Jump to content
BANGKOK
gkroo

Connecting Laptop to LAN cable

Recommended Posts

The specs for you laptop indicate an ethernet port is included.  It would be a cheap  and simple test to buy a cable and try it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its possible that a LAN cable will improve the buffering...its also posiblle that buffering is occurring anywhere in the internet chain before teaching you...international bandwidth is often throttled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Connected the cable and no problems watching "Live Net TV" with no buffering, at this stage, thanks guys !!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's actually totally ridiculous that they would sell your device with old, slow mechanical storage.

1 TB 5400 rpm SATA in 2020??

 

Those drives support a maximum of 100 MB/s read/write speeds and that is under optimal conditions.

 

So it is literally blocking the performance of your other components.

 

Ridiculous when it has a slot for PCIe/NVMe storage. With PCIe NVMe, you are looking at Read: 1350 MB/s & Write: 480 MB/s from even the cheapest options. 

 

You'll then understand how good your laptop.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

It's actually totally ridiculous that they would sell your device with old, slow mechanical storage.

1 TB 5400 rpm SATA in 2020??

 

Those drives support a maximum of 100 MB/s read/write speeds and that is under optimal conditions.

 

So it is literally blocking the performance of your other components.

 

Ridiculous when it has a slot for PCIe/NVMe storage. With PCIe NVMe, you are looking at Read: 1350 MB/s & Write: 480 MB/s from even the cheapest options. 

 

You'll then understand how good your laptop.

 

Oh please. I've no idea how old it is. I assume new enough to have SSD that you would whine so. Maybe he bought it at a nice discount. Cruising around on the internet you'll write to disk very infrequently.

 

I bet there's some wireless solution for him he's just not savvy enough to sort it.

 

PS just checked the spec and price. Yeah, it's good spec save for the shi++y drive. 15kthb what do you want??

Edited by Number 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

6 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Oh please. I've no idea how old it is. I assume new enough to have SSD that you would whine so. Maybe he bought it at a nice discount. Cruising around on the internet you'll write to disk very infrequently.

 

I bet there's some wireless solution for him he's just not savvy enough to sort it.

 

PS just checked the spec and price. Yeah, it's good spec save for the shi++y drive. 15kthb what do you want??

 

If you have no idea how old it is, then why are you posting?

 

If you imagine that he is only "cruising around the Internet" than why does he need  1 TB of storage?

 

Let's say 1TB HDD costs 1000 baht.

Why not fit an SSD costing 1000 baht? Can easily get 256 GB for that.

 

Shall I tell you why? Marketing. 1 TB looks better than 256 GB.

 

SSD lower power usage, lower latency, more robust(can move the laptop around whilst in use), much faster.....

 

I don't know if you noticed, but we've already moved on from the buffering, as he attached a LAN cable.

 

So I was discussing why they would fit the oldest and slowest possible storage solution to a laptop boasting a AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700U CPU?

 

It is literally dragging the performance of all of the good components backwards.

 

Perhaps you should read and comprehend, before joining a thread in argumentative mode.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And zero impact on viewing streaming videos from the net.

How could it have worked some years ago.

SSD is sold as snakeoil, cure for all ailments.

 

Using LAN cable instead of WiFi if possible can hardly be wrong.

 

Record players still work Mr BENQ.

 

Try to keep up. You totally missed the point of my post.

 

My point is that there are only benefits to having an SSD fitted. The only benefit of HDD is cost to capacity ratio.

They could have fitted an SSD without much change to the pricing, if any at all.

 

The performance would improve hugely. The only difference would be a smaller capacity drive. I would happily accept a 256 GB SSD over a 1 TB 5400 RPM HDD.

 

Understand now?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

The specs for you laptop indicate an ethernet port is included.  It would be a cheap  and simple test to buy a cable and try it.

actually no.

under LAN the specs say "N/A" and on the photos I couldn't see something looking like a LAN port.

Edited by tgw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gkroo said:

Connected the cable and no problems watching "Live Net TV" with no buffering, at this stage, thanks guys !!

I was having trouble with buffering on some links and had the 3BB techies out to have a look but they kept blaming my computer.

 

A friend, as well as a couple of guys from one of the forums here, suggested trying a LAN cable direct from the modem to my computer and that has worked well, but not 100% until I completely clear my browser history and also unplug my modem for 30 seconds........then most of the time things are good.

 

I also installed a little app called SG TCP OPTIMISER and that seems to have improved things as well, so perhaps those people that know about these things can tell me why and if I've got it connected up properly??.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If no Ethernet port on laptop / notebook  use this , can be bought from Lazada

2020-01-19_192502.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...