Denied entry- Second attempt coming up

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

The richest country in Europe and he still wants to live in a poor country instead of back home? 

Why not apply for Elite visa then....instead of gaming the system.

Where's the richest country in europe

15 hours ago, mike787 said:

[...]why so many TVF member have so many tortured immigration issues[...]

First I have to say that I'm grateful for the many valuable advices provided by TV members.

But all these stories about entry problems and unfriendly IOs paint a wrong picture of what is going on in reality.

How many thousands of people enter LOS, get visas and extensions without any problems for each of the denied visitors?

They just don't write here.

• Like 1

The richest country in Europe and he still wants to live in a poor country instead of back home? 

Can't get elite visa after overstaying 

Thailand isn’t a poor country. Yes there are poor people, like everywhere, including Europe.

21 hours ago, MrMilk said:

Thanks a lot for that information. I will sleep much better tonight knowing this. Tomorrow is a big day!

Check in. They asked me many times when back to Thailand why I did not have return ticket (I am resident in TH with WorkPermit visa). Once my 3 yo kids passport was expiring in less than 6m and at Air Asia DM check-in they initially refused me to fly. Called supervisor, as the kid was only 2yo they allowed me in as no visa would be required in Cambodia, but, again, screening was at check in.

Atleast you have yourself to blame for this. But the good thing is that we all need to make mistakes. I would sit and wait for your passport. Probably you aint in their system yet about overstay etc. Taking a plane to Suvarnabhum is much better. In 8 years i never had problems in Suvarnabhum but 1 month ago i traveled to vietnam through Don Mueang and was questioned...

The OP has a very dodgy-looking history of using tourist visas back to back to basically live in the country (exactly what Thai IOs are looking for), plus an outrageous 42 day overstay which incurred the maximum fine at the airport. I will be shocked if he gets back in so soon via any means, new passport or not, but am going to be keeping a close eye on this thread. 

On 1/19/2020 at 1:08 PM, BritTim said:

I know you do not want to do this, but frankly your best move at this point is to return to Norway, getting a new passport and a Thai tourist visa while there.

This is absolutely the smartest option but based on the OP's penchant to push the envelope (and his luck) with both low-cost airlines and Thai Immigration, it may not be seen as that.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:42 PM, MrMilk said:

My friend once advised me not fall in love down here. I did not follow his advice.

It's a pity that you were advised just the once. They're ALL different in their own, unique ways.

On 1/19/2020 at 2:32 PM, Timwin said:

This is just so insane. Norway with almost 12 times of GDP per capita that of Thailand, the richest country in Europe. Surely would be a win-win for Thailand to allow this guy in but they are treating him like cheap dirt... 

Unfortunately, being a citizen of a nation having one of the world's richest sovereign wealth funds isn't listed in any of the otherwise quite reasonable requirements for longer-term, visa-enabled or short-term visits to Thailand.

Considering he's in-and-out of DMK and (hopefully) UTP on low-cost carriers, there's not much to indicate the OP's p!ss pot is bigger than anyone elses.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Thailand isn’t a poor country. Yes there are poor people, like everywhere, including Europe.

The thread starter is young and of working age so he's hardly poor. Isn't there a system there for jobless people?

If you have the money, fly to Oslo and get a new passport. I think it only takes a few days, that's what I've heard. Then, apply for a tourist visa at the Thai embassy, preferably a METV. That takes exactly one week. You will be back in Thailand within two weeks with a new passport and proper visa, and plenty of time to sort out the marriage.

3 minutes ago, Nordude said:

If you have the money, fly to Oslo and get a new passport. I think it only takes a few days, that's what I've heard. Then, apply for a tourist visa at the Thai embassy, preferably a METV. That takes exactly one week. You will be back in Thailand within two weeks with a new passport and proper visa, and plenty of time to sort out the marriage.

Let's hope that fingerprint scanner at the Thai immigration desk is just a bluff, eh?

4 minutes ago, Nordude said:

I didn't read the last update from OP. Welcome back! ????

1 hour ago, MrMilk said:

Time for a update.

So I went to the airport in Saigon 3.5 hour before departure to be sure. I expected it might take some extra time.

Walked over to the check-in counter and gave her my booking and passport.

She took a quick look at my passport and said "please wait a minute sir".

10 min later she came back and asked "can I see your ticket out of Thailand please?". I handed over the ticket I printed in advance. She took a quick look and checked me in.

At the airport I booked a hotel so I could refer to a hotel booking instead of my apartment.

2.5 hours later I was on the plane.

Good, first step completed.

The flight felt like the shortest flight ever. I was sitting and looking out the window and going over what my answers would be if I got questioning.

Arriving at the airport it was more people than I expected. Maybe a couple of hundreds standing in line, and 8 IO"s checking passports.

I followed my plan which were to try a male IO.

After 30 nerve breaking minutes in line it was my turn.

