Those 39 Million Tourists

saengd

8 minutes ago, saengd said:

Factored out of the number of tourists in my count, go read the OP again so you better understand.

Can you highlight where in your original post?

If you are making a point, do it so that we all understand it.

No need to try to make it so complicated in so that no one understands it.

Show us where you filtered out Thai passport holders.

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Can you highlight where in your original post?

If you are making a point, do it so that we all understand it.

No need to try to make it so complicated in so that no one understands it.

Show us where you filtered out Thai passport holders.

It was cunningly hidden, disguised as Thais travellling overseas, complete with its own link on the same subject!

Thai’s travelling overseas in 2018 was 8.79 million (Nation 5 July 2018), ergo, net international arrivals by air at the six largest airports was 37.7 million minus 8.79 million or a minimum confirmed airline passenger arrivals of 28.91 million. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, saengd said:

It was cunningly hidden, disguised as Thais travellling overseas, complete with its own link on the same subject!

Thai’s travelling overseas in 2018 was 8.79 million (Nation 5 July 2018), ergo, net international arrivals by air at the six largest airports was 37.7 million minus 8.79 million or a minimum confirmed airline passenger arrivals of 28.91 million. 

So now we are down to 28.91?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

No. No time to go through every link.

Just tell me the correct link and/or copy and paste the relevant passage.

Do you imagine that everyone will go through every link and read all?

Of course not.

Summarise the information in the body of the post in the first place.

So, where can I find it, exactly?

For someone who is 'just a holiday maker' you're pretty insistent. No time to go through every link? Instead of posting superfluous questions, you could have read them.

From an article posted here on Friday;

Last year, the Tourism Council of Thailand president noted the country notched up 39.7 million visits a headcount that reflects all foreign arrivals including those on annual work or retirement visas as well as overland trips from Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Malaysia.

It's not a 'with us or against us' discussion. It's just a discussion.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, scotinsiam said:

I leave by air and return around 8 or 9 times a years - I imagine I may be counted as 8 or 9 people lol

Only if you have a tourist visa or use the 30 days visa except, then you are rightly so counted as a tourist.

If you are on a marriage or retirement extension you are not included in TAT's 39 million tally. 

8 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Only if you have a tourist visa or use the 30 days visa except, then you are rightly so counted as a tourist.

If you are on a marriage or retirement extension you are not included in TAT's 39 million tally. 

Or VOA.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't know where these tourists are going, but IMO it's not Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. Tour operators here are tearing their hair out.

They may be getting the 1-2 week tourists, which may be what they want. Certainly not longer-term stayers, condo rentals are way down.

How many tourists would you expect to be long term stayers or renting condos anywhere in the world? This is where this argument gets muddled all the time. A long term stayer isn't a tourist and Ive never been on holiday and felt the need to rent a condo. <deleted>. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I think they count every arrival with a non-Thai passport as a tourist entry.

The Minister OF Tourism was certainly calling long stay expats 'tourists' when she gave a speech in Chiang Mai.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scotinsiam said:

I leave by air and return around 8 or 9 times a years - I imagine I may be counted as 8 or 9 people lol

I imagine you will be counted 8 or 9 times. But there's not much to distinguish your profile from that of a frequent tourist visitor so how would they know, unless they went down to a level of granularity with the data capture and statistics that would make counting burdensome.

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Wrong.

Last year, the TCT president noted the country notched up 39.7 million visits a headcount that reflects all foreign arrivals including those on annual work or retirement visas as well as overland trips from Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Malaysia. At the start of 2019, the country’s Ministry of Tourism and Sports set a target of 40 million.

1 hour ago, starky said:

How many tourists would you expect to be long term stayers or renting condos anywhere in the world? This is where this argument gets muddled all the time. A long term stayer isn't a tourist and Ive never been on holiday and felt the need to rent a condo. <deleted>. 

I rent apartments almost exclusively when travelling. Time for you to understand that the world is changing.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think they count every arrival with a non-Thai passport as a tourist entry.

The Minister OF Tourism was certainly calling long stay expats 'tourists' when she gave a speech in Chiang Mai.

I think that's correct, it looks like every non-Thai is regarded as a tourist for counting purposes and probably is to some degree.