Jump to content
BANGKOK
rooster59

Thailand’s “agriculture 4.0” … a dream come true?

Recommended Posts

Thailand’s “agriculture 4.0” … a dream come true?

 

Agicult-4.0.jpg

 

Suwit Traichok, a 60-year-old melon producer, was the pioneer of Thailand’s young smart farmers. Despite having a promising career and a decent salary in a well-established organization, Thai Airways International, he quit the job and moved to his hometown, in Ayutthaya province, to pursue his dream job in agriculture.

 

He started his pilot project on a very small scale on family-owned land. With a degree in Engineering, the farmer’s son knew only practical farming, so he sought theoretical advice from the instructors at Kasetsart University. He returned to his farm to try the methods, then went back to the university and asked again. Combining knowledge in Agriculture, Chemistry and Engineering, he developed his vegetable cultivation techniques, a combination of local wisdom and modern technologies, by himself. After being tried and tested for several years, his efforts eventually paid off.

 

Now, 30 years have passed, and his melon farm has expanded from 150 square meters to 40 acres. Suwit makes profit every single year.

 

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-agriculture-4-0-a-dream-come-true/

 

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-01-19
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

So melons do not need water to grow ?

Melons need a label like this: Japan melon.....and a pricetag of 180 baht.....that's how they sell thai grown mango's here in BKK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Now, 30 years have passed, and his melon farm has expanded from 150 square meters to 40 acres. Suwit makes profit every single year.

After 30 years of farming I should hope he does turn a profit.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

and a decent salary in a well-established organization, Thai Airways International, he quit the job and moved to his hometown, in Ayutthaya province, to pursue his dream job in agriculture.

maybe he just saw the writing on the wall ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 8:02 AM, rooster59 said:

Thailand’s “agriculture 4.0”

Does that mean the mediaeval slash-and-burn method is finally over and we will see a downfall in lung cancer deaths?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This post has nothing to do with the OP.

Once upon a time there were two farmers.

One started his farm with good quality seed crops and because he had worked and saved a lot in a previously well paid job he didn't have to borrow the money to buy them. He could also buy equipment when it was needed.

The other farmer had to buy his seed crop on a loan to be paid back to the lender who would set the price of the crop but the other farmer could sell his crop to whoever he wanted for cash at a good rate.

 

I'm getting bored now so anyone else can finish the fairly story which is not based on facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well they do have a bright future with exporting cold smoked products. Just hang them outside to get that nice smoke ring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 9:50 AM, canopus1969 said:

So melons do not need water to grow ?

They grow on basalt wool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, overherebc said:

This post has nothing to do with the OP.

Once upon a time there were two farmers.

One started his farm with good quality seed crops and because he had worked and saved a lot in a previously well paid job he didn't have to borrow the money to buy them. He could also buy equipment when it was needed.

The other farmer had to buy his seed crop on a loan to be paid back to the lender who would set the price of the crop but the other farmer could sell his crop to whoever he wanted for cash at a good rate.

 

I'm getting bored now so anyone else can finish the fairly story which is not based on facts.

This post has nothing to do with the OP.

 

Once upon a time there were two low class farmers who pretended to be soldiers, then they both became politicians. 

 

One started his career with lies and because he had never worked before and never saved a lot in a previously low paid job, he never had any cash. 

 

But that changed when he took over a whole country and invented new paragraphs. An article he named # 44 helped him a lot. 

 

The other farmer who first became a soldier, then a politician had many friends who gave him expensive watches.

 

Unfortunately, did all these friends then pass away and the poor guy was sitting on expensive watches.

 

What else should he have done then wearing them in honor of his dead friends? 

 

I'm getting bored now so anyone else can finish the fairly story which is truly based on facts.

Dino.jpg

Edited by Isaanbiker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...