Connecting Laptop to LAN cable

gkroo

It's actually totally ridiculous that they would sell your device with old, slow mechanical storage.

1 TB 5400 rpm SATA in 2020??

Those drives support a maximum of 100 MB/s read/write speeds and that is under optimal conditions.

So it is literally blocking the performance of your other components.

Ridiculous when it has a slot for PCIe/NVMe storage. With PCIe NVMe, you are looking at Read: 1350 MB/s & Write: 480 MB/s from even the cheapest options. 

You'll then understand how good your laptop.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

It's actually totally ridiculous that they would sell your device with old, slow mechanical storage.

1 TB 5400 rpm SATA in 2020??

Those drives support a maximum of 100 MB/s read/write speeds and that is under optimal conditions.

So it is literally blocking the performance of your other components.

Ridiculous when it has a slot for PCIe/NVMe storage. With PCIe NVMe, you are looking at Read: 1350 MB/s & Write: 480 MB/s from even the cheapest options. 

You'll then understand how good your laptop.

Oh please. I've no idea how old it is. I assume new enough to have SSD that you would whine so. Maybe he bought it at a nice discount. Cruising around on the internet you'll write to disk very infrequently.

I bet there's some wireless solution for him he's just not savvy enough to sort it.

PS just checked the spec and price. Yeah, it's good spec save for the shi++y drive. 15kthb what do you want??

Edited by Number 6

6 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Oh please. I've no idea how old it is. I assume new enough to have SSD that you would whine so. Maybe he bought it at a nice discount. Cruising around on the internet you'll write to disk very infrequently.

I bet there's some wireless solution for him he's just not savvy enough to sort it.

PS just checked the spec and price. Yeah, it's good spec save for the shi++y drive. 15kthb what do you want??

If you have no idea how old it is, then why are you posting?

If you imagine that he is only "cruising around the Internet" than why does he need  1 TB of storage?

Let's say 1TB HDD costs 1000 baht.

Why not fit an SSD costing 1000 baht? Can easily get 256 GB for that.

Shall I tell you why? Marketing. 1 TB looks better than 256 GB.

SSD lower power usage, lower latency, more robust(can move the laptop around whilst in use), much faster.....

I don't know if you noticed, but we've already moved on from the buffering, as he attached a LAN cable.

So I was discussing why they would fit the oldest and slowest possible storage solution to a laptop boasting a AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700U CPU?

It is literally dragging the performance of all of the good components backwards.

Perhaps you should read and comprehend, before joining a thread in argumentative mode.

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And zero impact on viewing streaming videos from the net.

How could it have worked some years ago.

SSD is sold as snakeoil, cure for all ailments.

Using LAN cable instead of WiFi if possible can hardly be wrong.

Record players still work Mr BENQ.

Try to keep up. You totally missed the point of my post.

My point is that there are only benefits to having an SSD fitted. The only benefit of HDD is cost to capacity ratio.

They could have fitted an SSD without much change to the pricing, if any at all.

The performance would improve hugely. The only difference would be a smaller capacity drive. I would happily accept a 256 GB SSD over a 1 TB 5400 RPM HDD.

Understand now?

6 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

The specs for you laptop indicate an ethernet port is included.  It would be a cheap  and simple test to buy a cable and try it.

actually no.

under LAN the specs say "N/A" and on the photos I couldn't see something looking like a LAN port.

Edited by tgw

7 hours ago, gkroo said:

Connected the cable and no problems watching "Live Net TV" with no buffering, at this stage, thanks guys !!

I was having trouble with buffering on some links and had the 3BB techies out to have a look but they kept blaming my computer.

A friend, as well as a couple of guys from one of the forums here, suggested trying a LAN cable direct from the modem to my computer and that has worked well, but not 100% until I completely clear my browser history and also unplug my modem for 30 seconds........then most of the time things are good.

I also installed a little app called SG TCP OPTIMISER and that seems to have improved things as well, so perhaps those people that know about these things can tell me why and if I've got it connected up properly??.

https://cloud.google.com/bigtable/docs/choosing-ssd-hdd

Not aware that the OP is using data sets of 10 TB and above on his consumer laptop.

OP has already solved buffering issue and has moved on from that.

I then pointed out, to the OP, that it was ridiculous that HP paired a storage solution from the eighties with a relatively high spec and up to date mobile CPU and Motherboard.

That will drag the performance of the whole device down to it's level.

It is, as Number 6 so eloquently put it, "good spec, save for the shi++y drive".

So clearly not just me who thinks the same.

Since it actually has a slot for a PCIe NVMe SSD, I recommend looking at the possibility of fitting one, at least as a Boot drive. 

Then the OP will realise how good the laptop he has purchased actually is.. Prices from around 800 baht for an M.2. NVMe drive.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, xylophone said:

I was having trouble with buffering on some links and had the 3BB techies out to have a look but they kept blaming my computer.

A friend, as well as a couple of guys from one of the forums here, suggested trying a LAN cable direct from the modem to my computer and that has worked well, but not 100% until I completely clear my browser history and also unplug my modem for 30 seconds........then most of the time things are good.

