Exhaust and no wind blamed for Bangkok’s worsening air quality

rooster59

Exhaust and no wind blamed for Bangkok’s worsening air quality

PM-2.5-12-2.png

Vehicular exhaust, accumulated since Friday evening when traffic was the worst of the week, compounded by a temperature inversion increased air pollution in and around Bangkok on Saturday, according to the Pollution Control Department.

It said, however, that the problem eased somewhat during the afternoon as airborne dust was dispersed by the onset of a south-easterly 10-20kph breeze.

Seven areas in Bangkok and six in surrounding areas were found to have excessive PM2.5 dust particles of up to 66 microns this morning, but pollution in some northern and north-eastern provinces today is worse than in Bangkok, mainly due to smoke from forest fires and the burning of farm waste.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/exhaust-and-no-wind-blamed-for-bangkoks-worsening-air-quality/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-01-19
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

When I clean the balcony everything has a thick layer of black dust and this after one day only. The bad thing is that there is no improvement. I have the feeling that it is getting worse every year.

Getting worse or the public awareness has increased?

I lived in an apartment in Bangkok that had an attached large Patio area, it was very nice - it was unusable without washing it down everyday due to the filth and pollution that settled, that was in ~ 1990, Bangkok was even worse back then at times for pollution, they had a massive campaign and that was successful and cleaned the city air immensely, guess they have forgotten about that?

If the atmosphere is inverted and their is no wind, unless there are a lot of rice fields within the city, this episode of pollution isn't burning fields its predominately traffic and construction.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, thequietman said:
50 minutes ago, Thian said:

Why is the police not going to the farmers and order them to stop burning? 

Where's the money to be made in that? The farmers are broke! ????

Well Prayuth can save a lot of money by not paying the police because they won't do their job.

13 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I think the police force here are self funding - hence the massive corruption.

When the police stopped me they ordered me to 'show me your money', i had to show them what's inside my wallet.......

So yes, i guess you're right.

27 minutes ago, mickey rat said:

Get used to it, it's not getting better. Though I do feel sorry for the uneducated, ignorant and poor who have destroyed their own environment and now have no choice but to breath the poison and filth and associated health ramifications. ????

Agreed, they will never accept responsibility. Every day the thousands of stationary motorists pushing out fumes and heat sit in their polluting vehicles happy to push all the blame on the farmers

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

Just now, BobbyL said:

Do the Pollution Control Department not realise that there is pollution all over the country? Is the high PM2.5 in the north also to do with exhaust fumes and little wind? 

True, but its a lot worse in the city centre, I live 12 miles outside the city of UT, our levels are usually half or less than what they are reporting in the city.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:46 AM, unamazedloso said:

But why? The farm burning all around bkk has absolutely zero to do with this??. Its 198pm2.5 here in kanchanaburi. Smells the same here as bkk and polluted the whole way so why this constant ignorant lying? Why protect Farmers and firebugs of forest land?? I really cant figure this out.

Because you're in Thailand... 

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Beggar said:

The outside air smells bad. This you will realize especially if you have the aircon running what somewhat cleans the air. When I clean the balcony everything has a thick layer of black dust and this after one day only. The bad thing is that there is no improvement. I have the feeling that it is getting worse every year.

Its been getting steadily worse for at least the last 5 years. I am on a high floor less than 1 mile from the ocean. Each year there are more and more days I cannot actually see the ocean. Just a murky colour that blends into the sky.

12 minutes ago, potless said:

Its been getting steadily worse for at least the last 5 years. I am on a high floor less than 1 mile from the ocean. Each year there are more and more days I cannot actually see the ocean. Just a murky colour that blends into the sky.

Today in Jomtien it's the worse I've ever seen like the darkening of the skies before dusk. From the 15th floor we can see the gloom and taste it. 

• Like 2