Those 39 Million Tourists

saengd

24 minutes ago, saengd said:

You could always try coming up with a supportable evidence based alternative of your own, we'll listen to what your numbers are and how you arrive at them..

I don't need to do so. I have a life of my own.

It doesn't concern me as to whether Thailand has tourists or not or whether they use dodgy statistics to bolster their arguments or not.

I'm just a holidaymaker. 

57 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

of those 39 million how many are not tourists ?

For example all the business travellers, tons of people come for business to BKK, it's after all a big economy here in SEA. Not sure how big of a percentage that is, but thats also the ones who are counted many times as many of them are repeat visitors...

Just now, ThomasThBKK said:

For example all the business travellers, tons of people come for business to BKK, it's after all a big economy here in SEA. Not sure how big of a percentage that is, but thats also the ones who are counted many times as many of them are repeat visitors...

Yeah they also count expats and Thai citizens returning from a holiday abroad.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, saengd said:

The terms "tourist" and "arriving foreign passenger" are being used interchangeably in this exercise since it's highly unlikely any data regarding purpose of the visit is likely to be suspect.

But since the analysis doesn't successfully quantify all the arriving international passengers in Thailand and there are some ten million yet to be classified, it is likely that more than 39 million will counted in the final totals, especially if land crossings are included, substantially more in fact.

Sorry, I missed the "arriving foreign passenger" distinction. Does that mean that Thai passengers arriving from abroad are not counted within those numbers?

I also arrive perhaps three or four times per annum. Does that mean that I am counted four times?

I haven't checked, but since you have, you may be able to tell us.

I don't have a dog in the fight, so I don't really care. But since we are discussing it...

35 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

That aside, many of the recent years growth tourist numbers are kind of <deleted>ty, as these are 3-5 day holidaying Chinese on dollar tours (compared to smaller numbers of tourists from western countries who used to stay 1-2 months). I think reality is much closer to 20-25M in comparable realistic tourism figures. 

That said, the 39M figure is not that special either, Amsterdam does similar.

The average Chinese overseas holiday is 9.4 days, according to their MOFA.

60% of Chinese tourists are now in the FIT category (Free Independent Travellers), not tour groups. This from the same Ministry, not Thai numbers.

Amsterdam is the epitome of weekenders. 2/3 days only.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saengd said:

our next door neighbors are Chinese and even my wife is now fluent in Mandarin.

Please, get real for once and stop talking so much nonsense on this forum. Your wife is also nowhere close to fluent in a few years time or is she Einstein?

Would take hell lot longer to get fluent in Mandarin. You mean she can chit chat like we can in Thai.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Please, get real for once and stop talking so much nonsense on this forum. Your wife is also nowhere close to fluent in a few years time or is she Einstein?

Einstein spoke mandarin?? ????

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yes you are counted four times, some of my friends would even be counted like 20 times a year.

Totally wrong. If they have any kind of Non-(O/A/B,OX, etc) visa they are NOT counted as tourists.

It is all clear as mud here:

https://immigration.go.th/immigration_stats

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 1

I don't know where these tourists are going, but IMO it's not Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. Tour operators here are tearing their hair out.

They may be getting the 1-2 week tourists, which may be what they want. Certainly not longer-term stayers, condo rentals are way down.

Most Chinese tourists stay for two weeks or less.  Tourists from other SE Asian countries often just stay for a long weekend.  European tourists usually stay for about a month. 

So, although the numbers are up and the per day spending is up, the overall revenue is down.

7 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Most Chinese tourists stay for two weeks or less.  Tourists from other SE Asian countries often just stay for a long weekend.  European tourists usually stay for about a month. 

So, although the numbers are up and the per day spending is up, the overall revenue is down.

Pardon? ????

56 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Einstein spoke mandarin?? ????

I don't think so, he despised the chinese. 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/12/einsteins-travel-diaries-reveal-shocking-xenophobia

Chinese don’t sit on benches while eating but squat like Europeans do when they relieve themselves out in the leafy woods,” he wrote.

“All this occurs quietly and demurely. Even the children are spiritless and look obtuse.”

The theoretical physicist, who once said racism was “a disease of white people”, added: “It would be a pity if these Chinese supplant all other races. For the likes of us the mere thought is unspeakably dreary.”

Doesn't seem like he would have bothered to learn mandarin, just saying.

And yes, he seemed to be a giant dick.

Edited by ThomasThBKK

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I wonder how frequently the OP actually flies around Thailand and knows people all over the country in Tourism business, as the OP is the one in denial here.
It got nothing to do with being a 'hater' either, I would love to see tourism thriving as it once did. 

The numbers are fake as they are not all tourists, neither are they unique arrivals. One wonders why you are so naive and motivated to protect TAT their lies and nonsense. Perhaps, as you are so sure of 'us' being wrong, you could tell where all these 39M tourists are staying, and how that explains heavy declines in all cities for hotels. (The small percentage that now checks in airbnb's does certainly not justify that decline alone).

I do not doubt the 39M arrival figure is real, it is just that they are not unique and real tourists. That is the point. 
That aside, many of the recent years growth tourist numbers are kind of <deleted>ty, as these are 3-5 day holidaying Chinese on dollar tours (compared to smaller numbers of tourists from western countries who used to stay 1-2 months). I think reality is much closer to 20-25M in comparable realistic tourism figures. 

That said, the 39M figure is not that special either, Amsterdam does similar.

In denial, niave ........hahahahhahahaa!

16 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Most Chinese tourists stay for two weeks or less. 

Sorry but where do you get that from, I've never seen Chinese stay 2 weeks and they are not repeat visitors in my experience or maybe once is enough

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Sorry, I missed the "arriving foreign passenger" distinction. Does that mean that Thai passengers arriving from abroad are not counted within those numbers?

I also arrive perhaps three or four times per annum. Does that mean that I am counted four times?

I haven't checked, but since you have, you may be able to tell us.

I don't have a dog in the fight, so I don't really care. But since we are discussing it...

Go back and read the OP properly so that you understand what you are responding to rather than looking stupid.

58 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Would take hell lot longer to get fluent in Mandarin. You mean she can chit chat like we can in Thai.

I'll not be baited by you but she does have a university distinction in spoken and written Mandarin.

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Sorry but where do you get that from, I've never seen Chinese stay 2 weeks and they are not repeat visitors in my experience or maybe once is enough

As said, the Chinese around where we live stay for long periods, some for very long periods.

Edited by saengd

15 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I don't think so, he despised the chinese. 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/12/einsteins-travel-diaries-reveal-shocking-xenophobia

Doesn't seem like he would have bothered to learn mandarin, just saying.

Errr.....I think you missed my intention.... ????

8 minutes ago, saengd said:

In denial, niave ........hahahahhahahaa!

For those in denial, just go to the major airports in Bangkok, there are two of them! In 2006 one closed down as the "new" airport had more than enough capacity, 14 years later they are both running at full capacity, which can only lead to the conclusion that there are lots more people visiting!

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

It's "naive" and you haven't even begun to address the questions brought up by your use of naked statistics.

Bums on seats, what can be more basic yet some people still don't get it, such is the desire to fault all things Thai., sad.