SURVEY: Coronavirus -- danger or false alarm?

Scott

SURVEY: Coronavirus -- danger or false alarm?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The newly discovered Chinese coronavirus has made an appearance in Thailand.   It has also been found in Japan and some countries, including the US, is inspecting all arrivals from China at major airports.   Which option best describes your opinion on the virus and its impact specifically on Thailand and generally on the region.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1143801-another-chinese-patient-with-new-coronavirus-quarantined/?tab=comments#comment-14964843 

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

The worrying thing these Viruses can mutate,they

evolve ,I suspect one day there will be another

pandemic like the Spanish Flu, that killed millions

very quickly,and in reality not such a bad thing,

just Mother Nature thinning out an overpopulated

World,it needs wars or disease to keep population

in check.

regards worgeordie

There have been at least two Influenza pandemics since then (as well as many more "outbreaks").

But with far fewer fatalities because "the world" was a different place then, and it is better able to deal with them now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H2N2#Asian_flu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H1N1#Russian_flu

So don't get your hopes up too much (for a flu-based mass extinction).

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

I think the government will be just as effective in dealing with this virus as they have been with burning and air pollution and water management and the drought. 

Maybe they could replicate the UK's stellar handling of Mad Cow disease (where the PM ate a hamburger on TV to reassure the public that all was well while herds of cows were being culled).

Or the way the US initially dealt with the HIV epidemic ... pretend  it didn't present a problem, while the president never admitted it even existed.

One wonders at the purpose of the survey. Whatever the prevailing opinion, is it expected that reality will in any way be effected. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Or the way the US initially dealt with the HIV epidemic

Had to stick "initially" in there, didn't you? Why? Because subsequently and quite quickly the US dealt with it extremely effectively. So, you really didn't make much of a point, did you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Quick follow up, I have only pneumonia and flu, but with my medical history it will be drug resistant. Way too many applications of anti biotics, used in the past.

So yes, this new virus has the potential to take out quite a few people.

Antibiotics cannot treat virus, so your previous use won't matter. 

But still, get well soon.

I'm currently blocked up with a cold, messed up one of my ear tubes, but getting better now.

Was in Vietnam last week where it started.

Oh my god maybe I've got it!

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Quick follow up, I have only pneumonia and flu, but with my medical history it will be drug resistant. Way too many applications of anti biotics, used in the past.

Antibiotics have nothing to do with viruses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Had to stick "initially" in there, didn't you? Why? Because subsequently and quite quickly the US dealt with it extremely effectively. So, you really didn't make much of a point, did you?

You must be joking " quite quickly?"

From 1981 to 1985 the president never mentioned the disease publicly. And even after the death toll rose dramatically and there were mass protests at the CDC the money allocated for research was only being considered. 

1. September 17: President Ronald Reagan mentions AIDS publicly for the first time, calling it “a top priority” and defending his administration against criticisms that funding for AIDS research is inadequate.
  1. October 2: Rock Hudson dies of AIDS-related illness at age 59. In his will, Hudson leaves $250,000 to help set up the American Foundation for AIDS Research(amfAR). Actress Elizabeth Taylor serves as the organization’s founding National Chairman.
  2. October 2: The U.S. Congress allocates nearly $190 million for AIDS research—an increase of $70 million over the Reagan Administration’s budget request. The House Appropriations Committee also urges President Reagan to appoint an “AIDS czar.”

660,000 Americans diagnosed with AIDS related diseases died as of several years ago. That's only Americans and only those with documented diagnoses. The delay in anything remotely adequate being done was shameful and the cause of deaths that might have been prevented.

How anyone can say the government response was quick or adequate is mind boggling.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Haha 1

It will probably be similar to previous SARS and MERS outbreaks. Experts now suggest there is likely some human to human transmission and a 1000+ cases.

But there is a small chance it could be far worse. The Spanish flu needed a perfect storm to spread and better adapt to humans resulting in a second wave that killed most of its nearly 50 million victims.

In a few days, 100s of millions of Chinese will begin travelling home for holiday and back again, mostly by train. Many will travel through China's massive centrally located Railway Hub in Wuhan.

Also, Tamiflu and most anti-viral drugs developed for the flu are not effective against SARS like viruses. There are currently no vaccines available.

But probably not. Any way, Thai officials said there is no problem.

Edited by rabas

20 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

You must be joking " quite quickly?"

From 1981 to 1985 the president never mentioned the disease publicly. And even after the death toll rose dramatically and there were mass protests at the CDC the money allocated for research was only being considered. 

1. September 17: President Ronald Reagan mentions AIDS publicly for the first time, calling it “a top priority” and defending his administration against criticisms that funding for AIDS research is inadequate.
  1. October 2: Rock Hudson dies of AIDS-related illness at age 59. In his will, Hudson leaves $250,000 to help set up the American Foundation for AIDS Research(amfAR). Actress Elizabeth Taylor serves as the organization’s founding National Chairman.
  2. October 2: The U.S. Congress allocates nearly $190 million for AIDS research—an increase of $70 million over the Reagan Administration’s budget request. The House Appropriations Committee also urges President Reagan to appoint an “AIDS czar.”

660,000 Americans diagnosed with AIDS related diseases died as of several years ago. That's only Americans and only those with documented diagnoses. The delay in anything remotely adequate being done was shameful and the cause of deaths that might have been prevented.

How anyone can say the government response was quick or adequate is mind boggling.

Complete and utter hysteria, paired with selective memory.  

The trend can be attributed to a couple of factors, said Kates. While the political well plays a role, there are 2 factors that really account for the rise in spending: the increasing number of people living with HIV in the US, which has led to increasing expenditures on care and treatment; the other is the increasing recognition of the importance of combatting the global epidemic.

The current federal budget for HIV funding is $32.9 billion. Accounting for the largest proportion of the total cost is care and treatment (60%); global funding accounts for 20%, cash and housing assistance accounts for 9%, research accounts for 8%, and prevention accounts for 3%.

“This breakdown has changed over time,” said Kates. “If I showed you 1981, all of the money was spent on research because there were no treatments and there was little to no effort on prevention in the very beginning.”  https://www.ajmc.com/newsroom/the-past-present-and-future-of-hiv-funding

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Maybe they could replicate the UK's stellar handling of Mad Cow disease (where the PM ate a hamburger on TV to reassure the public that all was well while herds of cows were being culled).

mad cow ... lol

you know they fed cows, the brains of sick sheep, right ...

they are not supposed to eat other animal parts

but that is how the world is ruled

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Antibiotics cannot treat virus, so your previous use won't matter. 

But still, get well soon.

I'm currently blocked up with a cold, messed up one of my ear tubes, but getting better now.

Was in Vietnam last week where it started.

Oh my god maybe I've got it!

If only doctors realized that antibiotics don’t treat viruses!!

The problem I have been told is that many patients feel short changed unless prescribed some form of medication or in the alternative often a secondary bacterial infection can occur so better to get in early.

8 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

astutely chosen forum nick !