adjustable dumbbell 40kg+ Bangkok

lovesthespicy

Hello I've been looking for a bigger set of adjustable dumbbells for working out at home. I've found the bowflex 1090s but they seem to be really expensive here for a pair like 20k Baht or so. I found a set on the tough man website similar to the bowflex at 15kbaht a pair but their currently out of stock. 

I was hoping to find something similar to what I have at home https://www.amazon.com/Yes4All-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Connector-Options/dp/B01D487TDA?th=1 These are obv not as nice as the bowflex and take a little more work to adjust weights but they only cost 200 USD. Obv they might cost like 10k here but I'd be ok with that. These ones are 100lbs each if you dont feel like clicking the link. 

Any suggestions?

My experience with dumbbells like those is that the connector (closing ring) gets loose during certain exercises. That can be annoying it does not happen all the time and does not go completely loose but at times give enough annoyance to stop a set. 

The ones you show you can buy everywhere and then just buy loose disks so yo can get to the weight you like. You would want one that is as long as possible. But I am not sure there are different sizes like that. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

My experience with dumbbells like those is that the connector (closing ring) gets loose during certain exercises. That can be annoying it does not happen all the time and does not go completely loose but at times give enough annoyance to stop a set. 

The ones you show you can buy everywhere and then just buy loose disks so yo can get to the weight you like. You would want one that is as long as possible. But I am not sure there are different sizes like that. 

Those particular dumbbells dont have that problem but I've had other cheaper ones that do that I bought in BKK.  The ones I had were ok for me starting but kinda cheaply made. I outgrew those already and only want to keep them around for curls. 

Do you have any suggestions of dumbbells like the ones I linked? My concern was that the handles couldnt fit all that much weight. Like say I buy a 40KG set and then go buy another 40KG worth of dumbbells would one handle of those really be able to carry a entire 40kg? 

19 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

Those particular dumbbells dont have that problem but I've had other cheaper ones that do that I bought in BKK.  The ones I had were ok for me starting but kinda cheaply made. I outgrew those already and only want to keep them around for curls. 

Do you have any suggestions of dumbbells like the ones I linked? My concern was that the handles couldnt fit all that much weight. Like say I buy a 40KG set and then go buy another 40KG worth of dumbbells would one handle of those really be able to carry a entire 40kg? 

I think the problem is more that if you want those heavy weights you will have to have plates with a higher diameter (like 10 KG plates). This makes it hard for some exercises. Ideally you would have to look for dumbbells that are long (then you  dont have to have high diameter plates).

I would not worry about a handle being able to handle 40 kg. Its steel so that is not the problem. The problem is more what kind of diameter disks do you have to put on them. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I think the problem is more that if you want those heavy weights you will have to have plates with a higher diameter (like 10 KG plates). This makes it hard for some exercises. Ideally you would have to look for dumbbells that are long (then you  dont have to have high diameter plates).

I would not worry about a handle being able to handle 40 kg. Its steel so that is not the problem. The problem is more what kind of diameter disks do you have to put on them. 

Thanks again for a reply.

I'm actually going to look at the 1090 bowflex dumbbells at https://www.toughmanshop.com/ tomorrow. The price is 15k which is actually cheaper then in the states. Not sure how they can manage that. I never went to that companies warehouse i messaged you about. They said they have them in stock and take CC. 

If I buy them I'll update the thread just for search engine reasons for others looking for something similar in the future. 

Good luck I got ironmaster dumbbells bit expensive for others but i think they are better then bowflex. They go up to 120 lbs.

But you have to import them and that is expensive. 

2017-08-02 16.15.15 (Small).jpg

20190330_125634 (Small).jpg

Edited by robblok

Nice those are nice. 

Yeah I took a look at importing the pair of yes4alls I had from home. Obv those were nowhere near as nice as what you've got there. For me to import them was going to be absurdly expensive I think it was going to be like 5-10usd a kg after getting so many kgs free(not many)

Edited by lovesthespicy

So went to the Toughman shop. It was located in Nonthaburi so about 40mins from my condo. The guy has a warehouse with a small gym where you can try the equipment he basically has everything. He speaks English pretty well also. 

So what he has are knock offs from China. He told me when I asked him where they came from and was being honest which is good. I take it basically all these gym places that have these dumbbells cheap are selling knockoffs from China. 

He ended up giving me a 9% discount off whatever I bought. He gave me a pretty nice bench,  1090 knockoffs, stand for 16k total. He also said the dumbbells have a 3year warranty. If anything goes wrong he said take them to the shop and they will fix them. They put together the bench for me right there and loaded everything up in the car. 

So will see what happens I'll for sure update this if the product is awful or whatever. Seems ok so far anyways.  

Oh yeah one more thing I actually looked on the Chinese lazada style sites for adjustable dumbbells. The best I could find was 14k on there. I'm sure its possible to get them cheaper somehow but seems about what they cost. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2020 at 12:37 PM, lovesthespicy said:

So went to the Toughman shop. It was located in Nonthaburi so about 40mins from my condo. The guy has a warehouse with a small gym where you can try the equipment he basically has everything. He speaks English pretty well also. 

So what he has are knock offs from China. He told me when I asked him where they came from and was being honest which is good. I take it basically all these gym places that have these dumbbells cheap are selling knockoffs from China. 

He ended up giving me a 9% discount off whatever I bought. He gave me a pretty nice bench,  1090 knockoffs, stand for 16k total. He also said the dumbbells have a 3year warranty. If anything goes wrong he said take them to the shop and they will fix them. They put together the bench for me right there and loaded everything up in the car. 

So will see what happens I'll for sure update this if the product is awful or whatever. Seems ok so far anyways.  

Oh yeah one more thing I actually looked on the Chinese lazada style sites for adjustable dumbbells. The best I could find was 14k on there. I'm sure its possible to get them cheaper somehow but seems about what they cost. 

Yes, I mistakenly bought a pair off Lazada but the mechanism was nowhere near that of the bow flex. You get what you pay for! Once you’ve opened the package Lazada will refuse to refund. Learned my lesson.

18 minutes ago, Venom said:

Yes, I mistakenly bought a pair off Lazada but the mechanism was nowhere near that of the bow flex. You get what you pay for! Once you’ve opened the package Lazada will refuse to refund. Learned my lesson.

I've never used the Bowflex ones but mine work great. I use them 4 times a week. I've actually weighed them at different weights on the scale and they come out proper as well.