Mon Jam resort operators defy order to suspend operations

rooster59

Mon Jam resort operators defy order to suspend operations

Mon-Jam.jpg

Resort operators at Doi Mon Jam, in Chiang Mai’s Mae Rim district, are defying an order, issued by the Mae Rim district office, to suspend their operations within 30 days of January 15th.

In a statement issued on Friday, operators of the resorts, which are yet to be issued with operating licenses, claim that they occupied the land legally, long before the land was declared to be part of Mae Rim national park.

They also claim that most of the residents in Mon Jam are hill tribes who have been granted the right to occupy and utilize the land by forest officials, as mandated by a cabinet resolution of April 30th 1998.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/mon-jam-resort-operators-defy-order-to-suspend-operations/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-01-19

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They also claim that most of the residents in Mon Jam are hill tribes who have been granted the right to occupy and utilize the land by forest officials, as mandated by a cabinet resolution of April 30th 1998.

Ah, clever, a 24 hour tribe indoctrination pass for tourists

6 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I'm at a loss to understand the popularity of paying money to sleep in a tent in a crowded parking lot.  Do they pipe in 'Nature Sounds' at night to give the patrons the real-deal experience?

In a freezing cold tent on the top of a draughty mountain.......

3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I've spent weeks on end in freezing cold tents on tops of mountains, miles from the nearest human, and  slept with plenty of bugs in forests and jungles all over the world. But I'll be dipped if I'd ever spend a single night to camp in a parking lot on the side of an ugly hill... and be charged money for the privilege, too boot!  When I climb out of my tent, I don't want to see another tent, much less 200 of them. I want to see Nature, trees, or mountains, not hordes of people. THAT is what camping is all about... finding a spot in the middle of nowhere, just flat enough to sleep on, and fall asleep listening to the river nearby. This Thai camping reminds me of my kid setting up his first tent, and spending the night in it... in the living room.

(This photo was a typical night's lodging during a one-week solo backpacking walk through the Pemigewasset Wilderness in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. THIS is camping!)

Steve055.JPG

Nah that is just being uncomfortable for a few nights, my idea of a camping trip is 3 or 4 nights in San Francisco

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I'm at a loss to understand the popularity of paying money to sleep in a tent in a crowded parking lot.  Do they pipe in 'Nature Sounds' at night to give the patrons the real-deal experience?

It's the sunrises, apparently. Thousands of Thais flock to Phu Chi Fa every January for them. No piping needed, they bring their own boom boxes.

• Confused 1

On 1/20/2020 at 2:46 AM, Lacessit said:

It's the sunrises, apparently. Thousands of Thais flock to Phu Chi Fa every January for them. No piping needed, they bring their own boom boxes.

Hmmmm...LOL! Very Thai.  As far as I can tell, all these tents are facing west. Looking at GoogleEarth map, those buildings are next to the road on the east side, with the hillside sloping down to the west-south-west.

On 1/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, FolkGuitar said:

Baked beans on the menu daily.

• Haha 1