Jump to content
BANGKOK
oz457

How many days overland border crossing Vientianne-Nong Khai?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Isn't it a benefit by not losing a whole page of your passport ?  it is also a benefit if traveling to Cambodia as you only pay the official fee and not one made up by their immigration.   

I still got a sticker in my passport, an in and out stamp and a ‘used’ stamp on the sticker, which totaled half a page. Like I said, time-wise it was just the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

$35= 1,057 baht  so 443 baht dif or  almost $15!!!

I've always paid in $ ( same for Cambodia)

Yeah like i said, a difference of a few hundred baht.

But thanks for letting us know you always pay in $

A really constructive post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 5:10 AM, Vietem said:

I still got a sticker in my passport, an in and out stamp and a ‘used’ stamp on the sticker, which totaled half a page. Like I said, time-wise it was just the same.

That’s too bad. I don’t mind paying the extra fee for a Cambodian e-visa because it saves a full passport page, but there’s not any point on doing the same in Laos if they still give a sticker.

 

On 1/20/2020 at 11:44 PM, MarcB said:

Yeah like i said, a difference of a few hundred baht.

But thanks for letting us know you always pay in $

A really constructive post.

Do they care about the condition of baht currency?  In my experience, Lao border officials insist on new and crisp US dollars.  If they are at all faded, you might have to use a nearby currency exchanger (there’s always one standing nearby) to get newer bills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 12:43 PM, MarcB said:

It's quoted as 35$ for Belgians.

In Thai Baht you have to pay 1,500

It's a difference of a few hundred Baht.

When you pay in USD, they give you an unfriendly look and let you wait to collect it for like half an hour.

If you pay THB, it's all friendly done in 10 minutes.

I've always paid in USD and they have always been friendly and it was processed quite fast. Maybe there was another reason for your delay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the visa before hand at the Laos consulate in KK. Cost 1600bht but so much less hassle when you get there.

Straight to immigration booth and done.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Canuckabroad said:

That’s too bad. I don’t mind paying the extra fee for a Cambodian e-visa because it saves a full passport page, but there’s not any point on doing the same in Laos if they still give a sticker.

Others have stated they did not get a sticker when entering Laos with a evisa. They just went through a line for for the evisas.

Not sure what he may of done wrong to get a sticker.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jackdd said:

I've always paid in USD and they have always been friendly and it was processed quite fast. Maybe there was another reason for your delay.

That is good if you have the dollars. But not always easy to get smaller denominations to have the correct amount for the visa. I have been told no less than $50 at banks here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is good if you have the dollars. But not always easy to get smaller denominations to have the correct amount for the visa. I have been told no less than $50 at banks here.

 

Yes, banks suck as money exchangers, no idea why they even write this on their sign. If not completely out of stock, then they just have 100USD bills.

Usually there are proper money exchangers not far from the border crossings. There is for example a "Super Rich" in Nong Khai (but in the city, so a bit inconvenient if going by bus).

But even if this is too complicated, it's usually possible to exchange money directly at the border. When i did this the last time (a while ago, i don't know if they are still there), because i forgot to exchange money beforehand, it was possible to do this at the booth next to where you buy the bus ticket to go from Laos to the Thai side of the bridge. The rate was not as good as outside, but also not too bad, definitely way cheaper than paying 1500 instead of 30-35USD to the IO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure when applying for your Laos evisa that you are on the .gov site not the .com site which charges a 45 dollar handling charge + the visa fee.

I had my visa on arrival form pre filled in and as you are stamped in to Laos when they issue you the visa I as was able to beat the evisa holders who have to queue through immigration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 10:44 PM, MarcB said:

But thanks for letting us know you always pay in $

Does it mean somebody has to buy dollar in a currency exchage in Thailand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Vascoda said:

Does it mean somebody has to buy dollar in a currency exchage in Thailand?

Travel to Laos and Cambodia always good idea to have USD on you. For border and air entries.

Vietnam bit different. Can pay visa on arrival even with baht. 

However vast majority pay in USD.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...