Norway aims to cash in on growing Thai appetite for salmon

17 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

New Zealand salmon trout, caught on the line in one of New Zealand's fabulous lakes.

New Zealand has no native salmon or trout and all the salmonids were originally imported as ova. Although there is a very significant recreational trout fishery in New Zealand often sustained by hatchery output, farming of trout in New Zealand is illegal. Attempts have been made to farm the sockeye and Atlantic species in New Zealand but for various reasons these were unsuccessful such that only Chinook is now farmed.

http://www.salmon.org.nz/new-zealand-salmon-farming/history/

As an off topic comment, a few years ago, I was able to buy frozen farmed rainbow trout from the Royal Project,usually found in large malls, wasn't too bad and not too expensive.

Yes I seem to recall reading somewhere that the trout were imported many decades ago, however perhaps the reason there is a particular species of trout there that the anglers do call "salmon trout" is because it tastes a bit like salmon or maybe has the same colour – – I don't really know, but it's delicious all the same and would be great when used for sushi because the colour is identical.

Good that the farming of trout in New Zealand is illegal, so it keeps the local anglers happy, however the rest of the world is missing out on a treat.

Thank you for the info...........and may be time to start organising recreational fishing trips to New Zealand to fish for the beautiful and tasty trout! Not to mention sampling the wonderful white wine to go with it, and all the many craft beer brewers which have now sprung up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

As much concern as you eat any other farmed meat! So basicaly you most people are doomed. 

Not true, much more concern. If you watch the documentary I posted you will know why, levels are multiple times higher than in farmed meat etc.
Seriously not worth the risk eating.

43 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Not true, much more concern. If you watch the documentary I posted you will know why, levels are multiple times higher than in farmed meat etc.
Seriously not worth the risk eating.

You choose to believe what you want, and trust your sources wich often reflects trading wars behind some of the docs. The money involved in farmed salmon is radical higher than any food farming, so follow the money is my best tip. 

On 1/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, nervona81732 said:

Norwegian farmed salmon is one of the most toxic around. Their flesh is pink because dye has been introduced to the feed. The ponds are over crowed and disease is prevalent in the enclosures so anti biotics are introduce. That's what your eating. No thanks , I pay the price for WILD CAUGHT.

Interesting.  I'd never known about this.  So I went and Googled and found this video that says Tilapia and farmed Salmon are the most toxic and unhealthiest fish out there.  Makes me wonder about one of my favorite Thai dishes, "Plaa Tuck Tim" or something like that.