code via the US number.  So, have your friend send it to you.  Done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2020 at 9:41 PM, Buba Ho Tep said:

On 1/18/2020 at 9:57 PM, cmarshall said:

You only need it during initial configuration.  So, you can ask a friend or family member back in the States to allow you to use that person's landline or cell number for the purpose.  Assuming that that person is not interested in having a GV number, there is no downside to his letting you use his for this purpose.  I think during the setup you need to get a confirmation code via the US number.  So, have your friend send it to you.  Done.

Just a warning...

Google just sent me an e-mail saying that I MUST re-verify my "real" USA phone number to continue using Google Voice.  I'm not sure why they picked on me, but...I haven't used GV for a long time.  I've only been getting calls on my GV number from unknown and weird looking phone numbers.  I never answer them.  In the past I have used GV for long distance to Thailand when I had no other decent option, but not for several years.

The "real" phone number I use to verify GV is actually an Ooma number.  I want to retain GV so I have a backup number that will receive SMS from US financial institutions.  

The re-verify process consisted of an automated call from Google with a computer generated voice telling me the code that I must enter online to prove it's my phone number.

• 8 months later...