Those 39 Million Tourists

saengd

Threads that try to disprove popular conspiracy or bias theories tend to be quite short because there's nothing left to bitch and moan about until a new subject comes up. My worry is that having earlier disproved many of the Baht manipulation theories and now moving on to this, one day the TVF hit squad will come along and zap  me because threads like these are bad for business. ????

Edited by saengd
  • Thanks 1

More people travel internationally every year.  Population of the world increases every year.  Logical that more people visit Thailand every year.

According to the United Nations World Tourism Organization.  1.4 Billion tourists travelled internationally in 2018.

So Thailand's 39 million is 2% of total international travellers

international-tourist-arrivals-by-region.png

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

The other biased theory I want squashed (and I think you said you crunched the numbers before?) is this insanely exaggerated idea that some Westerner expats hold re: how much their presence in Thailand contributes to the local economy. I'm pretty sure that compared to the mass tourism, the contribution made by Western expats is a drop in the bucket.

Even when they're overstayed by years, selling fake watches or petty thieves, many here still claim they greatly contribute to the local economy!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

The other biased theory I want squashed (and I think you said you crunched the numbers before?) is this insanely exaggerated idea that some Westerner expats hold re: how much their presence in Thailand contributes to the local economy. I'm pretty sure that compared to the mass tourism, the contribution made by Western expats is a drop in the bucket.

A new thread topic, coming to a forum near you, soon. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NE1 said:

Just looking at newspaper and internet reports , I don't doubt the figures , I just wonder where they all stay ?

As the hoteliers are saying there business is down xx %.  empty condos galore throughout the land.

Just asking.

I live 20 kms outside Chiang Mai in an area that a few years ago was 80% Thai and 20% farang. Today this area is 95% Chinese and 5% farang, most rent their houses either directly or through a common agent, a few via Air whateverit'scalled, some for a few days, some for one month, some for three and many for up to a year - our next door neighbors are Chinese and even my wife is now fluent in Mandarin. I imagine that what I see around me is being replicated in many parts of the country.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Good investigative info. Thanks.

Haters will always hate and claim everything is false.

Just a bunch of insecure mostly unsuccessful people makes them somehow feel better to disparage most anyone and anything Thailand.

A sad lot they are.

Yes. Unsuccessful people. 

5 hours ago, saengd said:

I personally like to deal on the basis of fact rather than criticise or deny everything and simply follow the herd who want to slag off everything and everyone that is Thailand, how you and others do behave is of course your choice!

based on your facts, please tell us how many out of the "and disembarked so figure 40.5 million arrived" were in transit

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

based on your facts, please tell us how many out of the "and disembarked so figure 40.5 million arrived" were in transit

As the OP says:

Using traffic at just the top six major airports: Of the 81.5 mill, about 7% were transit passengers (p67), figure net arrivals was 37.7 mill.

28 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

of those 39 million how many are not tourists ?

The terms "tourist" and "arriving foreign passenger" are being used interchangeably in this exercise since it's highly unlikely any data regarding purpose of the visit is likely to be suspect.

But since the analysis doesn't successfully quantify all the arriving international passengers in Thailand and there are some ten million yet to be classified, it is likely that more than 39 million will counted in the final totals, especially if land crossings are included, substantially more in fact.

Edited by saengd

4 minutes ago, gearbox said:

They seem to contribute a lot...to the point where they have no money left for visas ???? Just look at the number of threads discussing the financial requirements for visas.

A visa is inexpensive, it are the requirements being out of touch with reality making it difficult to obtain them. This got nothing to do with monthly spending power.
If you have a social welfare plan but no big savings, you could easily spend 50K + a month but being unable to deposit 800K or proving 65K.

Any country where you spend 3 times the minimum wage, would be happy to host you. Let alone 5 times up.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Cambodia: 5,669 baht/day

Laos: 5,382 baht/day

Myanmar: 5,977 baht/day

What are those? The people crossing the border once per quarter to go shopping at Makro and return the same day? Great tourists LOL.

Edited by ChaiyaTH