UK's Harry and Meghan to drop titles and retire as working royals

rooster59

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

Love it when American's make up their own history.  Did you know that 'The Star Spangled Banner' is sung to the tune of an old English drinking song!

And while you're at it, "My Country 'Tis of Thee" is sung to the same tune as "God Save The Queen" 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yogi100 said:

The paparazzi were chasing that car on motor bikes when it crashed in the tunnel. They even stuck their cameras in the car and took pictures of her as she lay dying.

If that's not hounding I dunno what is. What would you call it?

And I did not say anyone was worth a fortune, you did.

I said "he's able to paddle his own financial canoe. So will she, she's already worth a fortune." As I was referring to the future I was obviously talking about Meghan rather than Diane

You said "Her wealth was estimated at 4 million". As you said 'was' I assume you were referring to Diane. Because 'was' is the past tense.

Regardless of whether you were talking about Diane or Meghan where I come from 4 million is a fortune so that may possibly be where I got that "she was ' worth a fortune ' from".

The paparazzi were chasing and pursuing a woman who was the future King's mother out in the company of her new boyfriend, Dodi Fayed, the son of the Billionaire owner of Harrods who had had numerous run ins with the British establishment, and also, he was a Muslim. This rocked the British establishment.

Not only was this newsworthy but it was also in the public interest knowing her position. She cannot have the heart wrenching pictures of children with AIDS in hospitals and with landmine victims that boost her credibility on the world stage and not be held to scrutiny through her private life, it doesn't work that way.

The reference to net worth of 4 million was to Meghan by various magazine estimates, not to Princess Diana who was worth considerably more at the time of her death and afterwards.

I am sure they will thrive in their new roles and earn plenty of money. They won't be popping round next door to borrow a pint of milk, that's for sure.

However, it is good to see the Royal family getting trimmed down and the burden on the public finances reduced. The disgrace that is Prince Andrew is now out of favour, and rightly so. We need a few others to follow quickly as well. Let them get in the real world.

Edited by Scouse123

1 hour ago, Roy Baht said:

This is Prince Edward and Mrs Simpson all over again: another Yank siren leading a Brit royal astray--except this time it doesn't matter because Harry is not heir to the throne. Let them go.

Actually, it was King Edward VIII.  He wasn't heir to the throne, he already had it!  He became Prince Edward after he had abdicated the throne in favour of Mrs. Simpson.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“I think the queen has dealt with this crisis because she has absolutely drawn the line: you can be private people, but you cannot be royal at the same time,”

I'll bet that they'll use the brand to make money, even if they don't officially use the titles.

Bye bye Harry and M, you won't be missed any more than Edward was after he abdicated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, HHTel said:

Actually, it was King Edward VIII.  He wasn't heir to the throne, he already had it!  He became Prince Edward after he had abdicated the throne in favour of Mrs. Simpson.

He was also Prince Edward as Prince of Wales, before he took the throne. It was then that he met Mrs Simpson. The crisis only occurred when, as King, he wished to marry her. He abdicated the throne in favour of his younger brother, as a favour to Mrs Simpson

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'm not really pussy whipped. No, really. You must believe me

If you look carefully you can see Markle's hand in the foliage above Harry.

image.png.895814c4eaf38fcfba73d50aa459bdbd.png

Edited by JonnyF

32 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Almost everybody in the world knows what this woman is all about, including her own father. About the only guy who doesn't is the schmo married to her.

Most women bring nothing into a marriage, this one came with $5M of her own.

Not bad looking either.

I'd call that a result for Harry.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most women bring nothing into a marriage, this one came with $5M of her own.

Not bad looking either.

I'd call that a result for Harry.

Saw somewhere on my newsfeed that last July Harry was reduced to asking Bob Iger of Disney to give his wife a job doing voice overs. Yeah, here it is. Sounds pretty pathetic to me. British prince reduced to hawking his wife's VO skills. https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a30518791/prince-harry-meghan-markle-disney-voice-over-video/

• Like 1

"talking about security how much did the Uk spend on Assange, that was a total waste of money"

I dont wanna digress from the topic but ...

You or I are confused.  The Police presence for the years/months Assange was holed up in that there embassy ... was not to protect him but to arrest him if he ventured out. It was not security it was to hunt him so to speak to arrest him. Its not a waste of money to try and apprehend a fleeing criminal ... well someone wanted anyway.

But sorry if Im missing something.  

Edited by PAWNEESE

The last remaining power of the British monarchy, apart from maintaining lavish lifestyles at the British taxpayer expense, is keeping its own family members in line. You can't blame them for using it with unwavering authority. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 9:14 PM, rooster59 said:

and they will pay their own way in life

And just how will they pay their own way in life?  I suspect they will have many speaking engagements, book sales, insider talk shows etc.  But that will run out as they become old news.  What personal wealth do they have now?  How much are they taking out of the UK treasury or whatever funds the royal family lifestyles?

Hate to cast aspersions on her character, but from a critical point of view some may think it looks like a classic gold digger, money grab marry into money and then divorce the family

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

And just how will they pay their own way in life?  I suspect they will have many speaking engagements, book sales, insider talk shows etc.  But that will run out as they become old news.  What personal wealth do they have now?  How much are they taking out of the UK treasury or whatever funds the royal family lifestyles?

Hate to cast aspersions on her character, but from a critical point of view some may think it looks like a classic gold digger, money grab marry into money and then divorce the family

Well Harry is worth around 40 million by inheritances from his mother and great grandmother.  Meghan is reported at being worth around 5 million.  On top of that, Harry gets 2.5 million quid p.a. from his dad taken from revenues from the Duchy of Cornwall estates.  William gets the same.

As far as taking 'tax payers money', his Sovereign grant was 5% of his income (around 100,000 quid) and that he has now relinquished.  He's paying back the 2 - 3 million used to refurbish his cottage.

Except for the cost of security, which is not of his own doing, he's not costing the treasury anything.  His dad paid for his public service and will continue to pay him the 2.5 mill from the Duchy.

I doubt they'll be anywhere near the breadline.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 9:18 AM, petermik said:

And so they should...if they don,t want to do the job (and fair play to them) then they don,t get the "perks" that goes with it.....feel sorry for Harry though...he,s being "lead up the garden path" so to speak :thumbsup:

Led up the garden path?

And How would that be?

Edited by metempsychotic

16 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

And perhaps it's hypocrites that begin statement with "I hate to cast aspersions" then add a but and begin acting aspersions that have encouraged them to retire from the public eye.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1