I also installed a little app called SG TCP OPTIMISER and that seems to have improved things as well, so perhaps those people that know about these things can tell me why and if I've got it connected up properly??.

Maybe some details/specification of the PC involved could be useful.

33 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Maybe some details/specification of the PC involved could be useful.

Sure.....it is a 3 or 4 year old Toshiba Satellite Radius,

Intel core (TM) i7-6500U CPU @2.5GHZ

Installed ram 8 GB. HDD 250 GB (I think)

64-bit operating system, 64 based processor.

Windows 10 Home installed and using Chrome browser. 

Any other info I can get??

Thanks.

58 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Sure.....it is a 3 or 4 year old Toshiba Satellite Radius,

Intel core (TM) i7-6500U CPU @2.5GHZ

Installed ram 8 GB. HDD 250 GB (I think)

64-bit operating system, 64 based processor.

Windows 10 Home installed and using Chrome browser. 

Any other info I can get??

Thanks.

Sorry I think the drive is SSD 250 GB!

If you really mean "buffering" then the simple answer is: plain no!

However I assume you mean latency: yes, it can improve latency.

The more interesting question would be "throughput", e.g. if you download a 2GB movie. And then the answer is: NO. The bottleneck is your router to the internet back bone. 

Wifi can be a problem if neighbours use similar routers and/or their routers use the same channel (a router usually is supposed to hop on an less used channel, but most simply stick to a default channel) or you have many devices aka wive's mobile, son's mobile your PC and your laptop connected via Wifi. If that is the case, using ethernet would help.

The drive and other things have absolutely nothing to do with it.

If your PC/laptop is unusually slow, especially on the internet, a malware check/virus check should be done. By an expert, not by the build in virus scanner.

15 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

I guessed a 256 GB SSD. 

Spec is good, so what about the links? Are you able to test them on another device?

Thank you for your replies Bruno, much appreciated.

I do have an old HP laptop, however it is very low spec and I can't do much with it at all so I have no other way to test the links I'm on, but as I said, things are a lot better now than they have been, and I just get occasional buffering and the message "you do not have enough bandwidth to view this" when I'm watching something like BBC iPlayer or ITV sports.

I'm probably on about the best I can get with my 3BB landline (the landlord here won't let me have fibre-optic cable installed – – long story but that's how it is!) However any other suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks for your help so far and I was wondering whether the little app that I had installed the, SG TCP OPTIMISER had been set up properly by me?

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thank you for your replies Bruno, much appreciated.

I do have an old HP laptop, however it is very low spec and I can't do much with it at all so I have no other way to test the links I'm on, but as I said, things are a lot better now than they have been, and I just get occasional buffering and the message "you do not have enough bandwidth to view this" when I'm watching something like BBC iPlayer or ITV sports.

I'm probably on about the best I can get with my 3BB landline (the landlord here won't let me have fibre-optic cable installed – – long story but that's how it is!) However any other suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks for your help so far and I was wondering whether the little app that I had installed the, SG TCP OPTIMISER had been set up properly by me?

It's not an application of which I have any experience.

https://testmy.net What speeds are being achieved?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/playback-issues/buffering

23 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

It's not an application of which I have any experience.

https://testmy.net What speeds are being achieved?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/playback-issues/buffering

Using "testmy.net" I get between about 29 and 32 Mb per second, so in my experience (limited as it is) that should be enough to ensure a good picture?? So it's strange that I get the "bandwidth" message?

I have no other devices running at the time and I always close all applications as well as clearing my browser so I think I've done everything I possibly can, although I did look on the BBC iPlayer links that you gave me and there were a couple of suggestions that I will look at and carry out.

Thanks for your advice and by the looks of things I'm probably doing as well as can be expected given that I have got a limited 3BB landline connection (50 Mb per second I think).

PS. on the browser situation, I'm wondering if Microsoft Edge might be worth a try???

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Using "testmy.net" I get between about 29 and 32 Mb per second, so in my experience (limited as it is) that should be enough to ensure a good picture?? So it's strange that I get the "bandwidth" message?

I have no other devices running at the time and I always close all applications as well as clearing my browser so I think I've done everything I possibly can, although I did look on the BBC iPlayer links that you gave me and there were a couple of suggestions that I will look at and carry out.

Thanks for your advice and by the looks of things I'm probably doing as well as can be expected given that I have got a limited 3BB landline connection (50 Mb per second I think).

PS. on the browser situation, I'm wondering if Microsoft Edge might be worth a try???

More than enough. I stream Full HD media on a 10 Mbps connection, with no buffering.

Definitely not EDGE. Try a Browser that automatically blocks all Ads and advertising banners that suck up your bandwidth.

5 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

More than enough. I stream Full HD media on a 10 Mbps connection, with no buffering.

Definitely not EDGE. Try a Browser that automatically blocks all Ads and advertising banners that suck up your bandwidth.

Thought about giving Epic browser a try, but a little uncertain on this!! Thanks for your help.