UK PM Johnson to impose new restrictions on low-skilled migrants post-Brexit: Telegraph

rooster59

Well someone is going to have to do the jobs that these immigrants were doing.

If its going to be locals then you are going to have to pay them more.

So brace yourselves for a sharp rise in the cost of many goods and food items.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rookiescot said:

Well someone is going to have to do the jobs that these immigrants were doing.

If its going to be locals then you are going to have to pay them more.

So brace yourselves for a sharp rise in the cost of many goods and food items.

Do you not agree that a decent day's labour deserves a decent day's pay? The present system where foreign workers work for a pittance that local people would not work for is a scandal and shame on everyone that encourages it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, baansgr said:

Couldn't agree more, I remember back in the early 2000 and befor, all the crops rotting away and people starving as there wasn't anyone to harvest the crops....

Ah, so all those people living on the dole in northern England were just a figment of my imagination then?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheDark said:

I doubt it will be the City bankers who go out to the fields, so probably the ex car factory workers. 

Here’s the dirty little secret. It won’t be locals. They won’t turn up. Farmers and industry will cry out and as good Tories do, they’ll facilitate them. 

Boris and his mates will continue to run low skill worker schemes. They’ll probably be run in similar numbers to what are already there.

Wages will remain suppressed. 

He’ll dress it up a ‘controlled migration’ and his fan boys will nod their heads approvingly. 

Edited by samran
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you not agree that a decent day's labour deserves a decent day's pay? The present system where foreign workers work for a pittance that local people would not work for is a scandal and shame on everyone that encourages it.

That's why I said you are going to have to pay the locals more to do the jobs.

This cost will be passed on to customers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samran said:

And the funny thing is, this situation is a Tory wet dream. They’ve been in power for all but five of the past 24 years now,

What are you talking about? Labour was in power from 1997 to 2010.

Clueless, again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

and customers will have to pay so the workers can have a decent wage- what's wrong with that? I don't like living off the exploitation of workers so the bosses and shareholders can mint it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Another option is simply to import all food and close down the farms. That's a policy no independent country should not be willing to take, but perhaps it will happen.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

and customers will have to pay so the workers can have a decent wage- what's wrong with that? I don't like living off the exploitation of workers so the bosses and shareholders can mint it.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I simply stated that costs will go up.

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What are you talking about? Labour was in power from 1997 to 2010.

Clueless, again.

Thanks for the input there, Twenty Two. 

What is it with you blokes? Has numeracy AND literacy become a problem for you?

First rankings, and now this. I was talking about the AUSTRALIAN points system some blokes keep banging on about, and the need to still run low skill worker permits...

And that it has been an Australian Tory government which has been running it for 19 of the last 24 years. 

Please Mr Holier poster than thou, please please read! 

Edited by samran
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, samran said:

Thanks for the input there, Twenty Two. 

What is it with you blokes? Has numeracy AND literacy become a problem for you?

First rankings, and now this. I was talking about the AUSTRALIAN points system some blokes keep banging on about, and the need to still run low skill worker permits...

And that it has been an Australian Tory government which has been running it. 

Please Mr Holier poster than thou, please please read! 

Why are you banging on about Aussie Tories in a thread about Boris Johnson? This is a thread about low skilled migrants in the UK post Brexit, do try to keep up Bruce. 

The UK won't run out of low skilled workers. If we need them, we'll open up those positions and people will come flocking to us. As they always do, because the UK is a fantastic country where people want to come to live (hence the issue of too many immigrants).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, codebunny said:

If and when there are similar immigrant labour rules as apply in many countries, not just Australia, then the salaries for these jobs that locals allegedly don't want to do, will rise, as they meet the realities of the cost of living....

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Why are you banging on about Aussie Tories in a thread about Boris Johnson? This is a thread about low skilled migrants in the UK post Brexit, do try to keep up Bruce. 

The UK won't run out of low skilled workers. If we need them, we'll open up those positions and people will come flocking to us. As they always do, because the UK is a fantastic country where people want to come to live (hence the issue of too many immigrants).

Oh, do try and keep up? 555. Look in the mirror.

It was raised in this thread. I’m addressing it. 

People keeping their heads in the sand now that they think now they are out of the EU wages will rise as ‘locals’ will take the jobs those nasty low skilled euros took from them.

Just sharing the experience that doesn’t happen. 

And if you think the term ‘Australian style points system’ has never been widely discussed in the context this debate, the you are being extremely disingenuous. 

Never said people won’t still flock to Britain. It’s a lovely country. A bit wet, but pretty good. 

They’ll still come and my bet is they’ll be in larger numbers than now. And you can bet your bottom dollar that it will include lots of under skilled workers. 

Sure, the government will dress it up as ‘managed migration’ but the truth is they’ll bend over for the needs of the farmers and industry to have as many low paid workers as they can get their hands on. Cause that is a Tory article of faith. 

So maybe it’s worth taking your own advice and stop interpreting an opinion different to yours as some sort of Brit bashing. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This announcement from Johnson is a cynical salve dished up for reactionary supporters.

If it amounts to anything it will be little more than a restriction on the lowest skilled immigrants, and likely abandoned if it at all impacts business.

What it will not do is increase working people’s incomes or improve job security.

To do that the government would need to strengthen worker’s rights, tackle wealth distribution and get out of the way of worker’s fighting for better deals through their unions.

We’ve yet to hear Johnson’s plans for worker’s rights and unions, don’t expect it to be good news for workers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Does anyone actually know the optimum population capacity for the UK?

Would it be wise or not, to keep to that optimum?

Can always do what they did in the industrial revolution and force the peasant workers to live in jerry built slums and eat <deleted>. When WW1 began, the health of recruits increased as they started eating the best food they ever had in their lives and didn't live in unhealthy slums.

Strictly speaking, so long as not wanting any green space, population can be unlimited as people can eat processed seaweed and insects. Just don't expect any quality of life.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

No you are totally incorrect, my post was suggesting that the UK is quite capable of protecting our own workers rights without the interference from the EU who seem unable to protect their own workers rights.

If you are unable to respond in kind to posts without smart alec replies, it is sometimes better not to reply at all.

Smart Alec? No, me thinks you have issues being questioned.

If anything, it was a rhetorical question. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1