Time to leave SE ASia?

Teak

That's really interesting about the Bugis. I would think Bali is the obvious choice for Indonesia.

I have to say having come to live in Thailand for the first time for a few months now I'm having second thoughts. I'm not worried about the China virus. What concerns me is the poor air quality and that the driving here is worse than in Uganda. Added to that highly antisocial behaviour among the neighbours, such as burning garbage, constant noise from megaphone village criers, howling packs of dogs lose in the street at night. 

Yes, the massages, food and shopping are better than in Europe, no doubt about it. I hope that is enough to convince me to stay. But then no place is perfect, not even Italy or Spain.

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

How romantic of you! What is it that makes me think your marriages don't last as long as your visa?

You are wrong about that, he would dedicate to at least get a second renewal of 5 years done before leaving her.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Logosone said:

That's really interesting about the Bugis. I would think Bali is the obvious choice for Indonesia.

I have to say having come to live in Thailand for the first time for a few months now I'm having second thoughts. I'm not worried about the China virus. What concerns me is the poor air quality and that the driving here is worse than in Uganda. Added to that highly antisocial behaviour among the neighbours, such as burning garbage, constant noise from megaphone village criers, howling packs of dogs lose in the street at night. 

Yes, the massages, food and shopping are better than in Europe, no doubt about it. I hope that is enough to convince me to stay. But then no place is perfect, not even Italy or Spain.

I must say I have always avoided Bali....an urban snob, I suppose. However, the Thais have a system that you need to learn. Get along with the 'Pu yai ban' of your area. Buy a bottle of foreign whisky...have dinner with him. Yes, it takes some effort. That megaphone will be turned down or off. Dogs....have them come to you at 7 pm and give them some food. They willl wait until 7 pm the next night, and no noise. Roosters....they crow a little at midnight to say 'all is okay".....at 3 am , a little. to say yes, still okay...... At 5 Am louder, it is to tell the women to get up and start cooking the rice.. At 7 AM (louder still) it is to tell the men to get up, eat the rice and get ready for work. It is a system that works. Adapt or leave.

If you have lived in Uganda... Ciangmai is a toilet ....look toward Nong Khai if you like small towns.