At this point I felt positive since I haven't seen a single person with any issues.

Well, that was before I entered....

He looked over my passport without saying a word. After a short minute of flipping he said a few words to the IO in the bot next to him. Then shouted out something in thai. The supervisor came over and had a look at my passport. What caught their interest was the recent stamp from Don Muang.

After a couple of minutes more standing there the supervisor told me to follow her.

My legs where pretty shaky at this point and I did my best to focus on my breathing.

Me and the supervisor (female 30') sat down at the office. The atmosphere was quiet okay and completely different than at Don Muang. I felt comfortable again.

She listen when I answered her questions and talked politely to me.

She asked "do you have money" I said yes and put the money on the table along with 2 Visa cards and 1 Mastercard.

I also gave her my printed return ticket to Vietnam and my travel insurance.

She ask "do you have a "hotel booking?" I answered yes and showed her a screenshot on my phone.

She told me to wait a moment and exited the room. 5 min later she came back with another IO (female 50's).

I pretty much repeated what I said to this lady. She asked me "do you speak thai" I said No I don't. I said "I can call my girlfriend who can translate". She looked at me and asked "what did you say?". Her answer made me uncomfortable so I did not repeat.

They had a quick talk between each other without any more questions.

The two ladies told me once again to wait. The first IO supervisor came back shortly after and said "you have to fix your passport before next time okay". At this point I felt so released that I wanted to give her a big hug.

I promised to do that and said thank you.

I was then told to follow her over to the same IO bot where I first came. 

She told me to count my cash in front of him (and the big audience of travels) while he had a look.

I expected a quick stamp and that I could walk away. Nope.

One more IO came over. The security also caught interest in the big gathering and suddenly it was 4 IO's and 1 security standing around me. They kept on talking in Thai and asked me something on several occasions in thai to see if I understood thai. God knows what they said. It felt like they were "talking behind my back" but I might be wrong.

It was taken pictures of every document, pic of me, and the IO typed forever on the computer. I lost track of time at this point but after checking Line more than 30 min passed in the last stage.

At one point I asked him what he was typing but the question went unanswered.

From my understanding I would get a Visa for the days until me outward flight but after checking the stamp he gave me I see it's a normal 30 day stamp.

So here I am, on my way back to my girl.

This will be the last time I do this. Lesson learned. I will apply for a proper visa asap. Its quiet uncomfortable situation to be in, and you feel like a criminal standing there. 

The key points from this experience;

*The cash

*My outward flight

*My hotel booking.

*The fairness of the IO supervisor. I had everything she requested and in the end she gave me what I applied for.

If I didn't have those documents I would be rejected for sure.

A bit smarter and a crazy experience richer I am back in the LOS.

Writing this in the car so probably lots of typos. Will fix later

Holy Hell! Incredible experience.

No judgment here.

5 hours ago, noone223 said:
11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

people falsely using Tourist means to live in Thailand. 

"falsely using Tourist" - geez, you must be a fun "expat" to talk to.

Why? What "falsely using" visa or other inappropriate entitlement to pitch a tent here are you abusing?

2 hours ago, MrMilk said:

She asked me "do you speak thai" I said No I don't. I said "I can call my girlfriend who can translate".

Shouldn't have mentioned your girlfriend, it's an indication you aren't a tourist.

Tourists don't have Thai girlfriends.

Apart from that, well done.

Never give more information than is absolutely required, don't chat, only answer 'yes' or 'no', these people aren't your friends.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 7:19 PM, MrMilk said:

However, I rather spend another night in detention in Bkk, after taking a chance, then to give up and spend 4 weeks in Norway mid-winter waiting for a passport

Another night in detention, frittering away the precious little Thai Immigration 'credit' that you still have? Yes!... great idea. Go for it.

Maybe it's not the size of the gonads that a member alluded to in an earlier post that's as relevant here as the size of another bit of the human body? This thrill of dodging the inevitable Thai Immigration bullet can and will only end in tears.

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Shouldn't have mentioned your girlfriend, it's an indication you aren't a tourist.

He was intending to marry his girlfriend.

Well, I met my now-wife when I was a tourist. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing before we decided to get married. All on tourist visas.

As there is no "about to get married to a Thai national" visa, what other visa could you use if you were not old enough to be retired and not stupid enough to fork out for an Elite visa?

Also, when I came here in my 20s, I had a Thai girlfriend. Are tourists not allowed to have girlfriends?

Your suggestion that "Tourists don't have Thai girlfriends" is like saying "Tourists don't drink Thai beers". Outrageous.

Edited by SteveK

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Well, I met my now-wife when I was a tourist. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing before we decided to get married. All on tourist visas.

Married mine after two weeks, got a married VISA straight away.

Lucky that, as my existing VISA was about to expire.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sure they do....I'm sure lots of men make repeated short trips to Thailand (a.k.a., tourists) to visit their Thai GF (real or imagined).

• Like 2